Beginner questions: Jetty and solr with utf-8 + cached page + dedup

Beginner questions: Jetty and solr with utf-8 + cached page + dedup

Vinci
Hi all,

I am new to Solr and just make the Solr (3-8-nightly) run on the machine.
I want the System to be more portable so I want to use the jetty Solr in example...before I tried to index the documents, I would like to ask some question:
1. Do I need to pay special attention when I dealing with query in utf-8 non-English character?
2. Does the jetty version have something like "cached page" so I can view my document retrieved?
3. If I want to use my Tokenizer that available in lucence sandbox and do my own XSL transformation, which article I can reference to?
4. The dedup (de-duplication) is purely my own task?
Also, any introductory reference are welcome.

Thank you,
Vinci

Re: Beginner questions: Jetty and solr with utf-8 + cached page + dedup

Ryan McKinley
Vinci wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to Solr and just make the Solr (3-8-nightly) run on the machine.
> I want the System to be more portable so I want to use the jetty Solr in
> example...before I tried to index the documents, I would like to ask some
> question:
> 1. Do I need to pay special attention when I dealing with query in utf-8
> non-English character?
> 2. Does the jetty version have something like "cached page" so I can view my
> document retrieved?
> 3. If I want to use my Tokenizer that available in lucence sandbox and do my
> own XSL transformation, which article I can reference to?
> 4. The dedup (de-duplication) is purely my own task?
> Also, any introductory reference are welcome.

the best way to get started is to follow the tutorial:
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html

get to know the example, check the wiki also.  Also, google is good,
with "solr xslt" you get:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/XsltResponseWriter

ryan

Re: Beginner questions: Jetty and solr with utf-8 + cached page + dedup

Vinci
Hi,

Thank for your reply.
Question for apply xslt: If I use saxon, where should the saxon.jar located if I using the example jetty server? lib/ inside example/ or outside the example/?

Thank you,
Vinci

ryantxu wrote
Vinci wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to Solr and just make the Solr (3-8-nightly) run on the machine.
> I want the System to be more portable so I want to use the jetty Solr in
> example...before I tried to index the documents, I would like to ask some
> question:
> 1. Do I need to pay special attention when I dealing with query in utf-8
> non-English character?
> 2. Does the jetty version have something like "cached page" so I can view my
> document retrieved?
> 3. If I want to use my Tokenizer that available in lucence sandbox and do my
> own XSL transformation, which article I can reference to?
> 4. The dedup (de-duplication) is purely my own task?
> Also, any introductory reference are welcome.

the best way to get started is to follow the tutorial:
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html

get to know the example, check the wiki also.  Also, google is good,
with "solr xslt" you get:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/XsltResponseWriter

ryan

Re: Beginner questions: Jetty and solr with utf-8 + cached page + dedup

thorsten
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 10:56 -0700, Vinci wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank for your reply.
> Question for apply xslt: If I use saxon, where should the saxon.jar located
> if I using the example jetty server? lib/ inside example/ or outside the
> example/?

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/mySolr
"...
Typically it's not recommended to have your front end users/clients
hitting Solr directly as part of an HTML form submit
..."

In the above page there you find answers to many of your questions.

HTH

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler                                 thorsten.at.apache.org
Open Source Java                      consulting, training and solutions