Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

12

Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Luca Dall'Osto
Hello,
I'm new in Solr (and in mailing lists..), and I have a question about querying contents in multiple custom orders.
I 'm trying to query some documents boosted by 2 (or more) fields: I'm able to make a search of 2 day and return results boosted by category field, like this:

?indent=on
&defType=edismax
&q=(date:[2017-06-16T00:00:00Z TO 2017-06-18T23:59:59Z])
&bq=category:9500^2
&bq=category:1100^1
&rows=40
&wt=jsonThis will return all documents of category 9500 first, and 1100 in after.Now I would like to get this documents with a second boost based on another field, called source.I would like to have documents in this order:1) category:9500 AND source:5
2) category:9500 AND source:9
3) category:9500 AND source:7
4) category:1100 AND source:5
5) category:1100 AND source:9
6) category:1100 AND source:7
To get this order, I tied with this query:?indent=on
&defType=edismax
&q=(date:[2017-06-16T00:00:00Z TO 2017-06-18T23:59:59Z])
&bq=category:9500^2+source:(5^3 OR 9^2 OR 7^1)
&bq=category:1100^1+source:(5^3 OR 9^2 OR 7^1)
&rows=40
&wt=json
How can I apply a double boosts to get the documents in my correct order? Is boost the correct tool for my purpose?Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Luca

AW: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Florian Waltersdorfer
Hi,

I am quite the SolR newbie myself, but have you looked at the resulting scores, e.g. via fl=*,score (that way, you can see/test how your boosting affects the results)?
In a similar scenario, I am using fixed value boosts for specific field values; "^=[boost]" instead of "^[factor]", for example:

category:9500^=20  source:(5^=20 OR 9^=10 OR 7^=5)

(Actual fixed values open for experimentation.)

Regards,
Florian

[...]

To get this order, I tied with this query:?indent=on &defType=edismax &q=(date:[2017-06-16T00:00:00Z TO 2017-06-18T23:59:59Z])
&wt=json
How can I apply a double boosts to get the documents in my correct order? Is boost the correct tool for my purpose?Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Luca

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Erick Erickson
I don't think boosting is really what you want here. Boosting
_influences_ the score, it does not impose an ordering.

Sorting _does_ impose an ordering, the question is how to sort and the
answer depends on how fixed (or not) the sorting criteria are. Do they
change with different queries? If not, the very simplest thing to do
is to index a field with a pre-computed sort value. IOW, if your
ordering is _always_ source 5, 9, 7 index a source_sort field that
orders things that way and sort on that. Then I'd have a secondary
sort by score as a tie-breaker.

If that's not the case, perhaps sorting by function (perhaps a custom
function) would work.

Best,
Erick

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:30 AM, Florian Waltersdorfer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am quite the SolR newbie myself, but have you looked at the resulting scores, e.g. via fl=*,score (that way, you can see/test how your boosting affects the results)?
> In a similar scenario, I am using fixed value boosts for specific field values; "^=[boost]" instead of "^[factor]", for example:
>
> category:9500^=20  source:(5^=20 OR 9^=10 OR 7^=5)
>
> (Actual fixed values open for experimentation.)
>
> Regards,
> Florian

Hello everyone,thanks for the prompt reply!
In response to Florian, I can get correct score only when boost for 1 filed (for example category): the score are correctly increased by the factor.But when I try to make a double boost, the score are not great as expected (for example, if the greatest boost factor for category is 3 and for source is 3,  sometimes I've got documents boosted with category^3 and source^1 **before** documents boosted with category^3 and source^3).
I tired you snippet code "^=[boost]" instead of "^[factor]" but seems not work for me: SyntaxError: Cannot parse 'category:9500^': Encountered \"<EOF>\" at line 1 (...)
In response to Erik, I have different "sort preferences", so I can't build a index and use for sorting.Maybe I have to sort by category then by source and by language or by source, then by category and by date.The sort function that you are talking is a custom sort function of Solr?I build a custom PHP method that sort documents queried from Solr and it works good: the problem is that if I choose this way I have to get **all** the results in a single query and I can't paginate.Today I have millions of record and query could be very large, I would like to paginate results.To paginate results I need that Solr give me the results query in the correct order.Thank you very much

