Development branches in Tika

Jukka Zitting
Hi,

In TIKA-204 I'm about to start using the new commons-compress
component for better support for more compression and packaging
formats.

However, commons-compress is not yet released, so I can't yet add the
dependency in trunk without requiring everyone to build
commons-compress locally before building Tika.

So, to avoid breaking the trunk while still being able to proceed in
adding commons-compress features based on the current 1.0-SNAPSHOT,
I'd like to create a TIKA-204 development branch in svn. This branch
would be used only for TIKA-204 changes, and would be merged back to
trunk as soon as commons-compress 1.0 is out. The branch would use the
merge tracking feature in Subversion 1.5.

Any objections to this plan?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Development branches in Tika

Sami Siren-2
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> So, to avoid breaking the trunk while still being able to proceed in
> adding commons-compress features based on the current 1.0-SNAPSHOT,
> I'd like to create a TIKA-204 development branch in svn. This branch
> would be used only for TIKA-204 changes, and would be merged back to
> trunk as soon as commons-compress 1.0 is out. The branch would use the
> merge tracking feature in Subversion 1.5.
>
> Any objections to this plan?

In general sounds good to me. I am not familiar with the merge tracking
feature, does it bring some new requirements for people using/testing
the branch?

--
  Sami Siren

> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Re: Development branches in Tika

Karl Heinz Marbaise-3
Hi there,

>> So, to avoid breaking the trunk while still being able to proceed in
>> adding commons-compress features based on the current 1.0-SNAPSHOT,
>> I'd like to create a TIKA-204 development branch in svn. This branch
>> would be used only for TIKA-204 changes, and would be merged back to
>> trunk as soon as commons-compress 1.0 is out. The branch would use the
>> merge tracking feature in Subversion 1.5.
>>
>> Any objections to this plan?
I think this is the best idea to handle such a situation and the merge
tracking will took over the part to write down the revision numbers
which will be merge later from that branch...

BTW: Not the branch will use the merge tracking feature Subversion
      It is available starting with SVN 1.5...;-)

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
--
SoftwareEntwicklung Beratung Schulung    Tel.: +49 (0) 2405 / 415 893
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 W├╝rselen                           http://www.soebes.de

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Sami Siren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In general sounds good to me. I am not familiar with the merge tracking
> feature, does it bring some new requirements for people using/testing the
> branch?

No, the merge tracking stuff only appears as an extra svn property
(svn:mergeinfo) on the branch. You can simply ignore it unless you're
doing merges back or forth with the trunk.

BR,

Jukka Zitting