Are 1.2 and 1.3/trunk indexes compatible?

Are 1.2 and 1.3/trunk indexes compatible?

Chris Harris-2
What are the odds that I can plop an index created in Solr 1.2 into a
Solr 1.3 and/or Solr trunk install and have things work correctly?
This would be more convenient than reindexing, but I'm wondering how
dangerous it is, and hence how much testing is required.

Re: Are 1.2 and 1.3/trunk indexes compatible?

Ryan McKinley
It *should* work as a drop in replacement.  Check:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk/CHANGES.txt

So you should be good.  Note that trunk has a newer verison of lucene,
so the index will be automatically upgraded and you can't go back from
there.

so make sure to backup before trying, but it should go smoothly...

ryan

Chris Harris wrote:
> What are the odds that I can plop an index created in Solr 1.2 into a
> Solr 1.3 and/or Solr trunk install and have things work correctly?
> This would be more convenient than reindexing, but I'm wondering how
> dangerous it is, and hence how much testing is required.

Re: Are 1.2 and 1.3/trunk indexes compatible?

Yonik Seeley-2
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Chris Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What are the odds that I can plop an index created in Solr 1.2 into a
>  Solr 1.3 and/or Solr trunk install and have things work correctly?

Should be relatively high.
I'd never do it on a live index, regardless of what is advertised,
without first trying it on a test copy.  If you are in a replicated
environment, try on a single slave.  If that works correctly, then
convert all other slaves before converting the master.

Re: Are 1.2 and 1.3/trunk indexes compatible?

Chris Harris-2
Looks like that can't-go-back bit hasn't made it into CHANGES.txt yet.
Might want to eventually add that somewhere particularly obvious, to
help out people who assume they could downgrade. Maybe under
"Upgrading from Solr 1.2"?

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It *should* work as a drop in replacement.  Check:
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk/CHANGES.txt
>
>  So you should be good.  Note that trunk has a newer verison of lucene,
>  so the index will be automatically upgraded and you can't go back from
>  there.
>
>  so make sure to backup before trying, but it should go smoothly...
>
>  ryan
>

>  Chris Harris wrote:
>  > What are the odds that I can plop an index created in Solr 1.2 into a
>  > Solr 1.3 and/or Solr trunk install and have things work correctly?
>  > This would be more convenient than reindexing, but I'm wondering how
>  > dangerous it is, and hence how much testing is required.

Re: Are 1.2 and 1.3/trunk indexes compatible?

Ryan McKinley
good point:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/solr/trunk/CHANGES.txt?r1=641573&r2=641572&pathrev=641573

ryan