Cant stop/start server

Iridian Group
I know I am missing something very simple here but I cant stop/start my Solr instance with
/opt/solr/bin/solr stop

I get “No Solr nodes found to stop”, however the server is running. I can access the server via the default port and my app is able to use its services without issue.

Thanks for any assistance!

Thanks

Keith Savoie
Vice President of Technology

IRiDiAN GROUP

Helping organizations brand
& market themselves through
web, print, & social media.

14450 Eagle Run Dr. Ste. 120
Omaha, Nebraska 68116

P  • 402.422.0150
W • iridiangroup.com <https://www.iridiangroup.com/>

Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup> or twitter <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>

Re: Cant stop/start server

Erick Erickson
What is the exact command you use? Because the command is "stop -all"
or "stop -p <port #>"?

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Iridian Group
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know I am missing something very simple here but I cant stop/start my Solr instance with
> /opt/solr/bin/solr stop
>
> I get “No Solr nodes found to stop”, however the server is running. I can access the server via the default port and my app is able to use its services without issue.
>

> Thanks for any assistance!
>

> Thanks
>
> Keith Savoie
> Vice President of Technology
>
> IRiDiAN GROUP
>
> Helping organizations brand
> & market themselves through
> web, print, & social media.
>

> 14450 Eagle Run Dr. Ste. 120
> Omaha, Nebraska 68116
>
> P  • 402.422.0150
> W • iridiangroup.com <https://www.iridiangroup.com/>
>
> Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup> or twitter <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>

Re: Cant stop/start server

Atita Arora
Did you mention the port with -p
Like

Bin/solr stop -p 8983

Please check

On Jul 14, 2017 10:35 PM, "Iridian Group" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know I am missing something very simple here but I cant stop/start my
> Solr instance with
> /opt/solr/bin/solr stop
>
> I get “No Solr nodes found to stop”, however the server is running. I can
> access the server via the default port and my app is able to use its
> services without issue.
>

> Thanks for any assistance!
>

> Thanks
>
> Keith Savoie
> Vice President of Technology
>
> IRiDiAN GROUP
>
> Helping organizations brand
> & market themselves through
> web, print, & social media.
>

> 14450 Eagle Run Dr. Ste. 120
> Omaha, Nebraska 68116
>
> P  • 402.422.0150
> W • iridiangroup.com <https://www.iridiangroup.com/>
>
> Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup> or twitter <
> https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>

Re: Cant stop/start server

Iridian Group
Ahhh well then.
I did try the -all flag but it returned nothing.

However an explicit  -p 8983 did the trick.  :)

… wonder why -all didn’t pick it up?

Thanks!

Keith Savoie
Vice President of Technology

IRiDiAN GROUP

Helping organizations brand
& market themselves through
web, print, & social media.

14450 Eagle Run Dr. Ste. 120
Omaha, Nebraska 68116

P  • 402.422.0150
W • iridiangroup.com <https://www.iridiangroup.com/>

Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup> or twitter <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>

> On Jul 14, 2017, at 12:08 PM, Atita Arora <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Did you mention the port with -p
> Like
>
> Bin/solr stop -p 8983
>
> Please check
>
> On Jul 14, 2017 10:35 PM, "Iridian Group" <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> I know I am missing something very simple here but I cant stop/start my
>> Solr instance with
>> /opt/solr/bin/solr stop
>>
>> I get “No Solr nodes found to stop”, however the server is running. I can
>> access the server via the default port and my app is able to use its
>> services without issue.
>>

>> Thanks for any assistance!
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Keith Savoie
>> Vice President of Technology
>>
>> IRiDiAN GROUP
>>
>> Helping organizations brand
>> & market themselves through
>> web, print, & social media.
>>

>> 14450 Eagle Run Dr. Ste. 120
>> Omaha, Nebraska 68116
>>
>> P  • 402.422.0150
>> W • iridiangroup.com <http://iridiangroup.com/> <https://www.iridiangroup.com/ <https://www.iridiangroup.com/>>
>>
>> Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup>> or twitter <
>> https://twitter.com/iridiangroup <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>>

Re: Cant stop/start server

Erick Erickson
bq: wonder why -all didn’t pick it up?

Good question, I use this _all_ the time. (little joke there).

The -all flag looks for various .pid files, you'll see things like:
solr-8983.pid that contain the process id to kill associated with that
port. Any chance these were removed or in some different place?

