7.0 Release Update

12

7.0 Release Update

Anshum Gupta-3
The following branches have been created off master, prior to bumping up of the version:
* branch_7x
* branch_7_0

The versioon on master has been bumped to 8, and all tests pass.

Thanks to everyone (specially Adrien, and Uwe) :) for helping out with the back-compat stuff and being patient.

-Anshum

Re: 7.0 Release Update

Uwe Schindler
Thanks Anshum,

I will setup the Jenkins jobs tomorrow!

Uwe

--
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, 28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: 7.0 Release Update

Anshum Gupta
Thanks Uwe!

Can you clarify if Jenkins = Policeman / Apache or both ?

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 3:03 PM Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Anshum,

I will setup the Jenkins jobs tomorrow!

Uwe

Am 3. Juli 2017 21:22:46 MESZ schrieb Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]>:
The following branches have been created off master, prior to bumping up of the version:
* branch_7x
* branch_7_0

The versioon on master has been bumped to 8, and all tests pass.

Thanks to everyone (specially Adrien, and Uwe) :) for helping out with the back-compat stuff and being patient.

-Anshum

--
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, 28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de

Achterdiek 19, 28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: 7.0 Release Update

Erick Erickson
Anshum:

I'm unclear about whether we should set a 6.7 label (no release
planned at this point, although one wouldn't surprise me). Is there
any use in setting one just to have a marker in place?

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 3:32 PM, Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can do both, if Steve is not faster than I am.
>
> Uwe
>

> Am 4. Juli 2017 00:10:16 MESZ schrieb Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Thanks Uwe!
>>
>> Can you clarify if Jenkins = Policeman / Apache or both ?
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 3:03 PM Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Anshum,
>>>
>>> I will setup the Jenkins jobs tomorrow!
>>>
>>> Uwe

>>> --
>>> Uwe Schindler
>>> Achterdiek 19, 28357 Bremen
>>> https://www.thetaphi.de
>

> --
> Uwe Schindler
> Achterdiek 19, 28357 Bremen
> https://www.thetaphi.de

RE: 7.0 Release Update

Uwe Schindler

I enabled the 7.x builds on ASF and Policeman Jenkins. I did not yet create 7.0 jobs. I just want the 7.x builds succeed.

I disabled all 6.x builds. I’d like to nuke them at some and just leave the 6.6 builds disabled as a fallback for a new point release. This goes in line with Erick’s question about JIRA labels! I’d not go for a 6.7 release, we should just focus on 7.0.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

http://www.thetaphi.de

https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: 7.0 Release Update

Cassandra Targett
We also need Solr Ref Guide Jenkins jobs for 7.x and 7.0 - Steve Rowe
maybe you could help with that?

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 6:53 AM, Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I enabled the 7.x builds on ASF and Policeman Jenkins. I did not yet create
> 7.0 jobs. I just want the 7.x builds succeed.
>

> I disabled all 6.x builds. I’d like to nuke them at some and just leave the
> 6.6 builds disabled as a fallback for a new point release. This goes in line
> with Erick’s question about JIRA labels! I’d not go for a 6.7 release, we
> should just focus on 7.0.
>

> Uwe
>

> -----
>
> Uwe Schindler
>
> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
>
> http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: 7.0 Release Update

sarowe

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 11:04 AM, Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We also need Solr Ref Guide Jenkins jobs for 7.x and 7.0 - Steve Rowe
> maybe you could help with that?

I created 7.x & 7.0 ref guide jobs by cloning the master job.

> On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 6:53 AM, Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I enabled the 7.x builds on ASF and Policeman Jenkins. I did not yet create
>> 7.0 jobs. I just want the 7.x builds succeed.

I went ahead and created the 7.0 jobs on ASF Jenkins - seems like the 7.x jobs are behaving normally.  I did not create the 7.0 jobs on Policeman Jenkins.

>> I disabled all 6.x builds. I’d like to nuke them at some and just leave the
>> 6.6 builds disabled as a fallback for a new point release. This goes in line
>> with Erick’s question about JIRA labels! I’d not go for a 6.7 release, we
>> should just focus on 7.0.

I also disabled the 6.x ref guide job.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Re: 7.0 Release Update

Anshum Gupta
Thanks Steve, and Cassandra.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 8:29 AM Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 11:04 AM, Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We also need Solr Ref Guide Jenkins jobs for 7.x and 7.0 - Steve Rowe
> maybe you could help with that?

I created 7.x & 7.0 ref guide jobs by cloning the master job.

> On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 6:53 AM, Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I enabled the 7.x builds on ASF and Policeman Jenkins. I did not yet create
>> 7.0 jobs. I just want the 7.x builds succeed.

I went ahead and created the 7.0 jobs on ASF Jenkins - seems like the 7.x jobs are behaving normally.  I did not create the 7.0 jobs on Policeman Jenkins.

