Dynamic fields performance question

climbingrose
Hi all,

I'm developing an application that potentially creates thousands of dynamic
fields.  Does anyone know if large number of dynamic fields will degrade
Solr performance?

Thanks.

Cuong Hoang

Re: Dynamic fields performance question

Yonik Seeley-2
On 3/26/07, climbingrose <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm developing an application that potentially creates thousands of dynamic
> fields.  Does anyone know if large number of dynamic fields will degrade
> Solr performance?

Thousands of fields won't be a problem if
 - you don't sort on most of them (sorting by a field takes up memory)
 - you can omit norms on most of them

Provided the above is true, differences in searching + indexing
performance shouldn't be noticeable.

Re: Dynamic fields performance question

climbingrose
Thanks Yonik. I think both of the conditions hold true for our application
;).

> On 3/26/07, climbingrose <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm developing an application that potentially creates thousands of
> dynamic
> > fields.  Does anyone know if large number of dynamic fields will degrade
> > Solr performance?
>
> Thousands of fields won't be a problem if
> - you don't sort on most of them (sorting by a field takes up memory)
> - you can omit norms on most of them
>
> Provided the above is true, differences in searching + indexing
> performance shouldn't be noticeable.
>
> -Yonik

Cuong Hoang