Error with bin/optimize and multiple solr webapps

Error with bin/optimize and multiple solr webapps

jrodenburg
I noticed an issue with the optimize bash script in /bin.  Per the line:

rs=`curl http://${solr_hostname}:${solr_port}/solr/update -s -d
"<optimize/>"`

This line assumes a single solr installation under Tomcat, whereas the
multiple webapp scenario runs from a different location (the "/solr" part).
I'm sure this applies elsewhere.

I would submit a patch for JIRA, but couldn't find these files under version
control.  Any recommendations?

-- j

Re: Error with bin/optimize and multiple solr webapps

Chris Hostetter-3

: This line assumes a single solr installation under Tomcat, whereas the
: multiple webapp scenario runs from a different location (the "/solr" part).
: I'm sure this applies elsewhere.

good catch ... it looks like all of our scripts assume "/solr/update" is
the correct path to POST commit/optimize messages to.

: I would submit a patch for JIRA, but couldn't find these files under version
: control.  Any recommendations?

They live in src/scripts ... a patch would ceritanly be apprecaited.

FYI: there is an evolution underway to allow XML based update messages to
be sent to any path (and the fixed path "/update" is being deprecated)
so it would be handy if the entire URL path was configurable (not just hte
webapp name)

Re: Error with bin/optimize and multiple solr webapps

jrodenburg
Thanks Hoss.  I'll add an issue in JIRA and attach the patch.

> : This line assumes a single solr installation under Tomcat, whereas the
> : multiple webapp scenario runs from a different location (the "/solr"
> part).
> : I'm sure this applies elsewhere.
>
> good catch ... it looks like all of our scripts assume "/solr/update" is
> the correct path to POST commit/optimize messages to.
>
> : I would submit a patch for JIRA, but couldn't find these files under
> version
> : control.  Any recommendations?
>
> They live in src/scripts ... a patch would ceritanly be apprecaited.
>
> FYI: there is an evolution underway to allow XML based update messages to
> be sent to any path (and the fixed path "/update" is being deprecated)
> so it would be handy if the entire URL path was configurable (not just hte
> webapp name)
>

> -Hoss

Re: Error with bin/optimize and multiple solr webapps

jrodenburg
This issue has been logged as:

A patch file is included for those who are interested.  I've unit tested in
my environment, please validate it for your own environment.

cheers,

On 3/5/07, Jeff Rodenburg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Hoss.  I'll add an issue in JIRA and attach the patch.
>

> On 3/5/07, Chris Hostetter <[hidden email] > wrote:
> >

> > : This line assumes a single solr installation under Tomcat, whereas the
> >
> > : multiple webapp scenario runs from a different location (the "/solr"
> > part).
> > : I'm sure this applies elsewhere.
> >
> > good catch ... it looks like all of our scripts assume "/solr/update" is
> >
> > the correct path to POST commit/optimize messages to.
> >
> > : I would submit a patch for JIRA, but couldn't find these files under
> > version
> > : control.  Any recommendations?
> >
> > They live in src/scripts ... a patch would ceritanly be apprecaited.
> >
> > FYI: there is an evolution underway to allow XML based update messages
> > be sent to any path (and the fixed path "/update" is being deprecated)
> > so it would be handy if the entire URL path was configurable (not just
> > hte
> > webapp name)
> >

> > -Hoss

RE: Error with bin/optimize and multiple solr webapps

Graham Stead-2
Apologies in advance if SOLR-187 and SOLR-188 look the same -- they are the
same issue. I have been using adjusted scripts locally but hadn't used Jira
before and wasn't sure of the process. I decided to figure it out after
answering Gola's question this morning...then saw that Jeff had mentioned a
similar issue last night. I apologize again for confusion over the double
entry.

Thanks,
-Graham

Oops, my bad I didn't see either 186 or 187 before entering 188.  :-)

-- j

On 3/6/07, Graham Stead <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apologies in advance if SOLR-187 and SOLR-188 look the same -- they are
> the
> same issue. I have been using adjusted scripts locally but hadn't used
> Jira
> before and wasn't sure of the process. I decided to figure it out after
> answering Gola's question this morning...then saw that Jeff had mentioned
> similar issue last night. I apologize again for confusion over the double
> entry.
>
> Thanks,
> -Graham

Bertrand Delacretaz
On 3/7/07, Jeff Rodenburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oops, my bad I didn't see either 186 or 187 before entering 188.  :-)

I have closed SOLR-186 and SOLR-187 as duplicates, please add relevant
info to SOLR-188 if needed.

-Bertrand