Documentation for Apache Solr 8.0.0?

Yoann Moulin
Hello,

I’m looking for the documentation for the latest release of SolR (8.0) but it looks like it’s not online yet.

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/news.html

http://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/

Do you know when it will be available?

Best regards.

Yoann Moulin
EPFL IC-IT

Re: Documentation for Apache Solr 8.0.0?

Jason Gerlowski
The Solr Reference Guide (of which the online documentation is a part)
gets built and released separately from the Solr distribution itself.
The Solr community tries to keep the code and documentation releases
as close together as we can, but the releases require work and are
done on a volunteer basis.  No one has volunteered for the 8.0.0
reference-guide release yet, but I suspect a volunteer will come
forward soon.

In the meantime though, there is documentation for Solr 8.0.0
available.  Solr's documentation is included alongside the code.  You
can checkout Solr and build the documentation yourself by moving to
"solr/solr-ref-guide" and running the command "ant clean default" from
that directory.  This will build the same HTML pages you're used to
seeing at lucene.apache.org/solr/guide, and you can open the local
copies in your browser and browse them as you normally would.

Alternatively, the Solr mirror on Github does its best to preview the
documentation.  It doesn't display perfectly, but it might be helpful
for tiding you over until the official documentation is available, if
you're unwilling or unable to build the documentation site locally:
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/branch_8_0/solr/solr-ref-guide/src/index.adoc

Hope that helps,

Jason

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 7:34 AM Yoann Moulin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m looking for the documentation for the latest release of SolR (8.0) but it looks like it’s not online yet.
>
> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/news.html
>
> http://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/
>
> Do you know when it will be available?
>
> Best regards.

> Yoann Moulin
> EPFL IC-IT

Re: Documentation for Apache Solr 8.0.0?

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
There is also a *DRAFT* HTML version of the to-be 8.1 guide built by Jenkins, see
https://builds.apache.org/view/L/view/Lucene/job/Solr-reference-guide-8.x/javadoc/ <https://builds.apache.org/view/L/view/Lucene/job/Solr-reference-guide-8.x/javadoc/>
It may serve as a place to read up while waiting for the 8,0 guide, as they are almost identical still.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 1. apr. 2019 kl. 16:11 skrev Jason Gerlowski <[hidden email]>:
>
> The Solr Reference Guide (of which the online documentation is a part)
> gets built and released separately from the Solr distribution itself.
> The Solr community tries to keep the code and documentation releases
> as close together as we can, but the releases require work and are
> done on a volunteer basis.  No one has volunteered for the 8.0.0
> reference-guide release yet, but I suspect a volunteer will come
> forward soon.
>
> In the meantime though, there is documentation for Solr 8.0.0
> available.  Solr's documentation is included alongside the code.  You
> can checkout Solr and build the documentation yourself by moving to
> "solr/solr-ref-guide" and running the command "ant clean default" from
> that directory.  This will build the same HTML pages you're used to
> seeing at lucene.apache.org/solr/guide, and you can open the local
> copies in your browser and browse them as you normally would.
>
> Alternatively, the Solr mirror on Github does its best to preview the
> documentation.  It doesn't display perfectly, but it might be helpful
> for tiding you over until the official documentation is available, if
> you're unwilling or unable to build the documentation site locally:
> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/branch_8_0/solr/solr-ref-guide/src/index.adoc
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Jason
>
> On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 7:34 AM Yoann Moulin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I’m looking for the documentation for the latest release of SolR (8.0) but it looks like it’s not online yet.
>>
>> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/news.html
>>
>> http://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/
>>
>> Do you know when it will be available?
>>
>> Best regards.
>>
>> --
>> Yoann Moulin
>> EPFL IC-IT

Re: Documentation for Apache Solr 8.0.0?

Cassandra Targett
The *DRAFT* 8.0 Guide is also available from Jenkins:

https://builds.apache.org/view/L/view/Lucene/job/Solr-reference-guide-8.0/javadoc/

Cassandra
On Apr 2, 2019, 3:23 AM -0500, Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> [...]

>>> copies in your browser and browse them as you normally would.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, the Solr mirror on Github does its best to preview the
>>> documentation. It doesn't display perfectly, but it might be helpful
>>> for tiding you over until the official documentation is available, if
>>> you're unwilling or unable to build the documentation site locally:
>>> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/branch_8_0/solr/solr-ref-guide/src/index.adoc
>>
>> There is also a *DRAFT* HTML version of the to-be 8.1 guide built by Jenkins, see
>> https://builds.apache.org/view/L/view/Lucene/job/Solr-reference-guide-8.x/javadoc/ <https://builds.apache.org/view/L/view/Lucene/job/Solr-reference-guide-8.x/javadoc/>
>> It may serve as a place to read up while waiting for the 8,0 guide, as they are almost identical still.
>
> The *DRAFT* 8.0 Guide is also available from Jenkins:

OK Thanks to all, I just built the doc following the instruction of Jason :) but good to know there is a doc available online too.

Best regards,

--
Yoann Moulin
EPFL IC-IT