Integrating Lucene with Cayenne

Andrus Adamchik-4
Hi,

I've been thinking for some time about integrating Cayenne ORM engine
with Lucene to provide database full text search capability that is
db-agnostic and works off of the Cayenne metadata. Now with the
Summer of Code approaching [1], this seems like a good idea of a
student project.

As I have next to zero experience with Lucene, I figured I'd ask for
advice from the community. More specifically what I have in mind is
an ORM query that does a full text search across a predefined
combination of object properties, first looking in the Lucene index
for matching object ids, and then fetching those objects with Cayenne.

Basically I am trying to understand whether such idea has merit (i.e.
am I reinventing the wheel? Or is this something too trivial to even
bother with integration?)

Thanks
Andrus

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2006

------------------------------
Andrus (aka Andrei) Adamchik
Cayenne Persistence Framework
Creator, Committer
http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cayenne.html

Re: Integrating Lucene with Cayenne

Karl Wettin-3

18 apr 2006 kl. 11.11 skrev Andrus Adamchik:

> I've been thinking for some time about integrating Cayenne ORM
> engine with Lucene to provide database full text search capability
> that is db-agnostic and works off of the Cayenne metadata. Now with
> the Summer of Code approaching [1], this seems like a good idea of
> a student project.
>
> As I have next to zero experience with Lucene, I figured I'd ask
> for advice from the community. More specifically what I have in
> mind is an ORM query that does a full text search across a
> predefined combination of object properties, first looking in the
> Lucene index for matching object ids, and then fetching those
> objects with Cayenne.
>
> Basically I am trying to understand whether such idea has merit
> (i.e. am I reinventing the wheel? Or is this something too trivial
> to even bother with integration?)

I know nothing about Cayenne, but take a look at what Compass does.

<http://www.opensymphony.com/compass/content/about.html>

Re: Integrating Lucene with Cayenne

Andrus Adamchik-4
Thanks, interesting... Certainly writing it from scratch doesn't look
trivial. Since Compass supports integration with many other ORMs, I
guess we may concentrate on writing a Compass Device for Cayenne then.

Andrus