Compass 0.4 Released

kimchy.compass
Hi,

"
    We are please to announce the initial release of Compass, a new
concept in semantic Search Engine/Object Mapping (OSEM) technology.
    Compass is a Java framework, built on top of the Lucene Search
Engine, making it simple to map your Java object model into a Search
Engine. Providing a powerful new tool for application development.
     Compass introduces declaritive mapping technology OSEM (similar
to O/R database mapping), transaction management, Google like query
syntax (based on lucene), externalise common meta-data and much much
more.
"

    You are the first to know, and I would really appreciate your
comments about the project and possible enhancements. We can continue
the thread here, but I would be happy if comments and enhancements
would be recorded on the project (compass) mailing lists.

The project site: http://compass.sourceforge.net

   Cheers

Shay Banon

Re: Compass 0.4 Released

Joseph Ottinger
Well, it's been on theserverside.com for about thirty minutes already...
:)

On Tue, 3 May 2005 [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "
>   We are please to announce the initial release of Compass, a new concept in
> semantic Search Engine/Object Mapping (OSEM) technology.
>   Compass is a Java framework, built on top of the Lucene Search Engine,
> making it simple to map your Java object model into a Search Engine.
> Providing a powerful new tool for application development.
>    Compass introduces declaritive mapping technology OSEM (similar to O/R
> database mapping), transaction management, Google like query syntax (based on
> lucene), externalise common meta-data and much much more.
> "
>
>   You are the first to know, and I would really appreciate your comments
> about the project and possible enhancements. We can continue the thread here,
> but I would be happy if comments and enhancements would be recorded on the
> project (compass) mailing lists.
>
> The project site: http://compass.sourceforge.net
>
>  Cheers
>
> Shay Banon

Re: Compass 0.4 Released

Erik Hatcher
On May 3, 2005, at 8:18 AM, Joseph B. Ottinger wrote:
> Well, it's been on theserverside.com for about thirty minutes
> already... :)

This message was delayed as it was sent from an unsubscribed address
and I had to moderate it in.  So I saw it first :)

     Erik

> On Tue, 3 May 2005 [hidden email] wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> "
>>   We are please to announce the initial release of Compass, a new
>> concept in semantic Search Engine/Object Mapping (OSEM) technology.
>>   Compass is a Java framework, built on top of the Lucene Search
>> Engine, making it simple to map your Java object model into a
>> Search Engine. Providing a powerful new tool for application
>> development.
>>    Compass introduces declaritive mapping technology OSEM (similar
>> to O/R database mapping), transaction management, Google like
>> query syntax (based on lucene), externalise common meta-data and
>> much much more.
>> "
>>
>>   You are the first to know, and I would really appreciate your
>> comments about the project and possible enhancements. We can
>> continue the thread here, but I would be happy if comments and
>> enhancements would be recorded on the project (compass) mailing
>> lists.
>>
>> The project site: http://compass.sourceforge.net
>>
>>  Cheers
>>
>> Shay Banon

Re: Compass 0.4 Released

Gusenbauer Stefan
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "
>    We are please to announce the initial release of Compass, a new
> concept in semantic Search Engine/Object Mapping (OSEM) technology.
>    Compass is a Java framework, built on top of the Lucene Search
> Engine, making it simple to map your Java object model into a Search
> Engine. Providing a powerful new tool for application development.
>     Compass introduces declaritive mapping technology OSEM (similar
> to O/R database mapping), transaction management, Google like query
> syntax (based on lucene), externalise common meta-data and much much
> more.
> "
>
>    You are the first to know, and I would really appreciate your
> comments about the project and possible enhancements. We can continue
> the thread here, but I would be happy if comments and enhancements
> would be recorded on the project (compass) mailing lists.
>
> The project site: http://compass.sourceforge.net
>
>   Cheers
>
> Shay Banon

I would be very interesting to hear/read more about the
compass::semantics how this will be realized. I don't mean the code I
mean the models behind (like rdf ontologies,...)
thx
Stefan

Re: Compass 0.4 Released

kimchy.compass
Hi,

    I have not written anything about it, and it's just ideas that I
have. The main goal of the semantics is that once you created that
"extension points" from your domain model - your metadata, you can
now use semantic modeling (is that the right phrase?) like topic maps
and RDF to define the relationship between them.

     You already have a lot of information, which cost you close to
nothing to create (sell sell ;-) ) by defining the mapping (meta-
data, relationships), and if you went the extra mile and created
"common-metadata", than you have a single source of metadata
definition (that semantics will be able to utilize as well). So now,
if you wish to define semantic relationship on top of all that, thats
where I think that Semantics comes into play.

     Another aspect of semantics can be exporting your index as RDF,
or Topic Map.

     In any case, there is a lot of thinking to be done on the
subject, and I am no "semantic expert", so if you wish to discuss it,
just drop some email to compass mailing lists.

Cheers

    Shay