Different facet count between 7.7.1 and 8.1.1

Different facet count between 7.7.1 and 8.1.1

Markus Jelsma-2
Hello again,

We found another oddity when upgrading to Solr 8. For a *:* query, the facet counts for a simple string field do not match at all between these versions. Solr 7.7.1 gives less or zero counts where as for 8 we see the correct counts. So something seems fixed for a bug that i was not aware of, although are unit tests rely heavily on correct facet counts.

When i do a field query <field>:<facet_key> the numFound matches the correct facet counts i see on Solr 8.

I checked CHANGES.txt for anything on this subject, but the issues do not seem to match this description. Does anyone have an idea what difference in behaviour i see, and what ticket dealt with this subject?

We do not use JSON-facets here.

Many thanks,
Markus

Re: Different facet count between 7.7.1 and 8.1.1

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Can you reproduce it from a clean 7.7.1 install? I mean, index N docs and then run the facet query? Is it a distributed query or a single shard? Does an "optimize" change anything? Is this DocValues strings?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 12. jun. 2019 kl. 23:49 skrev Markus Jelsma <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello again,
>
> We found another oddity when upgrading to Solr 8. For a *:* query, the facet counts for a simple string field do not match at all between these versions. Solr 7.7.1 gives less or zero counts where as for 8 we see the correct counts. So something seems fixed for a bug that i was not aware of, although are unit tests rely heavily on correct facet counts.
>
> When i do a field query <field>:<facet_key> the numFound matches the correct facet counts i see on Solr 8.
>
> I checked CHANGES.txt for anything on this subject, but the issues do not seem to match this description. Does anyone have an idea what difference in behaviour i see, and what ticket dealt with this subject?
>
> We do not use JSON-facets here.
>
> Many thanks,
> Markus

RE: Different facet count between 7.7.1 and 8.1.1

Markus Jelsma-2
Hello Jan,

We traced it back to not reindexing 'everything' when we enabled docValues for the field i facetted on. Most records before the change do not show up if i query old data, and it was only partially reindexed.

My bad!

Thanks,
Markus