Can I do "Google Suggest" Like Search? - - - from - - -vikas

Can I do "Google Suggest" Like Search? - - - from - - -vikas

Vikas Khengare

Hi Friend

            I want to perform search like “Google search” which will give suggestions to user.

So when I type “L” it will give me search options names which will start from “L”. Then when I will type “Lu” then it should give me options for names which are starting from “Lu”. & so on ……

1) Does Lucene provide any API for doing so?

2) Can I use Sort / Filter classes for it?

3) Or do I need to handle it in java (may be any other language)?

with best regards

from .........

vikas r. khengare

Veritas Software India Private Ltd.

Symantec Corporation

Pune, India

                        [ Enjoy your life today.... because yesterday had gone.... and tommorow may never come . ]

Re: Can I do "Google Suggest" Like Search? - - - from - - -vikas

Zhenjian YU
hi, *vikas,

*the ajax way should work for you.

while in the lucene part, you should do something to handle the prefix
query.

Best Regards,
Zhenjian

On 5/24/06, Vikas Khengare <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi Friend
>

>             I want to perform search like "Google search" which will give
> suggestions to user.
>
> So when I type *"L"* it will give me search options names which will start
> from "L". Then when I will type *"Lu"* then it should give me options for
> names which are starting from "Lu". & so on ……
>

> 1) Does Lucene provide any API for doing so?
>
> 2) Can I use Sort / Filter classes for it?
>
> 3) Or do I need to handle it in java (may be any other language)?

> ==================================================================================================
>
> * *
>
> *with best regards*
>
> *from .........*
>
> *vikas r. khengare*
>
> Veritas Software India Private Ltd.
>
> Symantec Corporation
>
> Pune, India
>
> **
>
> *                        **[ Enjoy your life today.... because yesterday
> had gone.... and **tommorow may never come** . ]*

RE: Can I do "Google Suggest" Like Search? - - - from - - -vikas

Vikas Khengare

Hi Zhenjian YU

      I have implemented that with AJAX Search But when I type "a" in textbox. It gives me all results which contains letter "a".

So I am getting "America", "Asia", "Flag" & "Zhenjian" also.

But in actual I want only "America" & "Asia".

Thanks

while in the lucene part, you should do something to handle the prefix

query.

Best Regards,

Zhenjian

On 5/24/06, Vikas Khengare <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi Friend

>             I want to perform search like "Google search" which will give

> suggestions to user.

> So when I type *"L"* it will give me search options names which will start

> from "L". Then when I will type *"Lu"* then it should give me options for

> names which are starting from "Lu". & so on ……

> 1) Does Lucene provide any API for doing so?

> 2) Can I use Sort / Filter classes for it?

> 3) Or do I need to handle it in java (may be any other language)?

with best regards

from .........

vikas r. khengare

Veritas Software India Private Ltd.

Symantec Corporation

Pune, India

                        [ Enjoy your life today.... because yesterday had gone.... and tommorow may never come . ]

Re: Can I do "Google Suggest" Like Search? - - - from - - -vikas

Zhenjian YU
Hi Vikas,

Seems that you can use the WildCardQuery to do this, just put "a*" as the
query term.
But take caution to use WildCardQuery, because it can bring the performance
of your system down.

Yes, you can also implement your own filter to filter out the results which
don't starting with "a".

Either way is a solution.

Best Regards,
Zhenjian

On 5/24/06, Vikas Khengare <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Zhenjian YU
>

>       I have implemented that with AJAX Search But when I type "*a*" in
> textbox. It gives me all results which contains letter "a".
>
> So I am getting "*A*merica", "*A*sia", "Fl*a*g" & "Zhenji*a*n" also.
>
> But in actual I want only "America" & "Asia".
>

> Thanks

      Means Now I have 2 options

1.    WildCardQuery

2.       PrefixQuery

A] If I use WildCardQuery it will search “a” in whole word and then return result

      e.g If I type “a” then it will return all results which contain “a” in their spelling.

