Deleting a field in schema.xml, reindex needed?

Deleting a field in schema.xml, reindex needed?

Scruggs, Matt
I’m updating our schema.xml file with 1 change: deleting a field.

Do I need to re-index all of my documents in Solr, or can I simply reload my collection config by calling:

http://mysolrhost:8000/solr/admin/collections?action=RELOAD&name=mycollection

Thanks,
Matt

RE: Deleting a field in schema.xml, reindex needed?

Markus Jelsma-2
Hi - We did this on one occasion and Solr started complaining in the logs about a field that is present but not defined. We thought the problem would go away within 30 days - the time within every document is reindexed or deleted - but it did not, for some reason. Forcing a merge did not solve the warnings, although i thought it should.

So we decided to delete everything, reindex in a standby index and get that one back online. But don't worry, it are just warnings, everything worked well and nothing failed. Maybe our 30 days reindexing strategy failed at that point, or i didn't wait the for exactly 30 days.

Regards,
Markus

> I’m updating our schema.xml file with 1 change: deleting a field.
>
> Do I need to re-index all of my documents in Solr, or can I simply reload my collection config by calling:
>
> http://mysolrhost:8000/solr/admin/collections?action=RELOAD&name=mycollection
>

> Thanks,
> Matt

Re: Deleting a field in schema.xml, reindex needed?

Walter Underwood
When I have done this, it is in multiple steps.

1. Change the indexing so that no data is going to that field.
2. Reindex, so the field is empty.
3. Remove the field from the schema.

wunder
Walter Underwood

> On Apr 11, 2017, at 3:10 PM, Markus Jelsma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi - We did this on one occasion and Solr started complaining in the logs about a field that is present but not defined. We thought the problem would go away within 30 days - the time within every document is reindexed or deleted - but it did not, for some reason. Forcing a merge did not solve the warnings, although i thought it should.
>
> So we decided to delete everything, reindex in a standby index and get that one back online. But don't worry, it are just warnings, everything worked well and nothing failed. Maybe our 30 days reindexing strategy failed at that point, or i didn't wait the for exactly 30 days.
>
> Regards,
> Markus

Shawn Heisey-2
On 4/11/2017 2:19 PM, Scruggs, Matt wrote:
> I’m updating our schema.xml file with 1 change: deleting a field.
>
> Do I need to re-index all of my documents in Solr, or can I simply reload my collection config by calling:
>
> http://mysolrhost:8000/solr/admin/collections?action=RELOAD&name=mycollection

Deleting a field won't require a reindex, but any data in that field
will remain in your index until you do.  This probably can affect the
performance of the index, but unless you're running with insufficient
resources, you may not even notice.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Deleting a field in schema.xml, reindex needed?

Hema Preetha
Hi - Did you find any solution for this. Because am also facing the same
problem. After removing the field, it throws an error while doing full
index. And also the index gets failed.

Regards,
H P

Re: Deleting a field in schema.xml, reindex needed?

Erick Erickson
“Throws an error” is not very informative. _What_ error?

In general reindexing should not be required. This is often a result of trying to _use_ the field for something. Take a careful look at the error, that may give a clue.

Best,
Erick