About 2.7.4 Release

Brahma Reddy
Hi All

It has been six months for branch-2.7 release.. is there any near plan for 2.7.4..?

Thanks&Regards
Brahma Reddy Battula

Re: About 2.7.4 Release

Akira Ajisaka-2
Probably 2.8.0 will be released soon.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13866?focusedCommentId=15898379&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15898379

I'm thinking 2.7.4 release process starts after 2.8.0 release,
so 2.7.4 will be released in April or May. (hopefully)

Thoughts?

Regards,
Akira

On 2017/03/01 21:01, Brahma Reddy Battula wrote:
> Hi All
>
> It has been six months for branch-2.7 release.. is there any near plan for 2.7.4..?
>

> Thanks&Regards
> Brahma Reddy Battula

Re: About 2.7.4 Release

Marton Elek
Is there any reason to wait for 2.8 with 2.7.4?

Unfortunately the previous  thread about release cadence has been ended without final decision. But if I understood well, there was more or less an agreement about that it would be great to achieve more frequent releases, if possible (with or without written rules and EOL policy).

I personally prefer to be more closer to the scheduling part of the proposal:

"A minor release on the latest major line should be every 6 months, and a maintenance release on a minor release (as there may be concurrently
maintained minor releases) every 2 months".

I don't know what is the hardest part of creating new minor/maintenance releases. But if the problems are technical (smoketesting, unit tests, old release script, anything else) I would be happy to do any task for new maintenance releases (or more frequent releases).

Regards,
Marton

I'm thinking 2.7.4 release process starts after 2.8.0 release,
so 2.7.4 will be released in April or May. (hopefully)

Thoughts?

Regards,
Akira

On 2017/03/01 21:01, Brahma Reddy Battula wrote:
> Hi All
>
> It has been six months for branch-2.7 release.. is there any near plan for 2.7.4..?
>

> Thanks&Regards
> Brahma Reddy Battula

Re: About 2.7.4 Release

Sangjin Lee
I don't think there should be any linkage between releasing 2.8.0 and
2.7.4. If we have a volunteer for releasing 2.7.4, we should go full speed
ahead. We still need a volunteer from a PMC member or a committer as some
tasks may require certain privileges, but I don't think it precludes
working with others to close down the release.

I for one would like to see more frequent releases, and being able to
automate release steps more would go a long way.

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 2:16 AM, Marton Elek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any reason to wait for 2.8 with 2.7.4?
>
> Unfortunately the previous  thread about release cadence has been ended
> without final decision. But if I understood well, there was more or less an
> agreement about that it would be great to achieve more frequent releases,
> if possible (with or without written rules and EOL policy).
>
> I personally prefer to be more closer to the scheduling part of the
> proposal:
>
> "A minor release on the latest major line should be every 6 months, and a
> maintenance release on a minor release (as there may be concurrently
> maintained minor releases) every 2 months".
>
> I don't know what is the hardest part of creating new minor/maintenance
> releases. But if the problems are technical (smoketesting, unit tests, old
> release script, anything else) I would be happy to do any task for new
> maintenance releases (or more frequent releases).
>
> Regards,
> Marton

Re: About 2.7.4 Release

Andrew Wang
Our release steps are documented on the wiki:

2.6/2.7:

https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToReleasePreDSBCR

2.8+:
https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease

I think given the push toward 2.8 and 3.0, there's less interest in
streamlining the 2.6 and 2.7 release processes. CHANGES.txt is the biggest
pain, and that's fixed in 2.8+.

Current pain points for 2.8+ include:

# fixing up JIRA versions and the release notes, though I somewhat
addressed this with the versions script for 3.x
# making and staging an RC and sending the vote email still requires a lot
of manual steps
# publishing the release is also quite manual

I think the RC issues can be attacked with enough scripting. Steve had an
ant file that automated a lot of this for slider. I think it'd be nice to
have a nightly Jenkins job that builds an RC, since I've spent a day or two
for each 3.x alpha fixing build issues.

Publishing can be attacked via a mix of scripting and revamping the darned
website. Forrest is pretty bad compared to the newer static site generators
out there (e.g. need to write XML instead of markdown, it's hard to review
a staging site because of all the absolute links, hard to customize, did I
mention XML?), and the look and feel of the site is from the 00s. We don't
actually have that much site content, so it should be possible to migrate
to a new system.

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Sangjin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think there should be any linkage between releasing 2.8.0 and
> 2.7.4. If we have a volunteer for releasing 2.7.4, we should go full speed
> ahead. We still need a volunteer from a PMC member or a committer as some
> tasks may require certain privileges, but I don't think it precludes
> working with others to close down the release.
>
> I for one would like to see more frequent releases, and being able to
> automate release steps more would go a long way.
>
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 2:16 AM, Marton Elek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Is there any reason to wait for 2.8 with 2.7.4?
> >
> > Unfortunately the previous  thread about release cadence has been ended
> > without final decision. But if I understood well, there was more or less
> an
> > agreement about that it would be great to achieve more frequent releases,
> > if possible (with or without written rules and EOL policy).
> >
> > I personally prefer to be more closer to the scheduling part of the
> > proposal:
> >
> > "A minor release on the latest major line should be every 6 months, and a
> > maintenance release on a minor release (as there may be concurrently
> > maintained minor releases) every 2 months".
> >
> > I don't know what is the hardest part of creating new minor/maintenance
> > releases. But if the problems are technical (smoketesting, unit tests,
> old
> > release script, anything else) I would be happy to do any task for new
> > maintenance releases (or more frequent releases).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Marton

Re: About 2.7.4 Release

Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli-2
I was planning to take this up, celebrating my return from my paternity leave of absence for quite a while.

