Inverted index and forward index in Solr shrading

Inverted index and forward index in Solr shrading

Rajdeep Sahoo
Can any explain me what is inverted index and forward index used in solr
shrading . Is there any resource from where I can find some knowledge about
this.

Re: Inverted index and forward index in Solr shrading

Shawn Heisey-2
On 1/8/2019 10:34 AM, Rajdeep Sahoo wrote:
> Can any explain me what is inverted index and forward index used in solr
> shrading . Is there any resource from where I can find some knowledge about
> this.

Most of Solr's functionality is provided by Lucene, which is a
Java-based programming API that provides full-text search.

https://lucene.apache.org/core/
https://lucene.apache.org/core/7_6_0/index.html

The inverted index is the central feature of Lucene, where most of its
capability starts.

I've never heard of a forward index.  The closest things I can think of
that might satisfy that terminology are either stored fields or DocValues.

If you want in-depth information about Lucene, you may find better
answers on the mailing list for that product than this mailing list.

https://lucene.apache.org/core/discussion.html

To answer a later message where you asked about the source code:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute

Note that when you get the source code for Solr, you are also getting
all the source code for Lucene.  Both projects share the same codebase.

Thanks,
Shawn