Luca

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am quite the SolR newbie myself, but have you looked at the resulting scores, e.g. via fl=*,score (that way, you can see/test how your boosting affects the results)?
> In a similar scenario, I am using fixed value boosts for specific field values; "^=[boost]" instead of "^[factor]", for example:
>
> category:9500^=20  source:(5^=20 OR 9^=10 OR 7^=5)
>
> (Actual fixed values open for experimentation.)
>
> Regards,
> Florian

Susheel Kumar-3
As Eric suggested, its possible by sorting using custom function. You may
have to use if, sum and exists function etc. to come up with custom score
field and sort using this field. The if condition would check for the
conditions mentioned and keep adding the score etc.

Thanks,
Susheel

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 6:23 AM, Luca Dall'Osto <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,thanks for the prompt reply!
> filed (for example category): the score are correctly increased by the
> factor.But when I try to make a double boost, the score are not great as
> expected (for example, if the greatest boost factor for category is 3 and
> for source is 3,  sometimes I've got documents boosted with category^3 and
> source^1 **before** documents boosted with category^3 and source^3).
> I tired you snippet code "^=[boost]" instead of "^[factor]" but seems not
> work for me: SyntaxError: Cannot parse 'category:9500^': Encountered
> \"<EOF>\" at line 1 (...)
> a index and use for sorting.Maybe I have to sort by category then by source
> and by language or by source, then by category and by date.The sort
> function that you are talking is a custom sort function of Solr?I build a
> custom PHP method that sort documents queried from Solr and it works good:
> the problem is that if I choose this way I have to get **all** the results
> in a single query and I can't paginate.Today I have millions of record and
> query could be very large, I would like to paginate results.To paginate
> results I need that Solr give me the results query in the correct
> order.Thank you very much
>
> Luca
>

>     On Monday, July 17, 2017 6:04 PM, Erick Erickson <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>  I don't think boosting is really what you want here. Boosting
> _influences_ the score, it does not impose an ordering.
>
> Sorting _does_ impose an ordering, the question is how to sort and the
> answer depends on how fixed (or not) the sorting criteria are. Do they
> change with different queries? If not, the very simplest thing to do
> is to index a field with a pre-computed sort value. IOW, if your
> ordering is _always_ source 5, 9, 7 index a source_sort field that
> orders things that way and sort on that. Then I'd have a secondary
> sort by score as a tie-breaker.
>
> If that's not the case, perhaps sorting by function (perhaps a custom
> function) would work.
>
> Best,
> Erick
>
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:30 AM, Florian Waltersdorfer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am quite the SolR newbie myself, but have you looked at the resulting
> scores, e.g. via fl=*,score (that way, you can see/test how your boosting
> affects the results)?
> > In a similar scenario, I am using fixed value boosts for specific field
> values; "^=[boost]" instead of "^[factor]", for example:
> >
> > category:9500^=20  source:(5^=20 OR 9^=10 OR 7^=5)
> >
> > (Actual fixed values open for experimentation.)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Florian

alessandro.benedetti
"I have different "sort preferences", so I can't build a index and use for sorting.Maybe I have to sort by category then by source and by language or by source, then by category and by date"

I would like to focus on this bit.
It is ok to go for a custom function and sort at query time, but I am curious to explore why an index time solution should not be ok.
You can have these distinct fields :
source_priority
language_priority
category_priority
ect

This values can be assigned at the documents at indexing time ( using for example a custom update request processor).
Then at query time you can easily sort on those values in a multi layered approach :
sort:source_priority desc, category_priority  desc
Of course, if the priority for a source changes quite often or if it's user dependent, a query time solution would be preferred.

---------------
Alessandro Benedetti
Sease Ltd. - www.sease.io

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Luca Dall'Osto
Hello,The problem of build an index is that each user has a custom source order and category order: are not static orders (for example user X could have category:5 as most important category but user Y could have category:9 as most important).
Has anyone ever written a custom sort function in solr?Maybe a link of a tutorial or an example could be very helpful. Thanks

Luca

    On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:18 PM, alessandro.benedetti <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

-----

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Rick Leir-2
Luca,
You can pass a sort parameter in the query. User A could sort=date%20desc and user b could sort=foofield%20asc.

