Index term list - using facets ?

Paul Terray
Hi,

I think I am close to have a list of index terms, using facet searching.
However, I still have a question: I would like to limit the terms to a
query. My goal is to do a simple google suggest type of search (with just
one term), so I have to limit the terms to the first letters typed. Of
course, I can filter the facet results to get this, but it seems there
should be a better solution.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Terray

Consultant Avant-Vente

SOLLAN

27, bis rue du Progr├Ęs
93100 Montreuil - France
Tel :  +33 (0)1 48 51 15 44
Fax : +33 (0)1 48 51 15 48
 <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]
 <http://www.sollan.com> www.sollan.com

STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL. This email may contain confidential and
proprietary material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review
or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.

 <http://www.sollan.com/signature_mail/lien_signature.php> SOLLAN

Re: Index term list - using facets ?

Yonik Seeley-2
On 9/15/06, Paul Terray <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think I am close to have a list of index terms, using facet searching.
> However, I still have a question: I would like to limit the terms to a
> query. My goal is to do a simple google suggest type of search (with just
> one term), so I have to limit the terms to the first letters typed. Of
> course, I can filter the facet results to get this, but it seems there
> should be a better solution.

So instead of documents matching field:foo* you want the actual terms
matching field:foo*
I think exposing lower level info from an index like this can make
sense, but it's not currently supported.

It might be nice to have a syntax to support it rather than
continually adding more query args though.

Some info that might make sense to "export":
- terms matching prefix, wildcard, fuzzy, range, etc
- docfreq of terms & number of docs in index

Re: Index term list - using facets ?

Yonik Seeley-2

> On 9/15/06, Paul Terray <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think I am close to have a list of index terms, using facet searching.
> > However, I still have a question: I would like to limit the terms to a
> > query. My goal is to do a simple google suggest type of search (with just
> > one term), so I have to limit the terms to the first letters typed. Of
> > course, I can filter the facet results to get this, but it seems there
> > should be a better solution.
>
> So instead of documents matching field:foo* you want the actual terms
> matching field:foo*
> I think exposing lower level info from an index like this can make
> sense, but it's not currently supported.

Oh, I think you can get what you want via
q=myfield:foo*&facet=on&facet.field=myfield&facet.zeros=false

It's a roundabout way of getting the info and is likely to be slow if
your index is large.

Re: Index term list - using facets ?

Paul Terray
You got my problem right. I had seen your solution (which works), and just wanted to know if there is a better one. This one allow me to get the nb of hits, which is also what I want.

The only drawback is that I have to filter the returnrd facet field on the first letters myself. No big deal, but it needs some resources. I will use this for a prototype, and try a better approach if we go further on the project.

Thanks !

Paul Terray - Consultant Avant-Vente
SOLLAN
Tel : +33 (0)1 48 51 15 44