Documentation?

jrodenburg
I was checking around the solr site and pages at apache.org and wasn't
finding much.  Before jumping into the code, I'd like to get as familiar
with solr as I could from existing docs or the like.  Can someone point me
in the direction?

thanks,
jeff r.

Re: Documentation?

Chris Hostetter-3

: I was checking around the solr site and pages at apache.org and wasn't
: finding much.  Before jumping into the code, I'd like to get as familiar
: with solr as I could from existing docs or the like.  Can someone point me
: in the direction?

The best documentation about using Solr is the tutorial...
        http://incubator.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html

The documentation on Solr's internals and developing Query plugins are
pretty sparse at the moment.  It's on my todo list (hopefull this week)

If you want a good chunk of code to sink your teeth into as a starting
point, take a look at StandardRequestHandler, and the APIs it uses from
other classes.

Re: Documentation?

Yonik Seeley
On 5/16/06, Jeff Rodenburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was checking around the solr site and pages at apache.org and wasn't
> finding much.

Make sure you don't miss the Wiki, there's a fair amount of stuff there.

RE: Documentation?

Brian Lucas
I've got some PHP and Ruby/Rails bindings I'll contribute soon enough as
well which will make integration with those environments fairly simple as
well.

On 5/16/06, Jeff Rodenburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was checking around the solr site and pages at apache.org and wasn't
> finding much.

Make sure you don't miss the Wiki, there's a fair amount of stuff there.

Re: Documentation?

jrodenburg
Thanks Chris/Yonik, don't know why I didn't see those yet.

-- j

> : I was checking around the solr site and pages at apache.org and wasn't
> : finding much.  Before jumping into the code, I'd like to get as familiar
> : with solr as I could from existing docs or the like.  Can someone point
> me
> : in the direction?
>
> The best documentation about using Solr is the tutorial...
>         http://incubator.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html
>
> The documentation on Solr's internals and developing Query plugins are
> pretty sparse at the moment.  It's on my todo list (hopefull this week)
>
> If you want a good chunk of code to sink your teeth into as a starting
> point, take a look at StandardRequestHandler, and the APIs it uses from
> other classes.
>
> -Hoss

Re: Documentation?

psyron
I read a bit "Lucene in action" with a lot of nice example and was very optimistic to use solr, but i was really disappointed when I was looking for documentation for solr - even the javadoc is very poor, no explanation of the framework, about why there are so many different classes with similar names, everything is just confusing!
I think, if somebody would have invested 1% of the time creating solr in his documentation, solr could be very easely used by everyone.
I am not an expert in search engine, and i also don't think that the framework of solr is so complicated, but without documentation I just feel lost.

What i really want  to do is a kind of "custom sorting" very similar to that "DistanceComparator" example from "Lucene in Action", but there is really no examples out there how to do that...

I admit, my own code most of time is not looking much better, but for such a big project i really expected much more documentation and comments for the api.

Thanks,
Markus

jrodenburg wrote
I was checking around the solr site and pages at apache.org and wasn't
finding much.  Before jumping into the code, I'd like to get as familiar
with solr as I could from existing docs or the like.  Can someone point me
in the direction?

thanks,
jeff r.

Re: Documentation?

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
Markus, as we are all volunteers here, nobody is paid to write code and
documentation. Everybody scratches their own itch. Complaining won't do a
lot of good here.

Most of Solr is not meant to be consumed as an API and therefore there is a
general lack of javadocs. Solr is generally used through configuration and
consumed over HTTP so you will find a lot of documentation on each of the
supported features. There is a lot of documentation on the wiki at
http://wiki.apache.org/solr . However the use-case you have is quite rare
and therefore not very well documented.

However, you will find that people are helpful if you are willing to give
them a chance. Starting a conversation in this tone will be a disadvantage.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:14 PM, psyron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I read a bit "Lucene in action" with a lot of nice example and was very
> optimistic to use solr, but i was really disappointed when I was looking
> for
> documentation for solr - even the javadoc is very poor, no explanation of
> the framework, about why there are so many different classes with similar
> names, everything is just confusing!
> I think, if somebody would have invested 1% of the time creating solr in
> his
> documentation, solr could be very easely used by everyone.
> I am not an expert in search engine, and i also don't think that the
> framework of solr is so complicated, but without documentation I just feel
> lost.
>
> What i really want  to do is a kind of "custom sorting" very similar to
> that
> "DistanceComparator" example from "Lucene in Action", but there is really
> no
> examples out there how to do that...
>
> I admit, my own code most of time is not looking much better, but for such
> big project i really expected much more documentation and comments for the
> api.
>
> Thanks,
> Markus
>

> jrodenburg wrote:
> >
> > I was checking around the solr site and pages at apache.org and wasn't
> > finding much.  Before jumping into the code, I'd like to get as familiar
> > with solr as I could from existing docs or the like.  Can someone point
> me
> > in the direction?
> >
> > thanks,
> > jeff r.