Maybe query functions can also help with this. Cheers -- Rick

On July 19, 2017 4:39:59 AM EDT, Luca Dall'Osto <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello,The problem of build an index is that each user has a custom
>source order and category order: are not static orders (for example
>user X could have category:5 as most important category but user Y
>could have category:9 as most important).
>Has anyone ever written a custom sort function in solr?Maybe a link of
>a tutorial or an example could be very helpful. Thanks
>
>Luca
>
>On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:18 PM, alessandro.benedetti
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>"I have different "sort preferences", so I can't build a index and use
>for
>sorting.Maybe I have to sort by category then by source and by language
>or
>by source, then by category and by date"
>
>I would like to focus on this bit.
>It is ok to go for a custom function and sort at query time, but I am
>curious to explore why an index time solution should not be ok.
>You can have these distinct fields :
>source_priority
>language_priority
>category_priority
>ect
>
>This values can be assigned at the documents at indexing time ( using
>for
>example a custom update request processor).
>Then at query time you can easily sort on those values in a multi
>layered
>approach :
>sort:source_priority desc, category_priority  desc
>Of course, if the priority for a source changes quite often or if it's
>user
>dependent, a query time solution would be preferred.
>

>-----

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Susheel Kumar-3
Let me try to put an example for custom sort.

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Rick Leir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Luca,
> You can pass a sort parameter in the query. User A could sort=date%20desc
> and user b could sort=foofield%20asc.
>
> Maybe query functions can also help with this. Cheers -- Rick
>
> On July 19, 2017 4:39:59 AM EDT, Luca Dall'Osto
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Hello,The problem of build an index is that each user has a custom
> >source order and category order: are not static orders (for example
> >user X could have category:5 as most important category but user Y
> >could have category:9 as most important).
> >Has anyone ever written a custom sort function in solr?Maybe a link of
> >a tutorial or an example could be very helpful. Thanks
> >
> >Luca
> >
> >On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:18 PM, alessandro.benedetti
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >"I have different "sort preferences", so I can't build a index and use
> >for
> >sorting.Maybe I have to sort by category then by source and by language
> >or
> >by source, then by category and by date"
> >
> >I would like to focus on this bit.
> >It is ok to go for a custom function and sort at query time, but I am
> >curious to explore why an index time solution should not be ok.
> >You can have these distinct fields :
> >source_priority
> >language_priority
> >category_priority
> >ect
> >
> >This values can be assigned at the documents at indexing time ( using
> >for
> >example a custom update request processor).
> >Then at query time you can easily sort on those values in a multi
> >layered
> >approach :
> >sort:source_priority desc, category_priority  desc
> >Of course, if the priority for a source changes quite often or if it's
> >user
> >dependent, a query time solution would be preferred.
> >

> >-----

> Sorry for being brief. Alternate email is rickleir at yahoo dot com

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Luca Dall'Osto
Hello,
sorry for the late, I was out of my home.

I can't do that because:
1) each user should have multiple sort (for example user "A" can sort by date and then by category and then by name ...) .
2) the sort is not natural sort: user has a custom order for a field (for example sorting category field of user "A" could be category 10 at position 1, category 2 at position 2, category 9500 at position 3, category 40 at position 5 ...).

Thanks for your response.

Luca

    On Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:10 AM, Susheel Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Let me try to put an example for custom sort.