But I want when user type “a” it will show only “America” & “Asia

And when I type “as” then it will show only “Asia”.

Does WildCardQuery has that capacity to do?

Because this will send query to search engine as “a*” and “as*” ……

B] I think so PrefixQuery will do it. Because It will search for those terms in index who has “a” or “as” as prefix.

Thanks

Hi Vikas,

Seems that you can use the WildCardQuery to do this, just put "a*" as the query term.

But take caution to use WildCardQuery, because it can bring the performance of your system down.

Yes, you can also implement your own filter to filter out the results which don't starting with "a".

Either way is a solution.

Best Regards,

Zhenjian

On 5/24/06, Vikas Khengare <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Zhenjian YU

>       I have implemented that with AJAX Search But when I type "*a*"

> in textbox. It gives me all results which contains letter "a".

> So I am getting "*A*merica", "*A*sia", "Fl*a*g" & "Zhenji*a*n" also.

> But in actual I want only "America" & "Asia".

> Thanks

mark harwood
Tips:

1) Don't send to 3 mail lists when 1 will do please
continue this conversation on java-user only.

2) Most "suggest" tools work off an index of previous
searches (not documents). Do you have a large set of
searches? If not, making sensible suggestions based on
document content can be much more compute intensive.
My assumption here is you are having to work with doc
content.

3) You don't need to go to the expense of running a
query and ranking and scoring documents - look at the
lower level APIs terms() and termDocs() - use them to
find the matching terms

4) word suggestions ideally shouldn't be independent
of each other - look at completed words in the query
string and use them to inform the selection of
suggestions for the incomplete term being typed. The
termDocs()/termPositions() apis give you all the data
you need to establish what docs/positions exist for
completed terms and these can be cross-referenced with
the list of docs/positions for the "alternative" terms
under consideration. A high proximity between
completed term occurences and a suggested term's
occurences makes a strong candidate. A fast way to do
proximity tests might be to compared sorted arrays of
numbers where each number represents a term using a
function like:
  termspaceNumber=[DocNumber * maxNumTermsPerDoc]+
termPositionInDoc

You could then compare long[]completedTermOccurences
with long[]suggestedAlternativeTermOccurences looking
for matches where numbers differ by 1 or 2.

A faster (rougher) comparison solution which ignored
word proximity would be just to compare bitsets of doc
ids looking for high levels of
overlap(intersection/union).

You can use TermEnum.docFreq() to quickly rule out
very rare words from your calculations.

Cheers,
Mark

RE: Can I do "Google Suggest" Like Search? - - - from - - -vikas

Vikas Khengare

Hi Mark

      You are right; I want suggestions from doc content only not general words. What will happen if I send PrefixQuery in each char input from user then I will get results [No problem about number of hits to show user] using AJAX. So when user type "a" Onkeyup I will send query through AJAX to search engine with prefixquery then I will get results.

e.g. Field("Country","America")

      Field("Country","Africa")

      Field("Country","Aegentina")

So If search in "Country" for "a*" it will return me all values which are starting from "a" So I will get results as I want.

Is this one right?

Or What is other way to do so?

RE: Can I do "Google Suggest" Like Search? - - - from - - -vikas

mark harwood
>>What will happen if I send PrefixQuery

A search returns a list of docs - you want a list of
words which is why I suggested using the IndexReader
"terms" APIs which PrefixQuery uses internally.

If you are not in a position to try the more complex
solution I outlined earlier (this bases suggestions on
multiple terms in the query string) then you *could*
use PrefixQuery as follows:

        IndexReader
reader=IndexReader.open("/indexes/nasa");
        String incompleteWord="Am";
        PrefixQuery pq=new PrefixQuery(new
Term("contents",incompleteWord.toLowerCase()));
        HashSet suggestedTerms=new HashSet();

pq.rewrite(reader).extractTerms(suggestedTerms);
        for (Iterator iter =
suggestedTerms.iterator(); iter.hasNext();)
        {
            Term term = (Term) iter.next();
            System.out.println(term.text());

        }

Using this technique on a completely free-text field
(i.e. something other than the "country" field in your
example) will probably make poorly informed
suggestions and I would refer to my previous post for
a better solution.

