Access to Jira

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Access to Jira

Ruchir Choudhry
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SOLR/issues/SOLR-12128?filter=allopenissues

Pls help me to get access to JIRA so that i can pickup tickets to work on.


Thanks in advance,
Ruchir
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Access to Jira

Erick Erickson
You need to create a JIRA account. That said, I don't believe you can
do things like assign tickets to yourself or the like unless you are a
committer.

That said, you _can_ attach patches, make comments and participate in
the development. What people usually do is
1> add a comment to the JIRA you choose that you want to work on it.
2> it's often useful to ask if any committers are interested, as it'll
take one to actually put your changes in to the code line.
3> discuss the approach you want to use (depending on how complex the
work is, this may be virtually no discussion or one that lasts weeks).
4> attach any patches and ask for review. There has been some work
with ReviewBoard, but that's not used consistently.
5> Committers are often busy so you may need to gently prompt to get
someone to commit the changes.

NOTE: Discussing whether there's any widespread interest in the
feature/fix and/or your approach is usually a good idea for several
reasons.
> it'll save you a lot of work if the initial reply is "that's too special purpose to add to the code base".
> it'll save you a lot of work if someone says "that's already been fixed by SOLR--####"
> it'll save you a lot of work if someone says "that's mostly already done, take a look at blah.java"

You can see a theme here ;).

Best,
Erick

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Ruchir Choudhry
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SOLR/issues/SOLR-12128?filter=allopenissues
>
> Pls help me to get access to JIRA so that i can pickup tickets to work on.
>
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ruchir
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Access to Jira

Ruchir Choudhry
Thank you Erick ,

Will follow the guidelines shared by you.

Regards,
Ruchir



On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 5:26 PM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You need to create a JIRA account. That said, I don't believe you can
> do things like assign tickets to yourself or the like unless you are a
> committer.
>
> That said, you _can_ attach patches, make comments and participate in
> the development. What people usually do is
> 1> add a comment to the JIRA you choose that you want to work on it.
> 2> it's often useful to ask if any committers are interested, as it'll
> take one to actually put your changes in to the code line.
> 3> discuss the approach you want to use (depending on how complex the
> work is, this may be virtually no discussion or one that lasts weeks).
> 4> attach any patches and ask for review. There has been some work
> with ReviewBoard, but that's not used consistently.
> 5> Committers are often busy so you may need to gently prompt to get
> someone to commit the changes.
>
> NOTE: Discussing whether there's any widespread interest in the
> feature/fix and/or your approach is usually a good idea for several
> reasons.
> > it'll save you a lot of work if the initial reply is "that's too special
> purpose to add to the code base".
> > it'll save you a lot of work if someone says "that's already been fixed
> by SOLR--####"
> > it'll save you a lot of work if someone says "that's mostly already
> done, take a look at blah.java"
>
> You can see a theme here ;).
>
> Best,
> Erick
>
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Ruchir Choudhry
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SOLR/issues/SOLR-12128?filter=
> allopenissues
> >
> > Pls help me to get access to JIRA so that i can pickup tickets to work
> on.
> >
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Ruchir
>