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Rick Leir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Luca,
> You can pass a sort parameter in the query. User A could sort=date%20desc
> and user b could sort=foofield%20asc.
>
> Maybe query functions can also help with this. Cheers -- Rick
>
> On July 19, 2017 4:39:59 AM EDT, Luca Dall'Osto
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Hello,The problem of build an index is that each user has a custom
> >source order and category order: are not static orders (for example
> >user X could have category:5 as most important category but user Y
> >could have category:9 as most important).
> >Has anyone ever written a custom sort function in solr?Maybe a link of
> >a tutorial or an example could be very helpful. Thanks
> >
> >Luca
> >
> >On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:18 PM, alessandro.benedetti
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >"I have different "sort preferences", so I can't build a index and use
> >for
> >sorting.Maybe I have to sort by category then by source and by language
> >or
> >by source, then by category and by date"
> >
> >I would like to focus on this bit.
> >It is ok to go for a custom function and sort at query time, but I am
> >curious to explore why an index time solution should not be ok.
> >You can have these distinct fields :
> >source_priority
> >language_priority
> >category_priority
> >ect
> >
> >This values can be assigned at the documents at indexing time ( using
> >for
> >example a custom update request processor).
> >Then at query time you can easily sort on those values in a multi
> >layered
> >approach :
> >sort:source_priority desc, category_priority  desc
> >Of course, if the priority for a source changes quite often or if it's
> >user
> >dependent, a query time solution would be preferred.
> >

> >-----

> Sorry for being brief. Alternate email is rickleir at yahoo dot com

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Rick Leir-2
Luca
I hope you have a web app in front of Solr. It could accept parameters from the browser, then construct the query as necessary to do your sorting. Cheers -- Rick

On August 4, 2017 5:32:31 AM EDT, Luca Dall'Osto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >language_priority
>> >category_priority
>> >ect
>> >
>> >This values can be assigned at the documents at indexing time (
>using
>> >for
>> >example a custom update request processor).
>> >Then at query time you can easily sort on those values in a multi
>> >layered
>> >approach :
>> >sort:source_priority desc, category_priority  desc
>> >Of course, if the priority for a source changes quite often or if
>it's
>> >user
>> >dependent, a query time solution would be preferred.
>> >

>> >-----
>> >

>> --
>> Sorry for being brief. Alternate email is rickleir at yahoo dot com

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Hello Rick,
thanks for your answer.
Yes, I compose solr query from frontend request, but I'm not able to sort by a custom order, only by natural order (for example: sort=category desc, source desc, /*...*/ ).
How do you set a custom sort order in solr?
Thanks

Luca

    On Friday, August 4, 2017 7:41 PM, Rick Leir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> >language_priority
>> >category_priority
>> >ect
>> >
>> >This values can be assigned at the documents at indexing time (
>using
>> >for
>> >example a custom update request processor).
>> >Then at query time you can easily sort on those values in a multi
>> >layered
>> >approach :
>> >sort:source_priority desc, category_priority  desc
>> >Of course, if the priority for a source changes quite often or if
>it's
>> >user
>> >dependent, a query time solution would be preferred.
>> >

>> >-----
>> >

>> --
>> Sorry for being brief. Alternate email is rickleir at yahoo dot com

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

What is the algorithm for the custom sort order?  -- Rick

On August 7, 2017 6:38:49 AM EDT, Luca Dall'Osto <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello Rick,
>thanks for your answer.
>Yes, I compose solr query from frontend request, but I'm not able to
>sort by a custom order, only by natural order (for example:
>sort=category desc, source desc, /*...*/ ).
>How do you set a custom sort order in solr?
>Thanks
>
>Luca
>

>On Friday, August 4, 2017 7:41 PM, Rick Leir <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>

> Luca
>I hope you have a web app in front of Solr. It could accept parameters
>from the browser, then construct the query as necessary to do your
>sorting. Cheers -- Rick
>
>On August 4, 2017 5:32:31 AM EDT, Luca Dall'Osto
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>sorry for the late, I was out of my home.

>>I can't do that because:
>>1) each user should have multiple sort (for example user "A" can sort
>>by date and then by category and then by name ...) .
>>2) the sort is not natural sort: user has a custom order for a field
>>(for example sorting category field of user "A" could be category 10
>at
>>position 1, category 2 at position 2, category 9500 at position 3,
>>category 40 at position 5 ...).

