Can defaultSearchField be all fields?

Ian Connor
Is it possible to have all fields being searched by default?
<defaultSearchField>*</defaultSearchField> or something like that.

An alternative, is if there is some lucene query that will give me all
fields "*:term".

My final, more redundant alternative is to create a field called
"all_fields" and put everything in there at the end to be the
defaultSearchField.

Thanks for any advice,
Ian Connor

Re: Can defaultSearchField be all fields?

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
Hi Ian,

No, the * syntax you mentioned is not supported. However, there are a
couple of ways of achieving this.

1. Create a copyField which has all the content and search on that --
as you mentioned
2. You can use dismax and add all the fields as the search field
parameter either in the request of the defaults section in
solrconfig.xml
3. You can explictly search for all fields by field:value syntax

To get all terms, you can use the facet.field for all fields and get
all the terms. However, I'm not able to understand the use-case for
this.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Can defaultSearchField be all fields?

Ian Connor
So it might be a neat solution. If I am reading this right:

1. would make the index larger
2. means you are searching all fields (or a weighted list) but cannot
also search specific fields at the same time
3. would make your query string longer but give you the most control
without bloating your index size

do you think I have the idea or am I missing something?

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> No, the * syntax you mentioned is not supported. However, there are a
> couple of ways of achieving this.
>
> 1. Create a copyField which has all the content and search on that --
> as you mentioned
> 2. You can use dismax and add all the fields as the search field
> parameter either in the request of the defaults section in
> solrconfig.xml
> 3. You can explictly search for all fields by field:value syntax
>
> To get all terms, you can use the facet.field for all fields and get
> all the terms. However, I'm not able to understand the use-case for
> this.
>
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Ian Connor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to have all fields being searched by default?
>> <defaultSearchField>*</defaultSearchField> or something like that.
>>
>> An alternative, is if there is some lucene query that will give me all
>> fields "*:term".
>>
>> My final, more redundant alternative is to create a field called
>> "all_fields" and put everything in there at the end to be the
>> defaultSearchField.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice,
>> Ian Connor
>

> --
> Regards,
> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Ian Connor
82 Fellsway W #2
Somerville, MA 02145
Direct Line: +1 (978) 6333372
Call Center Phone: +1 (714) 239 3875 (24 hrs)
Mobile Phone: +1 (312) 218 3209
Fax: +1(770) 818 5697
Suisse Phone: +41 (0) 22 548 1664
Skype: ian.connor

Re: Can defaultSearchField be all fields?

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
Note that you can use both the standard and dismax style as when you
need more control vs. searching all fields.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Can defaultSearchField be all fields?

Ian Connor
Could you give me an example how combining standard with dismax would
look like in query string or URL?

I thought you had to set qt=dismax in the URL and it applied to the
whole query like:

http://solrserver:8983/solr/select?indent=on&version=2.2&q=nik+gene+cluster&start=0&rows=10&fl=*%2Cscore&qt=dismax&wt=ruby&explainOther=&hl.fl=

Suisse Phone: +41 (0) 22 548 1664
Skype: ian.connor

Re: Can defaultSearchField be all fields?

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
Sorry for not being clear. I meant that you can use one OR the other
as and when necessary. You can't use both the styles in one request.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Can defaultSearchField be all fields?

Ian Connor
Thanks for the clarification - I understand now.