Hit Highlighting: To store or not to store?

Hit Highlighting: To store or not to store?

Hugh Ross
We have a project with approximately 20,000 documents which require
searching with hit highlighting on the content. The content is of variable
size. My question is which option to take to support hit highlighting:

1. To store the content as a field in the lucene document and to highlight
hits from there.

2. To store the path to the document in the lucene document, open up the
document and then run hit highlighting.

Is there a "best-practice" for this?

Has anybody tried either of these approaches?

Are there any advantages or drawbacks of either approach?

Many thanks,

Hugh

Re: Hit Highlighting: To store or not to store?

Erik Hatcher
Hugh,

Both approaches are certainly in use in various projects.  I
typically opt for option #1, but that is because it is feasible
giving the data I work with, and how it is managed.

However, the decision is really based on the size of the text to be
highlighted and whether it makes sense to store it or just access it
on the fly.

        Erik