Google's Summer of Code

Chris Hostetter-3

Google announced today their "Summer of Code" To provide stipends for
Students who successfully impliment OSS projects during the summer.  All
projects must be contributions to a "mentoring" organization, and the ASF
is already on the list.

For some reason, ASF is the only participating organization that doesn't
have a list of project ideas for students to consider, which got me
wondering:

   Are there any "medium" sized Lucene projects that a single
   College/HighSchool student (working alone) could probably
   complete in a two month time frame?

Details...

        http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

Re: Google's Summer of Code

Garrett Rooney
Chris Hostetter wrote:

> Google announced today their "Summer of Code" To provide stipends for
> Students who successfully impliment OSS projects during the summer.  All
> projects must be contributions to a "mentoring" organization, and the ASF
> is already on the list.
>
> For some reason, ASF is the only participating organization that doesn't
> have a list of project ideas for students to consider, which got me
> wondering:
>
>    Are there any "medium" sized Lucene projects that a single
>    College/HighSchool student (working alone) could probably
>    complete in a two month time frame?
>
> Details...
>
> http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

The Lucene4c project could certainly come up with at least one or two
things to work on.  Off the top of my head, I'd love a tool written to
automate some of the code generation for the glue between C and Java,
there's a lot of boilerplate stuff that could pretty easily be
generated.  Our unit tests could also stand a lot of work, and there's a
lot of work that could be done on extending the amount of the Java API
we cover.

-garrett

Re: Google's Summer of Code

Erik Hatcher