Documentation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Documentation

thorsten
Hi all,

I am looking for documentation on tika, can somebody give me some urls?

Cheers.

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler                                 thorsten.at.apache.org
Open Source Java                      consulting, training and solutions

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation

Jukka Zitting
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 1:12 AM, Thorsten Scherler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am looking for documentation on tika, can somebody give me some urls?

There isn't much yet, looking at the source code asking questions here
are probably your best options for now.

The reason why at least I don't yet feel ready to start documenting
Tika is that we're still working on some of the key interfaces. The
Parser interface is IMHO already pretty good, but we still need to
work at least on Metadata, TikaConfig, and MimeTypes before I'd call
the API stable.

That said, you can already do some pretty nice things with Tika. See
for example the TikaCLI [1] and TikaGUI [2] classes to find out how to
use Tika to extract content from binary documents.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tika/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/cli/TikaCLI.java
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tika/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/gui/TikaGUI.java

BR,

Jukka Zitting
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Documentation

thorsten
On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 01:29 +0200, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 1:12 AM, Thorsten Scherler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I am looking for documentation on tika, can somebody give me some urls?
>
> There isn't much yet, looking at the source code asking questions here
> are probably your best options for now.

Very good.

I am planing to use tika as a parse plugin for Apache Droids[3]. As soon
I find the time to test it I will try to write a couple of lines how I
got it running.


> The reason why at least I don't yet feel ready to start documenting
> Tika is that we're still working on some of the key interfaces. The
> Parser interface is IMHO already pretty good, but we still need to
> work at least on Metadata, TikaConfig, and MimeTypes before I'd call
> the API stable.

Hmm, the problem with zero documentation (a couple of lines normally do)
is that it scares away possible interest. I for one always look for the
standard "build jar and execute this command" readme.

>
> That said, you can already do some pretty nice things with Tika.

Would be nice to have a list but like I said will try do help where I
can when trying it out.

> See
> for example the TikaCLI [1] and TikaGUI [2] classes to find out how to
> use Tika to extract content from binary documents.

jeje, yaeh that would be a perfect starting point for a small readme.
Thank you very much Jukka and I guess I will have a couple of question
when I start the parse plugin.

salu2

>
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tika/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/cli/TikaCLI.java
> [2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tika/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/gui/TikaGUI.java
>

[3] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/labs/droids/trunk/
--
Thorsten Scherler                                 thorsten.at.apache.org
Open Source Java                      consulting, training and solutions