Difference between minMergeDocs and mergeFactor

Difference between minMergeDocs and mergeFactor

bkrausz
Hi,

can anybody tell me the difference between minMergeDocs and mergeFactor
(perhaps an example?)?

Thanks
Barbara

Re: Difference between minMergeDocs and mergeFactor

Lorenzo Viscanti
Hi Barbara, while mergeFactor deals with the size of new segments and the
number of segments in the index, minMergeDocs deals only with the size of
new segments.
minMergeDocs sets the number of documents a new segment must contain before
it is written from RAM to the index. So does mergeFactor; in addition to
that mergeFactor sets at the same time the maximum number of segments that
will be present in the index. When the number is equal to mergeFactor Lucene
tries to merge all the segments into a new one.
Ciao,
Lorenzo

On 5/8/05, Barbara Krausz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can anybody tell me the difference between minMergeDocs and mergeFactor
> (perhaps an example?)?
>
> Thanks
> Barbara

Lorenzo Viscanti