Cheers
Mark

wrote:

> Hi Mark
>

>       You are right; I want suggestions from doc
> content only not
> general words. What will happen if I send
> PrefixQuery in each char input
> from user then I will get results [No problem about
> number of hits to
> show user] using AJAX. So when user type "a" Onkeyup
> I will send query
> through AJAX to search engine with prefixquery then
> I will get results.
>
> e.g. Field("Country","America")
>
>       Field("Country","Africa")
>
>       Field("Country","Aegentina")
>

> So If search in "Country" for "a*" it will return me
> all values which
> are starting from "a" So I will get results as I
> want.
>

> Is this one right?
>

> Or What is other way to do so?

=== message truncated ===

Re: Can I do "Google Suggest" Like Search? - - - from - - -vikas

Zhenjian YU
yes, PrefixQuery will help.

On 5/24/06, mark harwood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >>What will happen if I send PrefixQuery
>
> A search returns a list of docs - you want a list of
> words which is why I suggested using the IndexReader
> "terms" APIs which PrefixQuery uses internally.
>
> If you are not in a position to try the more complex
> solution I outlined earlier (this bases suggestions on
> multiple terms in the query string) then you *could*
> use PrefixQuery as follows:
>
>         IndexReader
> reader=IndexReader.open("/indexes/nasa");
>         String incompleteWord="Am";
>         PrefixQuery pq=new PrefixQuery(new
> Term("contents",incompleteWord.toLowerCase()));
>         HashSet suggestedTerms=new HashSet();
>
> pq.rewrite(reader).extractTerms(suggestedTerms);
>         for (Iterator iter =
> suggestedTerms.iterator(); iter.hasNext();)
>         {
>             Term term = (Term) iter.next();
>             System.out.println(term.text());
>
>         }
>
> Using this technique on a completely free-text field
> (i.e. something other than the "country" field in your
> example) will probably make poorly informed
> suggestions and I would refer to my previous post for
> a better solution.
>

> Cheers
> Mark
>

> --- Vikas Khengare <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > Hi Mark
> >

> >       You are right; I want suggestions from doc
> > content only not
> > general words. What will happen if I send
> > PrefixQuery in each char input
> > from user then I will get results [No problem about
> > number of hits to
> > show user] using AJAX. So when user type "a" Onkeyup
> > I will send query
> > through AJAX to search engine with prefixquery then
> > I will get results.
> >
> > e.g. Field("Country","America")
> >
> >       Field("Country","Africa")
> >
> >       Field("Country","Aegentina")
> >

> > So If search in "Country" for "a*" it will return me
> > all values which
> > are starting from "a" So I will get results as I
> > want.
> >

> > Is this one right?
> >

> > Or What is other way to do so?

Karl Wettin
On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 13:11 +0530, Vikas Khengare wrote:
> So when I type “L” it will give me search options names which will
> start from “L”. Then when I will type “Lu” then it should give me
> options for names which are starting from “Lu”. & so on ……

Vikas,

the Jira now contains code that does just that. It is a trie you will
have to train with user queries (that result something), and is not
based on the document corpus.

I'd be more than happy to hear what you think of the API.

--
karl

Re: Can I do "Google Suggest" Like Search?

Mark Miller-3
Another option is to use Sun's free and soon to be open source Java Studio
Creator2. It's a great way to do JSF and provides an AJAX google suggest
type component. You can hook this component up to a lucene search and
*BOOM*...google suggest.

Here is a link to a "did you mean" tutorial as well (it may give some hints
in the implementation of suggest as well):

http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2005/08/09/didyoumean.html

- Mark