AIX platform: Solr goes down with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError with Open JDK 11

AIX platform: Solr goes down with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError with Open JDK 11

balu.es@gmail.com
Hi,

I am running solr 7.5.0 with Open JDK11 in AIX platform. When i trigger data
import operation , solr is going down with below error on AIX platform but,
the same thing works in RHEL platform.

The same solr 7.5.0 data import operation is success with JDK8 in same AIX
platform.

*Error from solr.log  Solr 7.5.0 with Open JDK 11 on AIX platform:*

/*ERROR (coreContainerWorkExecutor-2-thread-1) [   ] o.a.s.c.CoreContainer
Error waiting for SolrCore to be loaded on startup
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Failed to create a thread: retVal -1073741830,
errno 11*/

I tried setting java memory as 8G *-Xms8g -Xmx8g* but, still i face the
issue in AIX platform.

Any facing similar issue?

Please help.

Thanks,
Bala

Re: AIX platform: Solr goes down with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError with Open JDK 11

Shawn Heisey-2
On 2/4/2019 5:53 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I am running solr 7.5.0 with Open JDK11 in AIX platform. When i trigger data
> import operation , solr is going down with below error on AIX platform but,
> the same thing works in RHEL platform.
>
> The same solr 7.5.0 data import operation is success with JDK8 in same AIX
> platform.

Java 11 is not qualified with any version of Solr yet.  We don't know
whether it works or not.  Java 9 is known to work with Solr 7.x.  My
recommendation here is to stick with Java 8 until we can find and fix
any problems with 11.

> *Error from solr.log  Solr 7.5.0 with Open JDK 11 on AIX platform:*
>
> /*ERROR (coreContainerWorkExecutor-2-thread-1) [   ] o.a.s.c.CoreContainer
> Error waiting for SolrCore to be loaded on startup
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Failed to create a thread: retVal -1073741830,
> errno 11*/

This OutOfMemoryError is not actually due to memory.  Java is saying
that it failed to create a thread.

Typically this is caused by the OS restricting the number of processes a
user is allowed to start.  Sometimes the OS might treat threads
differently than processes so a different limit might need to be
increased ... I have no idea whether AIX behaves that way or not.

The fact that it works with Java 8 is a little odd.  Maybe Java 11
itself creates more threads than 8 does.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: AIX platform: Solr goes down with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError with Open JDK 11

Erick Erickson
Check your ulimit for max processes and max open file handles, those
typically are places where things go weird, and the error message
isn't always that helpful. Usually we want 65K of each...