EmbeddedSolrServer removed quietly in 7.0?

EmbeddedSolrServer removed quietly in 7.0?

Robert Krüger-3
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade an application that still uses version 4.6.1 to
latest solr (7.2) but realized that support for EmbeddedSolrServer seems to
have vanished with 7.0 but I could find no mention of it in the release
notes, which strikes me as odd for such a disruptive change. Is it
somewhere else or has it just gone silently? The class wasn't deprecated in
6.x as far as I can see. What am I missing?

I have no problem updating to 6.6.2 for now to delay having to worry about
a bigger migration but just don't want to do it, because I am missing
something obvious.

Btw. I do not want to start yet another thread about the merits of using an
embedded solr server ;-).

Thanks,

Robert

Re: EmbeddedSolrServer removed quietly in 7.0?

Shawn Heisey-2
On 1/9/2018 2:42 AM, Robert Krüger wrote:

> I am looking to upgrade an application that still uses version 4.6.1 to
> latest solr (7.2) but realized that support for EmbeddedSolrServer seems to
> have vanished with 7.0 but I could find no mention of it in the release
> notes, which strikes me as odd for such a disruptive change. Is it
> somewhere else or has it just gone silently? The class wasn't deprecated in
> 6.x as far as I can see. What am I missing?
>
> I have no problem updating to 6.6.2 for now to delay having to worry about
> a bigger migration but just don't want to do it, because I am missing
> something obvious.
>
> Btw. I do not want to start yet another thread about the merits of using an
> embedded solr server ;-).

It's still there.  Here's the 7.2 javadoc:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/7_2_0/solr-core/org/apache/solr/client/solrj/embedded/EmbeddedSolrServer.html

Since 5.0, it is a descendant of SolrClient, and the SolrServer abstract
class was removed in 6.0.

Regarding whether you should use the embedded server or not:  For
production usage, I would not recommend it, because redundancy is not
possible.  But there are certain situations (mostly dev/testing) where
it's absolutely the right solution.

I am not expecting EmbeddedSolrServer to be removed.  It is used
extensively in Solr tests and by many users in the wild.

Thanks,
Shawn

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/9/2018 2:42 AM, Robert Krüger wrote:
>
>> I am looking to upgrade an application that still uses version 4.6.1 to
>> latest solr (7.2) but realized that support for EmbeddedSolrServer seems
>> have vanished with 7.0 but I could find no mention of it in the release
>> notes, which strikes me as odd for such a disruptive change. Is it
>> somewhere else or has it just gone silently? The class wasn't deprecated
>> in
>> 6.x as far as I can see. What am I missing?
>>
>> I have no problem updating to 6.6.2 for now to delay having to worry about
>> a bigger migration but just don't want to do it, because I am missing
>> something obvious.
>>
>> Btw. I do not want to start yet another thread about the merits of using
>> an
>> embedded solr server ;-).
>>

> It's still there.  Here's the 7.2 javadoc:
>
> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/7_2_0/solr-core/org/apache/
> solr/client/solrj/embedded/EmbeddedSolrServer.html

Duh, thanks so much. I was looking in the solrj javadoc, not solr-core! My
bad.

> Since 5.0, it is a descendant of SolrClient, and the SolrServer abstract
> class was removed in 6.0.
>
> Regarding whether you should use the embedded server or not:  For
> production usage, I would not recommend it, because redundancy is not
> possible.  But there are certain situations (mostly dev/testing) where it's
> absolutely the right solution.

We're using it in a classic embedded situation in a desktop app where
redundancy is not an issue and are super-happy with it.

> I am not expecting EmbeddedSolrServer to be removed.  It is used
> extensively in Solr tests and by many users in the wild.

That is very good to know. Thanks again!