How different is solr 4.7 from latest version.

How different is solr 4.7 from latest version.

SriniSampath
Hi,

I am reading a book (Solr in action
<https://www.amazon.in/Solr-Action-Trey-Grainger/dp/1617291021>) to
understand how to work with different features in solr. It uses solr 4.7 to
explain features. But I don't find any better material (IMHO, documentation
has many looped references which makes it too difficult to understand for a
newbie).

Does it cover all the features related to new version (like important
features) or is it better to follow some other resource?

.Best,
Srini Sampath.

Re: How different is solr 4.7 from latest version.

Shawn Heisey-2
On 1/12/2018 5:58 AM, srini sampath wrote:
> I am reading a book (Solr in action
> <https://www.amazon.in/Solr-Action-Trey-Grainger/dp/1617291021>) to
> understand how to work with different features in solr. It uses solr 4.7 to
> explain features. But I don't find any better material (IMHO, documentation
> has many looped references which makes it too difficult to understand for a
> newbie).
>
> Does it cover all the features related to new version (like important
> features) or is it better to follow some other resource?

The latest version is 7.2, and the 7.2.1 release is being finalized now.

That's three major versions newer.  Most of the info in that book will
still be relevant, but there is quite a bit of new functionality.

Here's the reference guide that is published as official documentation.
You can download this as a PDF using the "Other Formats" link at the top
of the page:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_2/

Full disclosure: There isn't very much available for extreme beginners.
This lack is something the project is aware of, but writing
documentation for the uninitiated is a difficult task.  The reference
guide isn't awful, but it could be a lot better.

For differences between versions, there is the CHANGES.txt file included
in every download.  The reference guide also has a section about big
differences from the previous major version.

Thanks,
Shawn

RE: How different is solr 4.7 from latest version.

Joe Heasly
Srini,

We upgraded from Solr 4.6 to 6.4 last summer.  There are fundamental differences between those versions in the way the default Boolean operator and 'minimum should match' functions interact.  Here's an excellent discussion of the change here (Jason Hellman does it more justice than I could hope to):

http://blog.innoventsolutions.com/innovent-solutions-blog/2017/02/solr-edismax-boolean-query.html

If you're just starting out and you're starting with a recent version, this won't matter.  But if you're upgrading, it's critical to be aware.

Regards,
Joe

{ Joe Heasly | L.L.Bean, Inc. | [O] 207 552-2254 [M] 207 756-9250 }

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lucene.apache.org_solr_guide_7-5F2_&d=DwICaQ&c=uC6H3HqR7J0hkleXqZF0oA&r=LGfOV9gkzZFmyXgI5jYqo5FeO_fORxZZyF8winHfJ8s&m=xoJLS_ZP0u4l7PAGZslEYaLCEBqnoJfoXeneaibCb-8&s=ISiRaa2CCBrg1Y3ElGGY8_I0fCvSGGKiJGjU8TcsAas&e=

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: How different is solr 4.7 from latest version.

SriniSampath
Thanks Joe and Shawn.
This is very useful information.
@Joe, I need to upgrade and use synonym support of support. So I think I
should better start with latest version.

.Best,
Srini Sampath.

.Best,
Srini Sampath