>> I disabled all 6.x builds. I’d like to nuke them at some and just leave the
>> 6.6 builds disabled as a fallback for a new point release. This goes in line
>> with Erick’s question about JIRA labels! I’d not go for a 6.7 release, we
>> should just focus on 7.0.

I also disabled the 6.x ref guide job.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Re: 7.0 Release Update

Cassandra Targett
Thanks Steve.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Steve, and Cassandra.
>
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 8:29 AM Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> > On Jul 10, 2017, at 11:04 AM, Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > We also need Solr Ref Guide Jenkins jobs for 7.x and 7.0 - Steve Rowe
>> > maybe you could help with that?
>>
>> I created 7.x & 7.0 ref guide jobs by cloning the master job.

>> I went ahead and created the 7.0 jobs on ASF Jenkins - seems like the 7.x
>> jobs are behaving normally.  I did not create the 7.0 jobs on Policeman
>> Jenkins.

>> I also disabled the 6.x ref guide job.
>>
>> --
>> Steve
>> www.lucidworks.com

Re: 7.0 Release Update

Anshum Gupta-3
Here’s an update for 7.0 release.

We are (rightfully) waiting for SOLR-10760 to be completed so that we could deprecate all Trie/LegacyNumeric based fields in 7.0. I discussed this with Hoss, and Steve Rowe, and here are the 2 things that Hoss highlighted that were not directly related for 7.0, but for being able to comfortable deprecate those fields:

"a) points fields have been around for many 6.x releases, but a lot of features silently fail (or fail in weird ways) if you use points ... so i wnat to get those bugs found and documented
b) i want the test randomization in place so that as people create new functionality w/ explicit/implicit assumptions about *either* points or tries the tests will fail on them (someitmes)”

While we wait for this, we should now only get bug fixes and critical deprecations into branch_7_0.

P.S: Like always, if someone thinks otherwise, let everyone else know.

-Anshum

wrote:

[...]

It's more than just SOLR-10760, actually. SOLR-10760 is just about
updating the example schemas. No problem, easy to do, we could commit
it today. But I think focusing on that issue obscures the larger
situation.

If we care about having a quality application, though, we need to
address the other points Hoss shared with Anshum yesterday. This
relies on the test randomization in SOLR-10807 to be sure. The
strategy there is to create sub-tasks for each test schema file you
will randomize and fix/file jiras/suppress tests depending on what
breaks. That effort can be done in parallel, and doesn't rely on Hoss
or Steve because of some magic knowledge only they possess. However,
it will go faster if more people help.

When that's done, assuming we're confident we found everything that
may be broken, can we live with the broken features in a 7.0 release?
I think we should understand there will be another decision point once
we're confident we have updated all the tests and found as many bugs
as we can.

So, my overall point is that if A) we agree that we want to deprecate
Trie* numeric fields, and B) we want to hold up the 7.0 release until
that's done, it's more than just updating the example schemas if we
want to ensure a quality app for users. We still need to fix the tests
and also fix bugs that are going to be really painful for users. And
to get all that done soon, we definitely need some more volunteers.

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here’s an update for 7.0 release.
>
> We are (rightfully) waiting for SOLR-10760 to be completed so that we could
> deprecate all Trie/LegacyNumeric based fields in 7.0. I discussed this with
> Hoss, and Steve Rowe, and here are the 2 things that Hoss highlighted that
> were not directly related for 7.0, but for being able to comfortable
> deprecate those fields:
>
> "a) points fields have been around for many 6.x releases, but a lot of
> features silently fail (or fail in weird ways) if you use points ... so i
> wnat to get those bugs found and documented
> b) i want the test randomization in place so that as people create new
> functionality w/ explicit/implicit assumptions about *either* points or
> tries the tests will fail on them (someitmes)”
>
> While we wait for this, we should now only get bug fixes and critical
> deprecations into branch_7_0.
>
> P.S: Like always, if someone thinks otherwise, let everyone else know.
>
> -Anshum
>

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 8:50 AM, Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks Steve.
>
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks Steve, and Cassandra.
>
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 8:29 AM Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 11:04 AM, Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> We also need Solr Ref Guide Jenkins jobs for 7.x and 7.0 - Steve Rowe
> maybe you could help with that?
>

> I created 7.x & 7.0 ref guide jobs by cloning the master job.
>
> On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 6:53 AM, Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I enabled the 7.x builds on ASF and Policeman Jenkins. I did not yet
> create
> 7.0 jobs. I just want the 7.x builds succeed.
>

> I went ahead and created the 7.0 jobs on ASF Jenkins - seems like the 7.x
> jobs are behaving normally.  I did not create the 7.0 jobs on Policeman
> Jenkins.
>
> I disabled all 6.x builds. I’d like to nuke them at some and just leave
> the
> 6.6 builds disabled as a fallback for a new point release. This goes in
> line
> with Erick’s question about JIRA labels! I’d not go for a 6.7 release,
> we
> should just focus on 7.0.
>

> I also disabled the 6.x ref guide job.
>
> --
> Steve
> www.lucidworks.com

Re: 7.0 Release Update

Anshum Gupta-3
Thanks for wording it in a much better manner Cassandra.

