Document rating/popularity and scoring

climbingrose
Hi all,
Has anyone tried to factor rating/popularity into Solr scoring? For example,
I want documents with more page views to be ranked higher in the search
results. From what I can see, the most difficult thing is that we have to
update the number of page views for each document. With Solr-139, document
can be updated at field level. However, it still have to retrieve the
document and then do a reindex. With high traffic sites, the overhead might
be too high.

I'm thinking of using relational database to track page views / ratings and
then do a daily sync with Solr. Is there a way for Solr to retrieve data
from external sources (database server) and use the data for determining
document ranking?

Thanks.

Cuong Hoang

Re: Document rating/popularity and scoring

Yonik Seeley-2
See ExternalFileField and BoostedQuery

-Yonik

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:47 AM, climbingrose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Has anyone tried to factor rating/popularity into Solr scoring? For example,
> I want documents with more page views to be ranked higher in the search
> results. From what I can see, the most difficult thing is that we have to
> update the number of page views for each document. With Solr-139, document
> can be updated at field level. However, it still have to retrieve the
> document and then do a reindex. With high traffic sites, the overhead might
> be too high.
>
> I'm thinking of using relational database to track page views / ratings and
> then do a daily sync with Solr. Is there a way for Solr to retrieve data
> from external sources (database server) and use the data for determining
> document ranking?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Cuong Hoang

Re: Document rating/popularity and scoring

climbingrose
Thanks Yonik. I will try it out. Btw, what cache should we use for
multivalued, untokenised fields with large number of terms? Faceted search
on these fields seem to be noticeably slower even if I have allocated enough
filterCache. There seems to be a lot of cache lookups for each query.

Cuong Hoang

Re: Document rating/popularity and scoring

climbingrose
Hi Yonik,

I have had a looked at ExternalFileField. However, I coudn't figured out how
to include the externally referenced field in the search results. Also,
sorting on this type of field isn't possible right?

Thanks.