Quantcast

[GSOC] Ranking Process

Grant Ingersoll-2

Re: [GSOC] Ranking Process

Ted Dunning
I only see two applications for Mahout, one reasonably strong, one much less
so.

Are there students out there who still need to prepare an application?

The deadline is coming up fast.

Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: [GSOC] Ranking Process

Richard Tomsett
I'm preparing an application, but haven't submitted yet as I was
waiting on confirmation of my student status... as I now know that I'm
going to be eligible I'll get my application in soon :)

2009/4/1 Ted Dunning <[hidden email]>:

> I only see two applications for Mahout, one reasonably strong, one much less
> so.
>
> Are there students out there who still need to prepare an application?
>
> The deadline is coming up fast.
>
> 2009/3/31 Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]>
>
>> FYI: http://wiki.apache.org/general/RankingProcess
>>
>> -Grant
>>

> --
> Ted Dunning, CTO
> DeepDyve

Re: [GSOC] Ranking Process

Grant Ingersoll-2
Hmm, I see several in there, but they aren't all labeled w/ Mahout, so
that may be why.  I also expanded to see 100 at a time.

-Grant

On Mar 31, 2009, at 8:43 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> I only see two applications for Mahout, one reasonably strong, one
> much less
> so.
>
> Are there students out there who still need to prepare an application?
>
> The deadline is coming up fast.
>
> 2009/3/31 Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]>
>
>> FYI: http://wiki.apache.org/general/RankingProcess
>>
>> -Grant
>>

> --
> Ted Dunning, CTO
> DeepDyve

Re: [GSOC] Ranking Process

Grant Ingersoll-2
The other thing to note, here, is that people should be aware that the
ASF is only going to get a certain number of slots from Google (last
year, it was somewhere in the 30-40 range, I think), which are
distributed across all projects that have expressed an interest in
mentoring.  While Mahout has 4 interested mentors, that does not mean
Mahout will get 4 projects.

At any rate, best of luck to everyone.  If you don't get picked, we
still welcome your contributions!  Remember, open source is an
excellent resume builder.

Cheers,
Grant

On Mar 31, 2009, at 4:43 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> FYI: http://wiki.apache.org/general/RankingProcess
>
> -Grant

Re: [GSOC] Ranking Process

Ted Dunning
Let me second that.  When I am hiring a student without professional
experience, it is almost a perfect predictor that if they have done
significant work on a significant outside project they will get an interview
with me and if not, they won't.

Moreover, if I have a candidate at any level who has made significant
contributions to a major open source project, I generally don't even drill
much more on code hygiene issues.  The standards in most open source
projects regarding testing and continuous integration are high enough that I
don't have to worry about whether the applicant understands how to code and
how to code with others.

On the other hand, the only use I make of the list of buzzwords generally
found under "skills" on a resume is that I start at the end of the list and
ask a question about that area's fundamentals to see if the student is
padding their list.  When interviewing with me don't ever put anything on
your resume that you don't really know.

I don't know how widespread my attitude is, but I can't believe I am alone
in this.