Dataimport UI - shows green even when import fails

Dataimport UI - shows green even when import fails

Shawn Heisey-2
I'm looking into a problem where the admin UI dataimport screen has a
green status summary bar even though an import has failed.

Here's a screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/94baej11nn75746/dih-green-import-failed.png?dl=0

What I did to get this:
Downloaded 7.5.0.
Extracted the archive.
On windows 10, in a command prompt at the root of the extracted files:
bin\solr -e dih

Then I edited the DIH config for the "db" core, changing the URL to this
(just added a "2" near the end):

url="jdbc:hsqldb:${solr.install.dir}/example/example-DIH/hsqldb/e2x"

Once that was done, I just clicked the "Execute" button in the
dataimport UI for the db core.  The import failed, because the database
name in the modified URL doesn't exist.  But the page still shows the
status summary in green, with a green check mark.  The screenshot shows
"Full Import failed" in the raw status output.  A quick glance at this
page will leave a typical user with the incorrect impression that
everything is fine with their import.

I thought I should just go ahead and file a bug, but before I do that,
I'd like to know if I should have expected something different here.

There's been a lot of issues on problems with the fact that the DIH
status response is extremely difficult for computers to parse.  It's
probably just as hard for the admin UI to parse as it is for most
users.  I once wrote some SolrJ code to handle parsing that response.
There was so much code that it needed its own class.

Shawn

Re: Dataimport UI - shows green even when import fails

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
I have seen the same if the JDBC jar is not found, you cannot tell from the UI, you have to go to Solr logs. We should fix this!

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com