Erick

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Iridian Group
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ahhh well then.
> I did try the -all flag but it returned nothing.
>
> However an explicit  -p 8983 did the trick.  :)
>
> … wonder why -all didn’t pick it up?
>
> Thanks!
>

> Keith Savoie
> Vice President of Technology
>
> IRiDiAN GROUP
>
> Helping organizations brand
> & market themselves through
> web, print, & social media.
>

> 14450 Eagle Run Dr. Ste. 120
> Omaha, Nebraska 68116
>
> P  • 402.422.0150
> W • iridiangroup.com <https://www.iridiangroup.com/>
>
> Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup> or twitter <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>
>> On Jul 14, 2017, at 12:08 PM, Atita Arora <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Did you mention the port with -p
>> Like
>>
>> Bin/solr stop -p 8983
>>
>> Please check
>>
>> On Jul 14, 2017 10:35 PM, "Iridian Group" <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> I know I am missing something very simple here but I cant stop/start my
>>> Solr instance with
>>> /opt/solr/bin/solr stop
>>>
>>> I get “No Solr nodes found to stop”, however the server is running. I can
>>> access the server via the default port and my app is able to use its
>>> services without issue.
>>>

>>> Thanks for any assistance!
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Keith Savoie
>>> Vice President of Technology
>>>
>>> IRiDiAN GROUP
>>>
>>> Helping organizations brand
>>> & market themselves through
>>> web, print, & social media.
>>>

>>> 14450 Eagle Run Dr. Ste. 120
>>> Omaha, Nebraska 68116
>>>
>>> P  • 402.422.0150
>>> W • iridiangroup.com <http://iridiangroup.com/> <https://www.iridiangroup.com/ <https://www.iridiangroup.com/>>
>>>
>>> Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup>> or twitter <
>>> https://twitter.com/iridiangroup <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>>

Re: Cant stop/start server

Iridian Group
Typical story, I wasn’t the admin who set it up but I’m pretty sure is was vanilla.

Thanks

Keith Savoie
Vice President of Technology

IRiDiAN GROUP

Helping organizations brand
& market themselves through
web, print, & social media.

14450 Eagle Run Dr. Ste. 120
Omaha, Nebraska 68116

P  • 402.422.0150
W • iridiangroup.com <https://www.iridiangroup.com/>

Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup> or twitter <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>

> On Jul 14, 2017, at 12:18 PM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> bq: wonder why -all didn’t pick it up?
>
> Good question, I use this _all_ the time. (little joke there).
>
> The -all flag looks for various .pid files, you'll see things like:
> solr-8983.pid that contain the process id to kill associated with that
> port. Any chance these were removed or in some different place?
>
> Erick
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Iridian Group
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ahhh well then.
>> I did try the -all flag but it returned nothing.
>>
>> However an explicit  -p 8983 did the trick.  :)
>>
>> … wonder why -all didn’t pick it up?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> Keith Savoie
>> Vice President of Technology
>>
>> IRiDiAN GROUP
>>
>> Helping organizations brand
>> & market themselves through
>> web, print, & social media.
>>

>> 14450 Eagle Run Dr. Ste. 120
>> Omaha, Nebraska 68116
>>
>> P  • 402.422.0150
>> W • iridiangroup.com <https://www.iridiangroup.com/>
>>
>> Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup> or twitter <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>
>>> On Jul 14, 2017, at 12:08 PM, Atita Arora <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you mention the port with -p
>>> Like
>>>
>>> Bin/solr stop -p 8983
>>>
>>> Please check

Re: Cant stop/start server

Erick Erickson
Shouldn't be a setup or configuration issue, it should "just happen".
But if this has been up and running for a long time perhaps someone
"cleaned it up".

Hmmm, now that I think about it the pid file must have been there if
"-p <port>" worked so I'm stumped too. What op system? The relevant
part of the *nix script is:

find "$SOLR_PID_DIR" -name "solr-*.pid" -type f | while read PIDF

and windows is:
      set found_it=0
      for /f "usebackq" %%i in (`dir /b "%SOLR_TIP%\bin" ^| findstr /i
"^solr-.*\.port$"`) do (
        set SOME_SOLR_PORT=

Just wonder if they're depending on something not in your system?

