How to determine the user Solr is using

Iridian Group
How do I determine which user the Solr server starts up with and is running under?

Thanks

Keith Savoie

Re: How to determine the user Solr is using

Susheel Kumar-3
The first column is the UID/user column as output of ps -ef on linux
machines...

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Iridian Group <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> How do I determine which user the Solr server starts up with and is
> running under?
>
> Thanks
>
> Keith Savoie

Re: How to determine the user Solr is using

Iridian Group
OK thanks, got it.
So the user the server runs under is ‘Solr’.
However when I stop the server and switch to the Solr user and try to start, I get an error stating that I can’t write to the log files due to permissions.
All of this Solr installs permissions are root:root.

1) If I can’t manually start the server as user Solr, shouldn’t the service also not start on boot?
2) Are the permissions of the Solr instance supposed to be something other than root:root?

Apologies for all the 101 questions.

Thanks

Keith

> On Jul 14, 2017, at 1:14 PM, Susheel Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The first column is the UID/user column as output of ps -ef on linux
> machines...
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Iridian Group <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> How do I determine which user the Solr server starts up with and is
>> running under?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Keith Savoie

Re: How to determine the user Solr is using

Susheel Kumar-3
If you setup solr using install_service which comes with solr, it sets up
solr running as "solr" user.  Solr is not recommended to run as root user
due to security concerns. You either launch solr as
service solr start or /etc/init.d/solr start

Answer to
1) Yes, you can configure solr service to start at boot using linux commands
2) The data/index directory should be owned/writable for Solr user in order
for solr process to be able to write etc.

HTH.

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Iridian Group <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> OK thanks, got it.
> So the user the server runs under is ‘Solr’.
> However when I stop the server and switch to the Solr user and try to
> start, I get an error stating that I can’t write to the log files due to
> permissions.
> All of this Solr installs permissions are root:root.
>
> 1) If I can’t manually start the server as user Solr, shouldn’t the
> service also not start on boot?
> 2) Are the permissions of the Solr instance supposed to be something other
> than root:root?
>
> Apologies for all the 101 questions.
>

> Thanks
>
> Keith
>

> > On Jul 14, 2017, at 1:14 PM, Susheel Kumar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > The first column is the UID/user column as output of ps -ef on linux
> > machines...
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Iridian Group <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> How do I determine which user the Solr server starts up with and is
> >> running under?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Keith Savoie

Re: How to determine the user Solr is using

Susheel Kumar-3
It should be 2) solr:solr

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Susheel Kumar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> If you setup solr using install_service which comes with solr, it sets up
> solr running as "solr" user.  Solr is not recommended to run as root user
> due to security concerns. You either launch solr as
> service solr start or /etc/init.d/solr start
>
> Answer to
> 1) Yes, you can configure solr service to start at boot using linux
> commands
> 2) The data/index directory should be owned/writable for Solr user in
> order for solr process to be able to write etc.
>
> HTH.
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Iridian Group <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> OK thanks, got it.
>> So the user the server runs under is ‘Solr’.
>> However when I stop the server and switch to the Solr user and try to
>> start, I get an error stating that I can’t write to the log files due to
>> permissions.
>> All of this Solr installs permissions are root:root.
>>
>> 1) If I can’t manually start the server as user Solr, shouldn’t the
>> service also not start on boot?
>> 2) Are the permissions of the Solr instance supposed to be something
>> other than root:root?
>>
>> Apologies for all the 101 questions.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Keith
>>

>> > On Jul 14, 2017, at 1:14 PM, Susheel Kumar <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > The first column is the UID/user column as output of ps -ef on linux
>> > machines...
>> >
>> > On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Iridian Group <
>> [hidden email]>

Re: How to determine the user Solr is using

Iridian Group
Ok one last question just so I’m clear

> It should be 2) solr:solr

As my install is running as a service, everything under /opt/solr should be solr:sold? Currently root:root but seems to be working correctly.
My /var/solr is already solr:solr.

> On Jul 14, 2017, at 2:19 PM, Susheel Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It should be 2) solr:solr
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Susheel Kumar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> If you setup solr using install_service which comes with solr, it sets up
>> solr running as "solr" user.  Solr is not recommended to run as root user
>> due to security concerns. You either launch solr as
>> service solr start or /etc/init.d/solr start
>>
>> Answer to
>> 1) Yes, you can configure solr service to start at boot using linux
>> commands
>> 2) The data/index directory should be owned/writable for Solr user in
>> order for solr process to be able to write etc.
>>
>> HTH.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Iridian Group <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> OK thanks, got it.
>>> So the user the server runs under is ‘Solr’.
>>> However when I stop the server and switch to the Solr user and try to
>>> start, I get an error stating that I can’t write to the log files due to
>>> permissions.
>>> All of this Solr installs permissions are root:root.
>>>
>>> 1) If I can’t manually start the server as user Solr, shouldn’t the
>>> service also not start on boot?
>>> 2) Are the permissions of the Solr instance supposed to be something
>>> other than root:root?
>>>
>>> Apologies for all the 101 questions.
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Keith

>>> [hidden email]>

Re: How to determine the user Solr is using

Susheel Kumar-3
Looks like you are all good. The opt/solr is  okay to be root:root.  The
directory where solr keeps data/index is what needs to be solr:solr and run
as solr user.