Faceting Question

Jamie Johnson
I've recently been asked to be able to display a temporal facet broken down
by source, so source1 has the following temporal distribution, source 2 has
the following temporal distribution etc.  I was wondering what the best way
to accomplish this is?  My current thoughts were that I'd need to execute a
completely separate query for each, is this right?  Could field aliasing
some how be used to execute this in a single request to solr?  Any thoughts
would really be appreciated.

Re: Faceting Question

Jamie Johnson
Sorry some more info. I have a field to store source and another for date.
 I currently use faceting to get a temporal distribution across all
sources.  What is the best way to get a temporal distribution per source?
 Is the only thing I can do to execute 1 query for the list of sources and
then another query for each source?

On Wednesday, November 14, 2012, Jamie Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've recently been asked to be able to display a temporal facet broken
down by source, so source1 has the following temporal distribution, source
2 has the following temporal distribution etc.  I was wondering what the
best way to accomplish this is?  My current thoughts were that I'd need to
execute a completely separate query for each, is this right?  Could field
aliasing some how be used to execute this in a single request to solr?  Any
thoughts would really be appreciated.

Re: Faceting Question

Alexey Serba
Seems like pivot faceting is what you looking for (
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SimpleFacetParameters#Pivot_.28ie_Decision_Tree.29_Faceting
)

Note: it currently does not work in distributed mode - see

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Jamie Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry some more info. I have a field to store source and another for date.
>  I currently use faceting to get a temporal distribution across all
> sources.  What is the best way to get a temporal distribution per source?
>  Is the only thing I can do to execute 1 query for the list of sources and
> then another query for each source?
>
> On Wednesday, November 14, 2012, Jamie Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've recently been asked to be able to display a temporal facet broken
> down by source, so source1 has the following temporal distribution, source
> 2 has the following temporal distribution etc.  I was wondering what the
> best way to accomplish this is?  My current thoughts were that I'd need to
> execute a completely separate query for each, is this right?  Could field
> aliasing some how be used to execute this in a single request to solr?  Any
> thoughts would really be appreciated.

Re: Faceting Question

Jamie Johnson
Thanks, I'll take a look.  Do you happen to know if it works with dates?