Marton, let me know if you do want to take this up instead and we can work together.

Thanks
+Vinod

> On Mar 7, 2017, at 9:13 AM, Sangjin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If we have a volunteer for releasing 2.7.4, we should go full speed
> ahead. We still need a volunteer from a PMC member or a committer as some
> tasks may require certain privileges, but I don't think it precludes
> working with others to close down the release.

Re: About 2.7.4 Release

Allen Wittenauer-6

> On Mar 7, 2017, at 2:51 PM, Andrew Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think it'd be nice to
> have a nightly Jenkins job that builds an RC,

        Just a reminder that any such build cannot be used for an actual release:

http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#owned-controlled-hardware

Re: About 2.7.4 Release

Marton Elek

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am opening the following JIRAs:

1. Create dev-support scripts to do the bulk jira updates required by the releases (check remaining jiras, update fix versions, etc.)

2. Create a 'wizzard' like script which guide through the release process (all the steps from the wiki pages, not just a build. But it may be an extension of the existing script):

  Goals:
  * It would work even without the apache infrastructure: with custom configuration (forked repositories/alternative nexus), it would be possible to test the scripts even by a non-commiter.
  * every step which could be automated should be scripted (create git branches, build,...). if something could be not automated there an explanation could be printed out, and wait for confirmation
  * Before dangerous steps (eg. bulk jira update) we can ask for confirmation and explain what will be happened (eg. the following jira items will be changed: ....)
  * The run should be idempontent (and there should be an option to continue the release from any steps).

3. Migrate the forrest based home page to a use a modern static site generator.

  Goals: * existing links should work (or at least redirected)
             * It should be easy to add more content required by a release automatically

4. It's not about the release, but I think the current maven site theme also could be updated to use a (more modern) theme, which could be similar to the main site from step 3.

Let me know if you have any other suggestion for actionable items. Or comment the Jiras if you have more specific requirements.

Marton

ps: Vinod, I will contact with you, soon.

I was planning to take this up, celebrating my return from my paternity leave of absence for quite a while.

Marton, let me know if you do want to take this up instead and we can work together.

Thanks
+Vinod

> On Mar 7, 2017, at 9:13 AM, Sangjin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If we have a volunteer for releasing 2.7.4, we should go full speed
> ahead. We still need a volunteer from a PMC member or a committer as some
> tasks may require certain privileges, but I don't think it precludes
> working with others to close down the release.

Re: About 2.7.4 Release

Marton Elek
I think the main point here is the testing of the release script, not the creation of the official release.

I think there should be an option to configure the release tool to use a forked github repo and/or a private playground nexus instead of official apache repos. In this case it would be easy to test regularly the tool, even by a non-committer (or even from Jenkins). But it would be just a smoketest of the release script...

Marton

> On Mar 7, 2017, at 2:51 PM, Andrew Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think it'd be nice to
> have a nightly Jenkins job that builds an RC,

        Just a reminder that any such build cannot be used for an actual release:

http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#owned-controlled-hardware

Re: About 2.7.4 Release

Allen Wittenauer-6

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 10:55 AM, Marton Elek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think the main point here is the testing of the release script, not the creation of the official release.

        … except the Hadoop PMC was doing exactly this from 2.3.0 up until recently. Which means we have a few years worth of releases that are effectively untrustworthy despite being signed.  One of the (many) reasons I rewrote the release process was to get Hadoop back in line with ASF policy.  Given the massive turn over in committers, I don’t want us to repeat the same mistakes (like we usually do).

> I think there should be an option to configure the release tool to use a forked github repo and/or a private playground nexus instead of official apache repos. In this case it would be easy to test regularly the tool, even by a non-committer (or even from Jenkins). But it would be just a smoketest of the release script…

        This is already possible:
                * don’t use —asfrelease
                * use —sign, —native, and, if appropriate for your platform, —docker and —dockercache

Re: About 2.7.4 Release

Allen Wittenauer-6

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 1:54 PM, Allen Wittenauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is already possible:
> * don’t use —asfrelease
> * use —sign, —native, and, if appropriate for your platform, —docker and —dockercache

Oh yeah, I forgot about this:

https://effectivemachines.com/2016/08/16/building-your-own-apache-hadoop-distribution/

RE: About 2.7.4 Release

Brahma Reddy
Hi All

Any update on 2.7.4 ..?  Gentle Remainder!! Let me know anything I can help on this..

Regards
Brahma Reddy Battula