Documents that know more?

Furash Gary
I'm sure this is just a design point that I'm missing, but is there a
way to have my document objects know more about themselves?

At the time I create my document, I know a bit about how information is
being stored in it (e.g., this field represents a SOUNDEX copy, etc.),
yet the logic for that kind of stuff is kept in separate, unrelated
classes that have to be used properly in the document creation/retrieval
programs.

Would it make sense and, if so, is there a way to embed more logic in my
document objects (or some kind of subclass)?

Gary Furash, MBA, PMP
Applications Manager, Maricopa County Attorney's Office

Re: Documents that know more?

Michael D. Curtin
Furash Gary wrote:

> I'm sure this is just a design point that I'm missing, but is there a
> way to have my document objects know more about themselves?
>
> At the time I create my document, I know a bit about how information is
> being stored in it (e.g., this field represents a SOUNDEX copy, etc.),
> yet the logic for that kind of stuff is kept in separate, unrelated
> classes that have to be used properly in the document creation/retrieval
> programs.
>
> Would it make sense and, if so, is there a way to embed more logic in my
> document objects (or some kind of subclass)?

Whether it would make sense for your application or not is something I think
you're going to have to decide yourself.  From your description, it sounds
like it might be useful to have some of that additional information around later.

If so, how about adding a field or two to your Lucene index that store the
additional facts?  You don't have to index them, if you don't intend to search
based on them.  If you use an efficient encoding scheme, such fields might not
add much to your disk usage either.

Good luck!

--MDC

Re: Documents that know more?

steve_rowe
There has been a long-running thread on the java-dev list about how to
allow application-specific "extra stuff" to be placed in the index, at
multiple levels of granularity.  Some of this conversation is captured
on the Wiki at:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/FlexibleIndexing

Maybe you could modify the above page to include your requirements?

Steve

Furash Gary wrote:

> I'm sure this is just a design point that I'm missing, but is there a
> way to have my document objects know more about themselves?
>
> At the time I create my document, I know a bit about how information is
> being stored in it (e.g., this field represents a SOUNDEX copy, etc.),
> yet the logic for that kind of stuff is kept in separate, unrelated
> classes that have to be used properly in the document creation/retrieval
> programs.
>
> Would it make sense and, if so, is there a way to embed more logic in my
> document objects (or some kind of subclass)?
>
> Gary Furash, MBA, PMP
> Applications Manager, Maricopa County Attorney's Office

RE: Documents that know more?

Furash Gary
Thanks.  Sort of what I was thinking of was the fact that document X,
field N, was built via tokenizer/analyzer N.  If I need to search an
index of document Xs, then I should be using tokenizer/analyzer N
without having to "know" that it was built that way.