>>Thanks for your response.
>>
>>Luca
>>

>>On Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:10 AM, Susheel Kumar
>><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Let me try to put an example for custom sort.
>>
>>On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Rick Leir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Luca,
>>> You can pass a sort parameter in the query. User A could
>>sort=date%20desc
>>> and user b could sort=foofield%20asc.
>>>
>>> Maybe query functions can also help with this. Cheers -- Rick

>>of

>>use
>>language

>>am

>>using
>>it's

>>> --
>>> Sorry for being brief. Alternate email is rickleir at yahoo dot com
>>

>--
>Sorry for being brief. Alternate email is rickleir at yahoo dot com

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Luca Dall'Osto
Hello Rick,
I have no algorithm: user choose the order of the categories, and the sources, For example:

For Category:
- at position 0 category_id 9500.
- at position 1 category_id 10.
- at position 2 category_ud 555.
(etc...)

For Source:

- at position 0 source_id 12.
- at position 1 source_id 30.

- at position 2 source_id 3.

(etc...)

After that, user decide what kind of sort apply.
For example: fist by DATE, then by CATEGORY, then by SOURCE and then by NAME.
I have 1 array with all category Ids with correct order decided by user and another one with source Ids in correct order decided by user.
Then I have another array that specify the sort type (like example, user should ask documents ordered by DATE first, then by CATEGORY, etc... )
Natural sort order could be fine only for DATE and NAME, but for CATEGORY and SOURCE I have to use the array with ids sorted by user.
Thanks!

Luca

    On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 6:54 PM, Rick Leir <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Luca,
What is the algorithm for the custom sort order?  -- Rick

On August 7, 2017 6:38:49 AM EDT, Luca Dall'Osto <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello Rick,
>thanks for your answer.
>Yes, I compose solr query from frontend request, but I'm not able to
>sort by a custom order, only by natural order (for example:
>sort=category desc, source desc, /*...*/ ).
>How do you set a custom sort order in solr?
>Thanks
>
>Luca
>

>On Friday, August 4, 2017 7:41 PM, Rick Leir <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>

> Luca
>I hope you have a web app in front of Solr. It could accept parameters
>from the browser, then construct the query as necessary to do your
>sorting. Cheers -- Rick
>
>On August 4, 2017 5:32:31 AM EDT, Luca Dall'Osto
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>sorry for the late, I was out of my home.

>>I can't do that because:
>>1) each user should have multiple sort (for example user "A" can sort
>>by date and then by category and then by name ...) .
>>2) the sort is not natural sort: user has a custom order for a field
>>(for example sorting category field of user "A" could be category 10
>at
>>position 1, category 2 at position 2, category 9500 at position 3,
>>category 40 at position 5 ...).

>>Thanks for your response.
>>
>>Luca
>>

>>On Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:10 AM, Susheel Kumar
>><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Let me try to put an example for custom sort.
>>
>>On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Rick Leir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Luca,
>>> You can pass a sort parameter in the query. User A could
>>sort=date%20desc
>>> and user b could sort=foofield%20asc.
>>>
>>> Maybe query functions can also help with this. Cheers -- Rick

>>of

>>use
>>language

>>am

>>using
>>it's

>>> --
>>> Sorry for being brief. Alternate email is rickleir at yahoo dot com
>>

>--
>Sorry for being brief. Alternate email is rickleir at yahoo dot com

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Rick Leir-2
Luca
Can you give me an example? If category_id is 9500, what would you want to sort on? -- Rick

On August 16, 2017 5:19:56 AM EDT, Luca Dall'Osto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>category 40 at position 5 ...).

>>>Thanks for your response.
>>>
>>>Luca
>>>

>>>On Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:10 AM, Susheel Kumar
>>><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Let me try to put an example for custom sort.

>>>sort=date%20desc

>example
>link
>>>of

>>>use
>>>language

>>>am

>>>using
>>>it's

>>--
>>Sorry for being brief. Alternate email is rickleir at yahoo dot com
>>

>--
>Sorry for being brief. Alternate email is rickleir at yahoo dot com

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Yes, of course, and excuse me for the misunderstanding.

In my scenario I have to display a list with hundreds of documents.
An user can show this documents in a particular order, this order is decided by user in a settings view.

