Index time boosting

Venkateswarlu Bommineni
Hello Guys,

I would like to understand how index time boosting works in Solr. and how
it is relates to ommitNorms property in schema.xml.

and i am trying to understand how it works internally , if you have any
documentation please provide.

Thanks,
Venkat.

Re: Index time boosting

Amrit Sarkar
Hi Venkat,

FYI: Index time boosting has been deprecated from latest versions of Solr:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6819.

Not sure which version you are on, but best consider the comments on the
JIRA before using it.

Amrit Sarkar
Search Engineer
Lucidworks, Inc.
415-589-9269
www.lucidworks.com
Twitter http://twitter.com/lucidworks
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarkaramrit2
Medium: https://medium.com/@sarkaramrit2

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Venkateswarlu Bommineni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>
> I would like to understand how index time boosting works in Solr. and how
> it is relates to ommitNorms property in schema.xml.
>
> and i am trying to understand how it works internally , if you have any
> documentation please provide.
>
> Thanks,
> Venkat.

Re: Index time boosting

Venkateswarlu Bommineni
Thanks for the reply Amit.

I have Solr 6.6 source code and I can still see the code which sets the
index level boost value.

If the class name is handy for you , could you please tell me where we will
calculate the score of a document. so that i can just go through the code.

Thanks,
Venkat.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Amrit Sarkar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Venkat,
>
> FYI: Index time boosting has been deprecated from latest versions of Solr:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6819.
>
> Not sure which version you are on, but best consider the comments on the
> JIRA before using it.
>
> Amrit Sarkar
> Search Engineer
> Lucidworks, Inc.
> 415-589-9269
> www.lucidworks.com
> Twitter http://twitter.com/lucidworks
> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarkaramrit2
> Medium: https://medium.com/@sarkaramrit2
>
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Venkateswarlu Bommineni <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Hello Guys,
> >
> > I would like to understand how index time boosting works in Solr. and how
> > it is relates to ommitNorms property in schema.xml.
> >
> > and i am trying to understand how it works internally , if you have any
> > documentation please provide.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Venkat.

Re: Index time boosting

Erick Erickson
Do not use index time boosting, please. When something is deprecated,
the usual process is that that functionality is supported for one
major version after deprecation, then the devs are free to remove it.
Index time boosting is not supported in 7.0 even though it is in 6x,
from CHANGES.txt, the 7.0 section

Index-time boosts are not supported anymore. If any boosts are
provided, they  will be ignored by the indexing chain

So any work you put in to this will have to be re-done the first time
you upgrade.

As for what class calculates the score, it's complicated ;). It's
often easiest to add &debug=true&debug.explain.structured=true to your
query and you'll see how the score is calculated.

Best,
Erick