Beginner question: index of Relational database?

Beginner question: index of Relational database?

Guthrie-2
I have a list of video files in an Excel Spreadsheet, and plan to put
it into a mySQL database.

What I want to do is then have a search mechanism to search into the
fields of the rows of the entries, and return an ordered list of
hits, so the user could then view those relevant excerpts of video.
(Later I will include audio, text, graphics, etc..)

Could I use Lucene to do this? I would have to get it to build an
index of the database elements from one (few?) of the fields of that
row, and then search that index and return something that would let
me display those entries. All of the examples and discussions I saw
were for indexing elements of a file system or web site.

Thanks for any insights or suggestions!

Gregory Guthrie

MUM Faculty Mail - FM 1068
Fairfield, IA 52557

http://www.mum.edu/~guthrie
(641)472-7773

Re: Beginner question: index of Relational database?

Daniel Naber-8
On Wednesday 14 March 2007 04:28, Gregory Guthrie wrote:

> What I want to do is then have a search mechanism to search into the
> fields of the rows of the entries, and return an ordered list of
> hits,

See
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-109358021acbfc89456e446740dc2bbf9049950f

Regards
 Daniel

http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: Beginner question: index of Relational database?

Guthrie-2
Thanks.

Any known existing examples? (I'm at the Lucene learning stage!)

Best,
Gregory

At 03:04 AM 3/14/2007, you wrote:

>On Wednesday 14 March 2007 04:28, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
>
> > What I want to do is then have a search mechanism to search into the
> > fields of the rows of the entries, and return an ordered list of
> > hits,
>
>See
>http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-109358021acbfc89456e446740dc2bbf9049950f
>
>Regards
>  Daniel
>
>--
>http://www.danielnaber.de

Gregory Guthrie

MUM Faculty Mail - FM 1068
Fairfield, IA 52557

http://www.mum.edu/~guthrie
(641)472-7773

Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: Beginner question: index of Relational database?

Alexey Sergeev
Hello Gregory,

Try to use Compass: http://www.opensymphony.com/compass/

Best regards, Alexey

Gregory Guthrie пишет:

> Thanks.
>
> Any known existing examples? (I'm at the Lucene learning stage!)
>
> Best,
> Gregory
>

> At 03:04 AM 3/14/2007, you wrote:
>> On Wednesday 14 March 2007 04:28, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
>>
>> > What I want to do is then have a search mechanism to search into the
>> > fields of the rows of the entries, and return an ordered list of
>> > hits,
>>
>> See
>> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-109358021acbfc89456e446740dc2bbf9049950f
>>

>> Regards
>> Daniel
>>
>> --
>> http://www.danielnaber.de

> Gregory Guthrie
>
> MUM Faculty Mail - FM 1068
> Fairfield, IA 52557
>
> http://www.mum.edu/~guthrie
> (641)472-7773

Field static methods missing?

Guthrie-2
Beginner question(!);

Many of the examples that I see use what look like static factory
methods on Field, Field.Text(..), Field.Keyword(..), etc.

But in the current download package lucene-core-2.1.0.jar I don't see
any of these methods.
And, the JavaDoc pages
(http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/document/Field.html)
do not include them.

Are they obsolete? Documentation old? Particularly I'm unclear on
what to replace
     Field.KeyWord("date", dateWritten) with.

Thanks.

Gregory Guthrie
[hidden email]
         MUM Faculty -FM1068
         Fairfield, IA 52557

Re: Field static methods missing?

Chris Hostetter-3

: Are they obsolete? Documentation old? Particularly I'm unclear on
: what to replace
:      Field.KeyWord("date", dateWritten) with.

well written examples/articles should tell you which version of lucene
they are using ... those methods were deprecatd in 1.9, 2.0 (being a
major revision) eliminated those deprecated methods.

The FAQ covers how to figure out what you should do to try and migrate 1.4
code to 2.x...

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LuceneFAQ#head-86d479476c63a2579e867b75d4faa9664ef6cf4d

...in general, if you just want to review the deprecation info in the
javadocs, the 1.9 javadocs are available on the site...

http://lucene.apache.org/java/1_9_0/api/index.html

(all webpages/docs from the last several releases are archived online, see
the "Site Versions" option in the left nav)

-Hoss