Best,
Erick

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Iridian Group
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Typical story, I wasn’t the admin who set it up but I’m pretty sure is was vanilla.
>

> Thanks
>
> Keith Savoie
> Vice President of Technology
>
> IRiDiAN GROUP
>
> Helping organizations brand
> & market themselves through
> web, print, & social media.
>

> 14450 Eagle Run Dr. Ste. 120
> Omaha, Nebraska 68116
>
> P  • 402.422.0150
> W • iridiangroup.com <https://www.iridiangroup.com/>
>
> Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup> or twitter <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>
>> On Jul 14, 2017, at 12:18 PM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> bq: wonder why -all didn’t pick it up?
>>
>> Good question, I use this _all_ the time. (little joke there).
>>
>> The -all flag looks for various .pid files, you'll see things like:
>> solr-8983.pid that contain the process id to kill associated with that
>> port. Any chance these were removed or in some different place?
>>
>> Erick
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Iridian Group
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Ahhh well then.
>>> I did try the -all flag but it returned nothing.
>>>
>>> However an explicit  -p 8983 did the trick.  :)
>>>
>>> … wonder why -all didn’t pick it up?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>>> Keith Savoie
>>> Vice President of Technology
>>>
>>> IRiDiAN GROUP
>>>
>>> Helping organizations brand
>>> & market themselves through
>>> web, print, & social media.
>>>

>>> 14450 Eagle Run Dr. Ste. 120
>>> Omaha, Nebraska 68116
>>>
>>> P  • 402.422.0150
>>> W • iridiangroup.com <https://www.iridiangroup.com/>
>>>
>>> Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup> or twitter <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>

Re: Cant stop/start server

Iridian Group
REL 7.3
Apache 2.4.6

Sry, not versed enough in CLI to get your ‘find’ to work. Dropped me into a prompt of some type. Got this however.
find / -name "solr-*.pid"
/var/solr/solr-8983.pid

Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup> or twitter <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>

> On Jul 14, 2017, at 12:56 PM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Shouldn't be a setup or configuration issue, it should "just happen".
> But if this has been up and running for a long time perhaps someone
> "cleaned it up".
>
> Hmmm, now that I think about it the pid file must have been there if
> "-p <port>" worked so I'm stumped too. What op system? The relevant
> part of the *nix script is:
>
> find "$SOLR_PID_DIR" -name "solr-*.pid" -type f | while read PIDF
>
> and windows is:
>      set found_it=0
>      for /f "usebackq" %%i in (`dir /b "%SOLR_TIP%\bin" ^| findstr /i
> "^solr-.*\.port$"`) do (
>        set SOME_SOLR_PORT=
>
> Just wonder if they're depending on something not in your system?
>
> Best,
> Erick
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Iridian Group
>> Typical story, I wasn’t the admin who set it up but I’m pretty sure is was vanilla.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Keith Savoie
>> Vice President of Technology
>>
>> IRiDiAN GROUP
>>
>> Helping organizations brand
>> & market themselves through
>> web, print, & social media.
>>

>> 14450 Eagle Run Dr. Ste. 120
>> Omaha, Nebraska 68116
>>
>> P  • 402.422.0150
>> W • iridiangroup.com <http://iridiangroup.com/> <https://www.iridiangroup.com/ <https://www.iridiangroup.com/>>
>>
>> Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup>> or twitter <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>>
>>> On Jul 14, 2017, at 12:18 PM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> bq: wonder why -all didn’t pick it up?
>>>
>>> Good question, I use this _all_ the time. (little joke there).
>>>
>>> The -all flag looks for various .pid files, you'll see things like:
>>> solr-8983.pid that contain the process id to kill associated with that
>>> port. Any chance these were removed or in some different place?
>>>
>>> Erick

Re: Cant stop/start server

Erick Erickson
Hmm, looks like the pid file is located in different spots (depending)
and the -p option apparently looks in the same place but the -all
doesn't. Haven't tracked down why

If I start by

bin/solr start -s example/techproducts/configs
the pid file goes in bin/solr
It also goes there if I cd into the bin directory and:
./solr start -s
/Users/Erick/apache/solrJiras/jira/solr/example/techproducts/solr/

However, if I cd into the bin directory then:
./solr start -s ../example/techproducts/solr
the pid file goes in to ../example/techproducts/solr
when the pid file goes here, the -all doesn't find it.

The odd thing is that it's findable in all cases by the -p option but
not the -all option.

Seems like a problem with the script, but I'll leave it to someone
else. In the mean time what happens when you start with an absolute
path? Or at least without a ../ as the start of your path?