The 2 points from my discussion with Hoss/Steve yesterday, are just about that. Changing the examples is just a part of what’s needed to *confidently* deprecate the Trie/Legacy Numeric fields.

I intend to start helping out with the test, but as you mentioned, the more of us contribute to it, the sooner we’d be in a spot to make the decision about (not) deprecating the fields in 7.0.

-Anshum

wrote:

[...]

Yonik Seeley
On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for wording it in a much better manner Cassandra.
>
> The 2 points from my discussion with Hoss/Steve yesterday, are just about
> that. Changing the examples is just a part of what’s needed to *confidently*
> deprecate the Trie/Legacy Numeric fields.
>
> I intend to start helping out with the test, but as you mentioned, the more
> of us contribute to it, the sooner we’d be in a spot to make the decision
> about (not) deprecating the fields in 7.0.

I'll be back home next week and can help out as well.

Re: 7.0 Release Update

Chris Hostetter-3

: So, my overall point is that if A) we agree that we want to deprecate
: Trie* numeric fields, and B) we want to hold up the 7.0 release until
: that's done, it's more than just updating the example schemas if we
: want to ensure a quality app for users. We still need to fix the tests
: and also fix bugs that are going to be really painful for users. And
: to get all that done soon, we definitely need some more volunteers.

I've beefed up the description of SOLR-10807 with tips on how people can
help out...

http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: 7.0 Release Update

Cassandra Targett
I believe the only remaining blocker to SOLR-10803 (to mark all Trie*
fields as deprecated) is SOLR-11023, which Hoss was working on. As he
noted last night, he is off for vacation for the next 2 weeks. Is
anyone else available to work on it so 7.0 isn't stalled for 2+ more
weeks?

Now would also be a good time to look over any other bugs with
PointFields and make a case if any should be considered blockers for
7.0. I think they all share a label:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20numeric-tries-to-points

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Chris Hostetter
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> : So, my overall point is that if A) we agree that we want to deprecate
> : Trie* numeric fields, and B) we want to hold up the 7.0 release until
> : that's done, it's more than just updating the example schemas if we
> : want to ensure a quality app for users. We still need to fix the tests
> : and also fix bugs that are going to be really painful for users. And
> : to get all that done soon, we definitely need some more volunteers.
>
> I've beefed up the description of SOLR-10807 with tips on how people can
> help out...

> -Hoss
> http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: 7.0 Release Update

Anshum Gupta
I will *try* to get to it, but can't confirm. If someone else has a spare cycle and can take it up before I get to it, please do.

-Anshum

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> : So, my overall point is that if A) we agree that we want to deprecate
> : Trie* numeric fields, and B) we want to hold up the 7.0 release until
> : that's done, it's more than just updating the example schemas if we
> : want to ensure a quality app for users. We still need to fix the tests
> : and also fix bugs that are going to be really painful for users. And
> : to get all that done soon, we definitely need some more volunteers.
>
> I've beefed up the description of SOLR-10807 with tips on how people can
> help out...

> -Hoss
> http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: 7.0 Release Update

sarowe
I worked through the list of issues with the "numeric-tries-to-points” label and marked those as 7.0 Blocker that seemed reasonable, on the assumption that we should at a minimum give clear error messages for points non-compatibility.

If others don’t agree with the Blocker assessments I’ve made, I’m willing to discuss on the issues.

I plan on starting to work on the remaining 7.0 blockers now.  I would welcome assistance in clearing them up.

Here’s a JIRA query to see just the remaining 7.0 blockers, of which there are currently 12:

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project+in+(SOLR,LUCENE)+AND+fixVersion=7.0+AND+priority=Blocker+AND+resolution=Unresolved>

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Jul 25, 2017, at 2:41 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I will *try* to get to it, but can't confirm. If someone else has a spare cycle and can take it up before I get to it, please do.
>
> -Anshum
>
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:44 AM Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe the only remaining blocker to SOLR-10803 (to mark all Trie*
> fields as deprecated) is SOLR-11023, which Hoss was working on. As he
> noted last night, he is off for vacation for the next 2 weeks. Is
> anyone else available to work on it so 7.0 isn't stalled for 2+ more
> weeks?
>
> Now would also be a good time to look over any other bugs with
> PointFields and make a case if any should be considered blockers for
> 7.0. I think they all share a label:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20numeric-tries-to-points
>
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Chris Hostetter
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > : So, my overall point is that if A) we agree that we want to deprecate
> > : Trie* numeric fields, and B) we want to hold up the 7.0 release until
> > : that's done, it's more than just updating the example schemas if we
> > : want to ensure a quality app for users. We still need to fix the tests
> > : and also fix bugs that are going to be really painful for users. And
> > : to get all that done soon, we definitely need some more volunteers.
> >
> > I've beefed up the description of SOLR-10807 with tips on how people can
> > help out...
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10807
> >

