Field Collapse backport for Solr 1.4 (1.4.1)?

Field Collapse backport for Solr 1.4 (1.4.1)?

Kaktu Chakarabati
Is there an easy way of enabling this feature on a stock build of solr 1.4 / 1.4.1 ? would very much like to incorporate it without having
to carry over all the solr 4.0 trunk..

Thanks
Adam

Re: Field Collapse backport for Solr 1.4 (1.4.1)?

Grant Ingersoll-2

On Nov 23, 2010, at 5:42 PM, Adam H. wrote:

> Is there an easy way of enabling this feature on a stock build of solr 1.4 / 1.4.1 ? would very much like to incorporate it without having
> to carry over all the solr 4.0 trunk..

You could do it yourself, but 1.4.X is bug fix only at this point, so we won't be backporting.  It will likely be in 3.x, which is roughly the equivalent of 1.5 (since we changed version numbers).

-Grant

Re: Field Collapse backport for Solr 1.4 (1.4.1)?

Lance Norskog-2
It is a hard problem.The old field collapsing JIRA (236) project sat
open and active for 3.5 years without being committed. This
implementation in the trunk is completely different.  It tries to do a
lot of things efficiently and needs systemic changes to Solr and
Lucene. It will take awhile before all the features and problems are
worked out. The "theme" of 3.x is bug fixes and solid features, and
field collapsing does not fall in this category.

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:05 AM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2010, at 5:42 PM, Adam H. wrote:
>
>> Is there an easy way of enabling this feature on a stock build of solr 1.4 / 1.4.1 ? would very much like to incorporate it without having
>> to carry over all the solr 4.0 trunk..
>
> You could do it yourself, but 1.4.X is bug fix only at this point, so we won't be backporting.  It will likely be in 3.x, which is roughly the equivalent of 1.5 (since we changed version numbers).
>
> -Grant

Lance Norskog

Re: Field Collapse backport for Solr 1.4 (1.4.1)?

Kaktu Chakarabati
Got you, thanks for the detailed response. Will look into rolling my own solution for now

Adam

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Lance Norskog <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is a hard problem.The old field collapsing JIRA (236) project sat
open and active for 3.5 years without being committed. This
implementation in the trunk is completely different.  It tries to do a
lot of things efficiently and needs systemic changes to Solr and
Lucene. It will take awhile before all the features and problems are
worked out. The "theme" of 3.x is bug fixes and solid features, and
field collapsing does not fall in this category.

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:05 AM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2010, at 5:42 PM, Adam H. wrote:
>
>> Is there an easy way of enabling this feature on a stock build of solr 1.4 / 1.4.1 ? would very much like to incorporate it without having
>> to carry over all the solr 4.0 trunk..
>
> You could do it yourself, but 1.4.X is bug fix only at this point, so we won't be backporting.  It will likely be in 3.x, which is roughly the equivalent of 1.5 (since we changed version numbers).
>
> -Grant

Lance Norskog