Hello - help a learner time

Justen Gill

Hiya,
Ive just downloaded version 2.0 and am trying to go through the demo.
Having followed the instructions to update class path etc, Im trying to run
the create Index piece and get
the following error:

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/apache/lucene/demo/IndexFiles
(Unsupported major.minor version 48.0)

Im using J2Sdk1.4.2_05
Any suggestions please?

many thanks

RB

Justen Gill
Hooster Ltd.

Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!

Re: Hello - help a learner time

Erik Hatcher
Do you have two versions of Lucene in your classpath?  If so, remove
the oldest one and stick to 2.0 JAR's only.

        Erik

On Aug 23, 2006, at 7:10 AM, Justen Gill wrote:

> Hiya,
> Ive just downloaded version 2.0 and am trying to go through the demo.
> Having followed the instructions to update class path etc, Im
> trying to run
> the create Index piece and get
> the following error:
>
> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/apache/lucene/demo/
> IndexFiles
> (Unsupported major.minor version 48.0)
>
> Im using J2Sdk1.4.2_05
> Any suggestions please?
>
> many thanks
>
> RB
>

> Justen Gill
> Hooster Ltd.

> Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!
> http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/

Re: Hello - help a learner time

Justen Gill
Hiya,
I only have one version of Lucene in my path.
cheers
RB

Are you perhaps mixing an older demo JAR and the newer Lucene JAR?
Just guessing at this point.  Perhaps you could provide us with more
details of how you're running IndexFiles.

        Erik

On Aug 23, 2006, at 8:44 AM, Justen Gill wrote:

> Hiya,
> I only have one version of Lucene in my path.
> cheers
> RB

Hi All,
got this working last night, seems the issue was an older jre installed by
Oracle.
Once this was out of the picture everything worked
many thanks

Searching without using a Lucene Index

Justen Gill
Hi,
can someone point me in the direction of any tips, code samples, doc on how
to use Lucene against a non Lucene Index? Basically we need to use bits of
functionality such as scoring the results, limiting to 10 at a time etc?
Im returning a Vector from my data source but not sure where to take it from
there....
Any help appreciated
thanks
Justen Gill
Hooster Ltd.

Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!

Re: Searching without using a Lucene Index

Erik Hatcher

On Aug 28, 2006, at 10:44 AM, Justen Gill wrote:
> can someone point me in the direction of any tips, code samples,
> doc on how
> to use Lucene against a non Lucene Index? Basically we need to use
> bits of
> functionality such as scoring the results, limiting to 10 at a time
> etc?
> Im returning a Vector from my data source but not sure where to
> take it from
> there....

Maybe indexing into a RAMDirectory (an in-memory Lucene index) would
be what you're after?

        Erik

Re: Searching without using a Lucene Index

Chris Hostetter-3

: Maybe indexing into a RAMDirectory (an in-memory Lucene index) would
: be what you're after?

there was also some discussion on the java-user list back in april about
writing a custom IndexReader implementation which could be provided to an
IndexSearcher using your own internal data store.  thread subject was
"Using Lucene for searching tokens, not storing them" started by Karl
Wettin

http://www.nabble.com/Using-Lucene-for-searching-tokens%2C-not-storing-them.-tf1450305.html

-Hoss