Boosting with 0 factor

Dariusz Wojtas
Hi,

I have a question about boosting queries with ^0

I am using LTR. In the 1st step I want to narrow the query, but limit
'noise' results as much as possible. The 1st step is defined as follows:
    <str name="q">{!edismax qf='keyword_id^10 keyword_nonid^2
keyword_lastNames^2 keyword_names^1' v=$searchedTerms}</str>

And I have lots of such boosted fields, but want to narrow them dynamically.
I may pass boost factors as local params, with ${boostVal}. This part works.
If I set boost to 0, as in the example below for field 'keyword_id', will
it execute query on that field or skip it since boost of factor 0 will
boost the result?
In short: will it bring performance savings, or not?

    <str name="q">{!edismax qf='keyword_id^0 keyword_nonid^2
keyword_lastNames^2 keyword_names^1' v=$searchedTerms}</str>

Best regards,
Dariusz Wojtas

Re: Boosting with 0 factor

Emir Arnautović
Hi Dariusz,
It will match but it will not affect the score. If you have a single field boosted with 0, score will be 0. You can use debugQuery=true to see how query is parsed and see that there is a component even boost is 0.

HTH,
Emir