Apache Tomcat version with an integrated jre version for Java 11

Apache Tomcat version with an integrated jre version for Java 11

Santolaya García, E.

Hi Apache SOLR team,

We belong to SAP Identity Manager Team in Accenture company. We are users of Solr that makes use of Apache Tomcat (our current version is Apache Tomcat 8.5.23).

Every time there is a new Java version, to avoid vulnerabilities issues, we always update the Java Runtime Environment (jre) to the last updated Java version. Our current jre version (for Java 10) is 10.0.2:

In this case, since Java 11 is the last released version, Oracle has moved away from running a shared JRE engine that is pre-installed on servers. In this case we would need to have a ‘custom’ JRE using JLINK which is embedded within the application’s deployment packages or installers, to replace the previous jre 10.0.2, since Oracle is no longer offering a standalone JRE installer for Java 11.

Do you know if there is any new Apache Tomcat version with an integrated jre version and compatible with Solr?

Any help would be much appreciated from your side.

Please let us know your comments.

Thank you in advance,

Enrique

www.accenture.com

Re: Apache Tomcat version with an integrated jre version for Java 11

Shawn Heisey-2
On 11/19/2018 10:04 AM, Santolaya García, E. wrote:
> We belong to SAP Identity Manager Team in Accenture company. We are
> users of Solr that makes use of Apache Tomcat (our current version is
> Apache Tomcat 8.5.23).
>
> Every time there is a new Java version, to avoid vulnerabilities
> issues, we always update the Java Runtime Environment (jre) to the
> last updated Java version. Our current jre version (for Java 10) is
> 10.0.2:

Your picture did not make it to the mailing list.  We cannot see it.

> Do you know if there is any new Apache Tomcat version with an
> integrated jre version and compatible with Solr?

Since Solr version 5.0.0, deploying Solr in a user-provided container
(instead of running it with the Jetty that is included in the download)
is no longer supported.  You can probably make it work in Tomcat, but
you're completely on your own:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/WhyNoWar

Solr 7.0.0 was the first release that explicitly supported Java 9 --
versions before this are known to NOT work in Java 9 and later.  There
was a problem starting early 7.x releases with Java 10 (and likely Java
11 as well) because the script couldn't detect the java version
correctly.  That problem should be fixed with the latest version, but we
haven't done any official compatibility testing with Java versions newer
than 9.  Running Solr 7.5.0 in Java 10 or 11 will PROBABLY work, but we
cannot say for certain.

The tests included in Solr's code are run regularly with JDK 9, 10, and
11.  The master branch is also tested with an early access release of
JDK 12.  As far as I know, these test runs have not turned up any
incompatibilities, but there might be problems that we don't know about.

Thanks,
Shawn