Help wanted

S R-4
Hello,

  I have just downloaded LUCENE. I am not an expert in Java. Could someone lead me in the first few steps..

  Thank you

Re: Help wanted

Yonik Seeley-2
On 9/19/06, S R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   I have just downloaded LUCENE. I am not an expert in Java. Could someone lead me in the first few steps..

The first few steps to what?
First, figure out if you want straight lucene-java, or another
application using lucene.

Lucene is a library that helps you write applications with full-text search.
Nutch uses Lucene, and adds web site crawlers and indexers, lets you
search the index, and is massively scalable (it's google-like)
Solr is a search server built on Lucene with a customizable schema,
highlighting, faceted browsing & web service-like interfaces (think
database, but full-text oriented).

So: web search => Nutch
      other search => Solr (no need for custom code)
      other, other search => Lucene (roll your own around Lucene)

-Yonik
http://incubator.apache.org/solr Solr, the open-source Lucene search server

Re: Help wanted

S R-4
Thanks Yonik for the reply.

  What I want is to to index a set of text documents (about 200 .txt  files) in windows invironment so I can search in them. What I am doing  is actually evaluating different search or indexing tools.

  Thank  you.

Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:  On 9/19/06, S R  wrote:
>   I have just downloaded LUCENE. I am not an expert in Java. Could someone lead me in the first few steps..

The first few steps to what?
First, figure out if you want straight lucene-java, or another
application using lucene.

Lucene is a library that helps you write applications with full-text search.
Nutch uses Lucene, and adds web site crawlers and indexers, lets you
search the index, and is massively scalable (it's google-like)
Solr is a search server built on Lucene with a customizable schema,
highlighting, faceted browsing & web service-like interfaces (think
database, but full-text oriented).

So: web search => Nutch
      other search => Solr (no need for custom code)
      other, other search => Lucene (roll your own around Lucene)

-Yonik
http://incubator.apache.org/solr Solr, the open-source Lucene search server

---------------------------------

Re: Help wanted

Simon Willnauer
Rather than writing some more introductions to lucene I just give you
a hand with google.

GoogleQuery: lucene java intro

http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2003/07/30/LuceneIntro.html

This should lead you to what you are looking for.

best regards simon

On 9/19/06, S R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Yonik for the reply.
>
>   What I want is to to index a set of text documents (about 200 .txt  files) in windows invironment so I can search in them. What I am doing  is actually evaluating different search or indexing tools.
>
>   Thank  you.
>

> Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:  On 9/19/06, S R  wrote:
> >   I have just downloaded LUCENE. I am not an expert in Java. Could someone lead me in the first few steps..
>
> The first few steps to what?
> First, figure out if you want straight lucene-java, or another
> application using lucene.
>
> Lucene is a library that helps you write applications with full-text search.
> Nutch uses Lucene, and adds web site crawlers and indexers, lets you
> search the index, and is massively scalable (it's google-like)
> Solr is a search server built on Lucene with a customizable schema,
> highlighting, faceted browsing & web service-like interfaces (think
> database, but full-text oriented).
>
> So: web search => Nutch
>       other search => Solr (no need for custom code)
>       other, other search => Lucene (roll your own around Lucene)
>
> -Yonik
> http://incubator.apache.org/solr Solr, the open-source Lucene search server

Re: Help wanted

Mark Miller-3
I'll one up you:

http://www.manning.com/hatcher2/

Might as well save yourself a whole lot of time and just buy the book.
If you're going to use Lucene it might as well be required.

Simon Willnauer wrote:

> Rather than writing some more introductions to lucene I just give you
> a hand with google.
>
> GoogleQuery: lucene java intro
>
> http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2003/07/30/LuceneIntro.html
>
> This should lead you to what you are looking for.
>
> best regards simon
>
> On 9/19/06, S R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks Yonik for the reply.
>>
>>   What I want is to to index a set of text documents (about 200 .txt
>> files) in windows invironment so I can search in them. What I am
>> doing  is actually evaluating different search or indexing tools.
>>
>>   Thank  you.
>>

>> Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:  On 9/19/06, S R  wrote:
>> >   I have just downloaded LUCENE. I am not an expert in Java. Could
>> someone lead me in the first few steps..
>>
>> The first few steps to what?
>> First, figure out if you want straight lucene-java, or another
>> application using lucene.
>>
>> Lucene is a library that helps you write applications with full-text
>> search.
>> Nutch uses Lucene, and adds web site crawlers and indexers, lets you
>> search the index, and is massively scalable (it's google-like)
>> Solr is a search server built on Lucene with a customizable schema,
>> highlighting, faceted browsing & web service-like interfaces (think
>> database, but full-text oriented).
>>
>> So: web search => Nutch
>>       other search => Solr (no need for custom code)
>>       other, other search => Lucene (roll your own around Lucene)
>>
>> -Yonik
>> http://incubator.apache.org/solr Solr, the open-source Lucene search
>> server

Re: Help wanted

Michael McCandless-2
Mark Miller wrote:
> I'll one up you:
>
> http://www.manning.com/hatcher2/
>
> Might as well save yourself a whole lot of time and just buy the book.
> If you're going to use Lucene it might as well be required.

There is also "Getting Started" on the Lucene web site:

   http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/gettingstarted.html

Mike

Re: Help wanted

steve_rowe
The Resources page on the Lucene Wiki has a collection of articles that
may be useful to you:

<http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/Resources>