Erick

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Iridian Group
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> REL 7.3
> Apache 2.4.6
>
> Sry, not versed enough in CLI to get your ‘find’ to work. Dropped me into a prompt of some type. Got this however.
> find / -name "solr-*.pid"
> /var/solr/solr-8983.pid
>

> Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup> or twitter <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>
>> On Jul 14, 2017, at 12:56 PM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Shouldn't be a setup or configuration issue, it should "just happen".
>> But if this has been up and running for a long time perhaps someone
>> "cleaned it up".
>>
>> Hmmm, now that I think about it the pid file must have been there if
>> "-p <port>" worked so I'm stumped too. What op system? The relevant
>> part of the *nix script is:
>>
>> find "$SOLR_PID_DIR" -name "solr-*.pid" -type f | while read PIDF
>>
>> and windows is:
>>      set found_it=0
>>      for /f "usebackq" %%i in (`dir /b "%SOLR_TIP%\bin" ^| findstr /i
>> "^solr-.*\.port$"`) do (
>>        set SOME_SOLR_PORT=
>>
>> Just wonder if they're depending on something not in your system?
>>
>> Best,
>> Erick
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Iridian Group
>>> Typical story, I wasn’t the admin who set it up but I’m pretty sure is was vanilla.
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Keith Savoie
>>> Vice President of Technology
>>>
>>> IRiDiAN GROUP
>>>
>>> Helping organizations brand
>>> & market themselves through
>>> web, print, & social media.
>>>

>>> 14450 Eagle Run Dr. Ste. 120
>>> Omaha, Nebraska 68116
>>>
>>> P  • 402.422.0150
>>> W • iridiangroup.com <http://iridiangroup.com/> <https://www.iridiangroup.com/ <https://www.iridiangroup.com/>>
>>>
>>> Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup>> or twitter <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>>

Re: Cant stop/start server

Iridian Group
So I installed SOLR on another server using just the service install script and am experiencing the same issue when starting/stopping the service using /opt/solr/bin/solr stop -all

however when using
/etc/init.d/solr start
/etc/init.d/solr stop
the server starts/stops gracefully without issue.

Running as a service must tweak the install in a way that makes manual start/stop not operate or is invalid in the context of a service install.

> On Jul 14, 2017, at 7:58 PM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hmm, looks like the pid file is located in different spots (depending)
> and the -p option apparently looks in the same place but the -all
> doesn't. Haven't tracked down why
>
> If I start by
>
> bin/solr start -s example/techproducts/configs
> the pid file goes in bin/solr
> It also goes there if I cd into the bin directory and:
> ./solr start -s
> /Users/Erick/apache/solrJiras/jira/solr/example/techproducts/solr/
>

> However, if I cd into the bin directory then:
> ./solr start -s ../example/techproducts/solr
> the pid file goes in to ../example/techproducts/solr
> when the pid file goes here, the -all doesn't find it.
>

> The odd thing is that it's findable in all cases by the -p option but
> not the -all option.
>
> Seems like a problem with the script, but I'll leave it to someone
> else. In the mean time what happens when you start with an absolute
> path? Or at least without a ../ as the start of your path?
>
> Erick
>

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Iridian Group
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> REL 7.3
>> Apache 2.4.6
>>
>> Sry, not versed enough in CLI to get your ‘find’ to work. Dropped me into a prompt of some type. Got this however.
>> find / -name "solr-*.pid"
>> /var/solr/solr-8983.pid
>>

>> Join us on facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iridiangroup> or twitter <https://twitter.com/iridiangroup>
>>> On Jul 14, 2017, at 12:56 PM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Shouldn't be a setup or configuration issue, it should "just happen".
>>> But if this has been up and running for a long time perhaps someone
>>> "cleaned it up".
>>>
>>> Hmmm, now that I think about it the pid file must have been there if
>>> "-p <port>" worked so I'm stumped too. What op system? The relevant
>>> part of the *nix script is:
>>>
>>> find "$SOLR_PID_DIR" -name "solr-*.pid" -type f | while read PIDF
>>>
>>> and windows is:
>>>     set found_it=0
>>>     for /f "usebackq" %%i in (`dir /b "%SOLR_TIP%\bin" ^| findstr /i
>>> "^solr-.*\.port$"`) do (
>>>       set SOME_SOLR_PORT=
>>>
>>> Just wonder if they're depending on something not in your system?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Erick
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Iridian Group

Re: Cant stop/start server

Susheel Kumar-3
Exactly.  Both are different and for the purpose if you see the content.
The later refers the prev one.