Quantcast

Difference between regular Highlighter and Fast Vector Highlighter ?

Difference between regular Highlighter and Fast Vector Highlighter ?

shrinath.m
I was wondering whats the difference between the Lucene's 2 implementation of highlighters...
I saw the javadoc of FVH, but it only says "another implementation of Lucene Highlighter" ...

Can someone throw some more light on this ?

Re: Difference between regular Highlighter and Fast Vector Highlighter ?

Koji Sekiguchi
(11/04/01 21:32), shrinath.m wrote:
> I was wondering whats the difference between the Lucene's 2 implementation of
> highlighters...
> I saw the javadoc of FVH, but it only says "another implementation of Lucene
> Highlighter" ...

Description section in the javadoc shows the features of FVH:

https://builds.apache.org/hudson/job/Lucene-trunk/javadoc/all/org/apache/lucene/search/vectorhighlight/package-summary.html#package_description

     * fast for large docs
     * support N-gram fields
     * support phrase-unit highlighting with slops
     * need Java 1.5
     * highlight fields need to be TermVector.WITH_POSITIONS_OFFSETS
     * take into account query boost to score fragments
     * support colored highlight tags
     * pluggable FragListBuilder
     * pluggable FragmentsBuilder

Koji
--
http://www.rondhuit.com/en/

Re: Difference between regular Highlighter and Fast Vector Highlighter ?

shrinath.m
Got it :)

Thanks for the link.

[closed]

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Koji Sekiguchi [via Lucene] <[hidden email]> wrote:
(11/04/01 21:32), shrinath.m wrote:
> I was wondering whats the difference between the Lucene's 2 implementation of
> highlighters...
> I saw the javadoc of FVH, but it only says "another implementation of Lucene
> Highlighter" ...

Description section in the javadoc shows the features of FVH:

https://builds.apache.org/hudson/job/Lucene-trunk/javadoc/all/org/apache/lucene/search/vectorhighlight/package-summary.html#package_description

     * fast for large docs
     * support N-gram fields
     * support phrase-unit highlighting with slops
     * need Java 1.5
     * highlight fields need to be TermVector.WITH_POSITIONS_OFFSETS
     * take into account query boost to score fragments
     * support colored highlight tags
     * pluggable FragListBuilder
     * pluggable FragmentsBuilder

Koji
--
http://www.rondhuit.com/en/

Regards
Shrinath.M

Re: Difference between regular Highlighter and Fast Vector Highlighter ?

Mark Miller-3
The general and short answer is:

Highlighter: highlights more query types, has a fairly rich API, doesn't scale well to very large documents (though https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2939 is going to help a lot here) - does not require that you store term vectors, but is faster if you do.

FVH: works with fewer query types and requires that you store term vectors - but scales better than the std Highlighter to very large documents

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

Lucene/Solr User Conference
May 25-26, San Francisco