> > -Hoss
> > http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: 7.0 Release Update

sarowe
I’ve finished up addressing blockers.  The only remaining one is SOLR-10939: JoinQParser gives incorrect results with numeric PointsFields, which Yonik is working on.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Jul 25, 2017, at 7:02 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I worked through the list of issues with the "numeric-tries-to-points” label and marked those as 7.0 Blocker that seemed reasonable, on the assumption that we should at a minimum give clear error messages for points non-compatibility.
>
> If others don’t agree with the Blocker assessments I’ve made, I’m willing to discuss on the issues.
>
> I plan on starting to work on the remaining 7.0 blockers now.  I would welcome assistance in clearing them up.
>
> Here’s a JIRA query to see just the remaining 7.0 blockers, of which there are currently 12:
>
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project+in+(SOLR,LUCENE)+AND+fixVersion=7.0+AND+priority=Blocker+AND+resolution=Unresolved>
>
> --
> Steve
> www.lucidworks.com
>
>> On Jul 25, 2017, at 2:41 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I will *try* to get to it, but can't confirm. If someone else has a spare cycle and can take it up before I get to it, please do.
>>
>> -Anshum
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:44 AM Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I believe the only remaining blocker to SOLR-10803 (to mark all Trie*
>> fields as deprecated) is SOLR-11023, which Hoss was working on. As he
>> noted last night, he is off for vacation for the next 2 weeks. Is
>> anyone else available to work on it so 7.0 isn't stalled for 2+ more
>> weeks?
>>
>> Now would also be a good time to look over any other bugs with
>> PointFields and make a case if any should be considered blockers for
>> 7.0. I think they all share a label:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20numeric-tries-to-points
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Chris Hostetter
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> : So, my overall point is that if A) we agree that we want to deprecate
>>> : Trie* numeric fields, and B) we want to hold up the 7.0 release until
>>> : that's done, it's more than just updating the example schemas if we
>>> : want to ensure a quality app for users. We still need to fix the tests
>>> : and also fix bugs that are going to be really painful for users. And
>>> : to get all that done soon, we definitely need some more volunteers.
>>>
>>> I've beefed up the description of SOLR-10807 with tips on how people can
>>> help out...
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10807
>>>

>>> -Hoss
>>> http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: 7.0 Release Update

sarowe
Oh, SOLR-11183 is also a Blocker, I just put 7.0 as fixVersion so that it will show up on the 7.0 Blockers JIRA query.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Aug 4, 2017, at 8:28 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve finished up addressing blockers.  The only remaining one is SOLR-10939: JoinQParser gives incorrect results with numeric PointsFields, which Yonik is working on.
>
> --
> Steve
> www.lucidworks.com
>
>> On Jul 25, 2017, at 7:02 PM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I worked through the list of issues with the "numeric-tries-to-points” label and marked those as 7.0 Blocker that seemed reasonable, on the assumption that we should at a minimum give clear error messages for points non-compatibility.
>>
>> If others don’t agree with the Blocker assessments I’ve made, I’m willing to discuss on the issues.
>>
>> I plan on starting to work on the remaining 7.0 blockers now.  I would welcome assistance in clearing them up.
>>
>> Here’s a JIRA query to see just the remaining 7.0 blockers, of which there are currently 12:
>>
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project+in+(SOLR,LUCENE)+AND+fixVersion=7.0+AND+priority=Blocker+AND+resolution=Unresolved>
>>
>> --
>> Steve
>> www.lucidworks.com
>>
>>> On Jul 25, 2017, at 2:41 PM, Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I will *try* to get to it, but can't confirm. If someone else has a spare cycle and can take it up before I get to it, please do.
>>>
>>> -Anshum
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:44 AM Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I believe the only remaining blocker to SOLR-10803 (to mark all Trie*
>>> fields as deprecated) is SOLR-11023, which Hoss was working on. As he
>>> noted last night, he is off for vacation for the next 2 weeks. Is
>>> anyone else available to work on it so 7.0 isn't stalled for 2+ more
>>> weeks?
>>>
>>> Now would also be a good time to look over any other bugs with
>>> PointFields and make a case if any should be considered blockers for
>>> 7.0. I think they all share a label:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20numeric-tries-to-points

12