Order levels are for example:
1) Order by category, as most important.
2) Order by source, as second level.
3) Order by date (ascending or descending).
4) Order by title (ascending or descending).

For category order, in settings view, user has an box with a list of all categories available for him/her.
User drag&drop elements of the list to set in the favorite order.
Same thing for sources.

Let me show you an example of the list:
User show home page with a list of that documents:

documents : [
    0 => {
        "id" : 100,
        "title" : "Title A",
        "category" : 10,
        "source" : 3,
        "date" : "2017-08-17",
    },
    1 => {
        "id" : 101,
        "title" : "Title B",
        "category" : 50,
        "source" : 1,
        "date" : "2017-08-17",
    },
    2 => {
        "id" : 102,
        "title" : "Title A",
        "category" : 10,
        "source" : 5,
        "date" : "2017-08-17",
    },
    3 => {
        "id" : 103,
        "title" : "Title C",
        "category" : 10,
        "source" : 5,
        "date" : "2017-07-23",
    },
    4 => {
        "id" : 104,
        "title" : "Title C",
        "category" : 4,
        "source" : 3,
        "date" : "2017-08-17",
    },
];

This user has the category order like:
category_order: [
    0 => 10,
    1 => 4,
    2 => 50,
]

... and source order like:
source_order: [
    0 => 5,
    1 => 3,
    2 => 1000,
    3 => 1
]

Now, this user has specified in settings that he/she will show:
1) first documents order by category
2) then, user will have these documents in source order
3) then, order by date DESCENDING (newest first)
4) and finally by name as last order ASCENDING (A to Z).

I have to query documents from Solr with these orders.
The results would be like
1) document with id = 102,
2) document with id = 103,
3) document with id = 100,
4) document with id = 104,
5) document with id = 101,

I hope I explained it well.

PS: If you need, I wrote a custom sort function that sort elements of a list (instance object of jQuery plugin List.js) in the correct order I need.
It's JavasScript code, made before I implement Solr pagination.
With Solr pagination it don't work.
If you need it let me know, I will post it on Pastebin.

Thank you

Luca

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 12:39 PM, Rick Leir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>>category 40 at position 5 ...).

>>>Thanks for your response.
>>>
>>>Luca
>>>

>>>On Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:10 AM, Susheel Kumar
>>><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Let me try to put an example for custom sort.

>>>sort=date%20desc

>example
>link
>>>of

>>>use
>>>language

>>>am

>>>using
>>>it's

>>--
>>Sorry for being brief. Alternate email is rickleir at yahoo dot com
>>

>--
>Sorry for being brief. Alternate email is rickleir at yahoo dot com

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Tom Evans
On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Luca Dall'Osto
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, of course, and excuse me for the misunderstanding.
>

> In my scenario I have to display a list with hundreds of documents.
> An user can show this documents in a particular order, this order is decided by user in a settings view.
>

> Order levels are for example:
> 1) Order by category, as most important.
> 2) Order by source, as second level.
> 3) Order by date (ascending or descending).
> 4) Order by title (ascending or descending).
>

> For category order, in settings view, user has an box with a list of all categories available for him/her.
> User drag&drop elements of the list to set in the favorite order.
> Same thing for sources.

Solr can only sort by indexed fields, it needs to be able to compare
one document to another document, and the only information available
at that point are the indexed fields.

This would be untenable in your scenario, because you cannot add a
category.<userid>.sort_order field to every document for every user.

If this custom sorting is a hard requirement, the only feasible
solution I see is to write a custom sorting plugin, that provides a
function that you can sort on. This blog post describes how this can
be achieved:

https://medium.com/culture-wavelabs/sorting-based-on-a-custom-function-in-solr-c94ddae99a12

I would imagine that you would need one sort function, maybe called
usersortorder(), to which you would provide the users preferred sort
ordering (which you would retrieve from wherever you store such
information) and the field that you want sorted. It would look
something like this:

usersortorder("category_id", "3,5,1,7,2,12,14,58") DESC,
usersortorder("source_id", "5,2,1,4,3") DESC, date DESC, title DESC

