Installation woes

Andrew Nagy-2
Hello, I am trying to install another copy of solr on a server.  I have
done this many times before, but am running into errors now and I am not
sure what is causing them.

I unzipped a copy of 1.1.0 and placed the .war file into tomcat.  Then I
created the solr directory with my bin, data, conf directories.
When I restart tomcat (from the solr directory) and go to the Solr admin
website everything looks fine.  But, when I pull up the statistics page,
I only have information in the Query Handlers box, the rest are empty.
When I click on ping, I see a 500 error from tomcat.

What am I forgetting to do?

Thanks
Andrew

Re: Installation woes

Yonik Seeley-2
On 3/7/07, Andrew Nagy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, I am trying to install another copy of solr on a server.  I have
> done this many times before, but am running into errors now and I am not
> sure what is causing them.
>
> I unzipped a copy of 1.1.0 and placed the .war file into tomcat.  Then I
> created the solr directory with my bin, data, conf directories.
> When I restart tomcat (from the solr directory) and go to the Solr admin
> website everything looks fine.  But, when I pull up the statistics page,
> I only have information in the Query Handlers box, the rest are empty.
> When I click on ping, I see a 500 error from tomcat.
>
> What am I forgetting to do?

Did you point solr to the solr_home (containing your bin, data, and
conf directories)?
Or do you rely on the default of $CWD/solr?

If that's not it, check all the tomcat log files for the first
exception you see.

RE: Installation woes

pbinkley
I had a problem like that when I blew away an index by deleting the
index directory instead of its parent the data directory; it seemed that
if Solr saw the data directory, it assumed the index was there. Removing
the data directory and letting Solr create it seemed to fix the problem.
(Or maybe something else got fixed at the same time, hard to say).

Peter

Thanks
Andrew

Re: Installation woes

Andrew Nagy-2
Argh!  Thanks Yonik for pointing out the log files, duh!  I had a
malformed line in my schema.xml.  Nice feature to add down the line,
although I know there is a lot of work going into the admin interface so
who knows if it is already thought of.  Schema Debugger?  Maybe one day
I will dig into the code guts and try to contribute.

Andrew

Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On 3/7/07, Andrew Nagy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello, I am trying to install another copy of solr on a server.  I have
>> done this many times before, but am running into errors now and I am not
>> sure what is causing them.
>>
>> I unzipped a copy of 1.1.0 and placed the .war file into tomcat.  Then I
>> created the solr directory with my bin, data, conf directories.
>> When I restart tomcat (from the solr directory) and go to the Solr admin
>> website everything looks fine.  But, when I pull up the statistics page,
>> I only have information in the Query Handlers box, the rest are empty.
>> When I click on ping, I see a 500 error from tomcat.
>>
>> What am I forgetting to do?
>
> Did you point solr to the solr_home (containing your bin, data, and
> conf directories)?
> Or do you rely on the default of $CWD/solr?
>
> If that's not it, check all the tomcat log files for the first
> exception you see.
>
> -Yonik

Re: Installation woes

Ryan McKinley
On 3/7/07, Andrew Nagy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Argh!  Thanks Yonik for pointing out the log files, duh!  I had a
> malformed line in my schema.xml.  Nice feature to add down the line,
> although I know there is a lot of work going into the admin interface so
> who knows if it is already thought of.  Schema Debugger?  Maybe one day
> I will dig into the code guts and try to contribute.

I recently posted:

It stops everything and displays the errors on every url if there are
configuration errors.