Cheers

Tom

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Luca Dall'Osto
Hello Tom,
thanks for you reply.
As say in last email, I made the custom function in JS.I posted in pastebin right now: https://pastebin.com/faXNi0fR

What I have to do is create the same function in Solr... I will take a look to your link and try to create the custom function.
Thanks

Luca

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, of course, and excuse me for the misunderstanding.
>

> In my scenario I have to display a list with hundreds of documents.
> An user can show this documents in a particular order, this order is decided by user in a settings view.
>

> Order levels are for example:
> 1) Order by category, as most important.
> 2) Order by source, as second level.
> 3) Order by date (ascending or descending).
> 4) Order by title (ascending or descending).
>

> For category order, in settings view, user has an box with a list of all categories available for him/her.
> User drag&drop elements of the list to set in the favorite order.
> Same thing for sources.

Solr can only sort by indexed fields, it needs to be able to compare
one document to another document, and the only information available
at that point are the indexed fields.

This would be untenable in your scenario, because you cannot add a
category.<userid>.sort_order field to every document for every user.

If this custom sorting is a hard requirement, the only feasible
solution I see is to write a custom sorting plugin, that provides a
function that you can sort on. This blog post describes how this can
be achieved:

https://medium.com/culture-wavelabs/sorting-based-on-a-custom-function-in-solr-c94ddae99a12

I would imagine that you would need one sort function, maybe called
usersortorder(), to which you would provide the users preferred sort
ordering (which you would retrieve from wherever you store such
information) and the field that you want sorted. It would look
something like this:

usersortorder("category_id", "3,5,1,7,2,12,14,58") DESC,
usersortorder("source_id", "5,2,1,4,3") DESC, date DESC, title DESC

Cheers

Tom

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Walter Underwood
Why do you want to do this in Solr? This would be pretty easy in SQL. If you want to sort, use a relational database.

wunder
Walter Underwood

> On Aug 18, 2017, at 2:52 AM, Luca Dall'Osto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Tom,
> thanks for you reply.
> As say in last email, I made the custom function in JS.I posted in pastebin right now: https://pastebin.com/faXNi0fR
>

> What I have to do is create the same function in Solr... I will take a look to your link and try to create the custom function.
> Thanks
>

> Luca
>

>    On Friday, August 18, 2017 10:58 AM, Tom Evans <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Luca Dall'Osto
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, of course, and excuse me for the misunderstanding.
>>

>> In my scenario I have to display a list with hundreds of documents.
>> An user can show this documents in a particular order, this order is decided by user in a settings view.
>>

>> Order levels are for example:
>> 1) Order by category, as most important.
>> 2) Order by source, as second level.
>> 3) Order by date (ascending or descending).
>> 4) Order by title (ascending or descending).
>>

>> For category order, in settings view, user has an box with a list of all categories available for him/her.
>> User drag&drop elements of the list to set in the favorite order.
>> Same thing for sources.
>>

> Solr can only sort by indexed fields, it needs to be able to compare
> one document to another document, and the only information available
> at that point are the indexed fields.
>
> This would be untenable in your scenario, because you cannot add a
> category.<userid>.sort_order field to every document for every user.
>
> If this custom sorting is a hard requirement, the only feasible
> solution I see is to write a custom sorting plugin, that provides a
> function that you can sort on. This blog post describes how this can
> be achieved:
>
> https://medium.com/culture-wavelabs/sorting-based-on-a-custom-function-in-solr-c94ddae99a12
>
> I would imagine that you would need one sort function, maybe called
> usersortorder(), to which you would provide the users preferred sort
> ordering (which you would retrieve from wherever you store such
> information) and the field that you want sorted. It would look
> something like this:
>
> usersortorder("category_id", "3,5,1,7,2,12,14,58") DESC,
> usersortorder("source_id", "5,2,1,4,3") DESC, date DESC, title DESC
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

Re: Get results in multiple orders (multiple boosts)

Rick Leir-2
Luca
Walter has got the best word on this, you should use SQL for sorting (maybe mySQL or Postgres). If you also need searching, you can create a Solr index by ingesting from the SQL database. The Solr index would be just used for searching. Cheers -- Rick
12