Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi,

I am using grouping and LTR together and the results are not getting
re-rank as it does without grouping.

I am passing &rq parameter.

Does LTR work with grouping on?
Solr version 6.5

Thank you,
Roopa

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Diego Ceccarelli
Hi Roopa,

LTR is implemented using RankQuery, and at the moment grouping doens't
support RankQuery.
I opened a jira item time ago
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8776) and I would be happy
to receive feedback on that.  You can find the code here
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162.

Cheers,
diego

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using grouping and LTR together and the results are not getting
> re-rank as it does without grouping.
>
> I am passing &rq parameter.
>
> Does LTR work with grouping on?
> Solr version 6.5
>
> Thank you,
> Roopa

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi Diego,

Thank you, I will look into this and see how I could patch this.

Thank you for your quick response,
Roopa

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi Roopa,
>
> LTR is implemented using RankQuery, and at the moment grouping doens't
> support RankQuery.
> I opened a jira item time ago
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8776) and I would be happy
> to receive feedback on that.  You can find the code here
> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162.
>
> Cheers,
> diego
>
> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using grouping and LTR together and the results are not getting
> > re-rank as it does without grouping.
> >
> > I am passing &rq parameter.
> >
> > Does LTR work with grouping on?
> > Solr version 6.5
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Roopa

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi I tried to apply this JIRA SOLR-8776 as a patch as this feature is
critical.

Here are the steps I took on my mac:

On branch branch_6_5

Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/branch_6_5'

patch -p1 -i 162.patch --dry-run

I am getting Failures for certain Hunks

Example:

patching file
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/search/SolrIndexSearcher.java

Hunk #1 FAILED at 1471.

Could you please give your input on how to apply this ticket as a patch for
branch_6_5 ?

Thank you,

Roopa

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Diego,
>
> Thank you, I will look into this and see how I could patch this.
>
> Thank you for your quick response,
> Roopa
>

> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roopa,
>>
>> LTR is implemented using RankQuery, and at the moment grouping doens't
>> support RankQuery.
>> I opened a jira item time ago
>> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8776) and I would be happy
>> to receive feedback on that.  You can find the code here
>> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> diego
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am using grouping and LTR together and the results are not getting
>> > re-rank as it does without grouping.
>> >
>> > I am passing &rq parameter.
>> >
>> > Does LTR work with grouping on?
>> > Solr version 6.5
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Roopa

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Diego Ceccarelli (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)
Hi Roopa,

If you look at the diff:

https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162/files

I didn't change much in SolrIndexSearcher, you can try to skip the file when applying the patch and redo the changes after.

Alternatively, the feature branch is available here:

https://github.com/bloomberg/lucene-solr/commits/master-solr-8776

you could try to merge with that or cheery-pick my changes.

Are you interested in reranking the groups or also in reranking the documents inside each group?

Cheers,
Diego

From: [hidden email] At: 12/09/17 19:07:25To:  [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Hi I tried to apply this JIRA SOLR-8776 as a patch as this feature is
critical.

Here are the steps I took on my mac:

On branch branch_6_5

Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/branch_6_5'

patch -p1 -i 162.patch --dry-run

I am getting Failures for certain Hunks

Example:

patching file
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/search/SolrIndexSearcher.java

Hunk #1 FAILED at 1471.

Could you please give your input on how to apply this ticket as a patch for
branch_6_5 ?

Thank you,

Roopa

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Diego,
>
> Thank you, I will look into this and see how I could patch this.
>
> Thank you for your quick response,
> Roopa
>

> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roopa,
>>
>> LTR is implemented using RankQuery, and at the moment grouping doens't
>> support RankQuery.
>> I opened a jira item time ago
>> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8776) and I would be happy
>> to receive feedback on that.  You can find the code here
>> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> diego
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am using grouping and LTR together and the results are not getting
>> > re-rank as it does without grouping.
>> >
>> > I am passing &rq parameter.
>> >
>> > Does LTR work with grouping on?
>> > Solr version 6.5
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Roopa

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi Diego,

Thank you,

I am interested in reranking the documents inside one of the groups.

I will try the options you mentioned here.

Thank you,
Roopa

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 6:57 AM, Diego Ceccarelli (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Roopa,
>
> If you look at the diff:
>
> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162/files
>
> I didn't change much in SolrIndexSearcher, you can try to skip the file
> when applying the patch and redo the changes after.
>
> Alternatively, the feature branch is available here:
>
> https://github.com/bloomberg/lucene-solr/commits/master-solr-8776
>
> you could try to merge with that or cheery-pick my changes.
>
> Are you interested in reranking the groups or also in reranking the
> documents inside each group?
>
> Cheers,
> Diego
>

> From: [hidden email] At: 12/09/17 19:07:25To:
> [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping
>
> Hi I tried to apply this JIRA SOLR-8776 as a patch as this feature is
> critical.
>
> Here are the steps I took on my mac:
>
> On branch branch_6_5
>
> Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/branch_6_5'
>
> patch -p1 -i 162.patch --dry-run
>

> I am getting Failures for certain Hunks
>
> Example:
>
> patching file
> solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/search/SolrIndexSearcher.java
>
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 1471.
>

> Could you please give your input on how to apply this ticket as a patch for
> branch_6_5 ?
>

> Thank you,
>
> Roopa
>
> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Diego,
> >
> > Thank you, I will look into this and see how I could patch this.
> >
> > Thank you for your quick response,
> > Roopa
> >

> > On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Roopa,
> >>
> >> LTR is implemented using RankQuery, and at the moment grouping doens't
> >> support RankQuery.
> >> I opened a jira item time ago
> >> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8776) and I would be happy
> >> to receive feedback on that.  You can find the code here
> >> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> diego

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi -

I merged the code from the bloomberg master-solr-8776 branch to branch_6_6 on Solr.

When I tried to compile the solr source code, I am getting multiple compilation errors (Attached), which seems to be due to the fact that the branch master-solr-8776 may not be compatible with branch_6_6.

Could you please provide your input if master-solr-8776 is compatible with branch_6_6?

If this is not the case then how to proceed with using fix in master-solr-8776 with branch_6_6 can a new patch be created for this?

Thank you,
Roopa

From: [hidden email] At: 12/09/17 19:07:25To:  [hidden email]

compilationerr.txt (32K) Download Attachment

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Diego Ceccarelli
Hi Roopa, unfortunately I can't port the patch to the branch_6_6, but
soon I'll update to upstream. Sorry about that.

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I merged the code from the bloomberg master-solr-8776 branch to branch_6_6
> on Solr.
>
> When I tried to compile the solr source code, I am getting multiple
> compilation errors (Attached), which seems to be due to the fact that the
> branch master-solr-8776 may not be compatible with branch_6_6.
>
> Could you please provide your input if master-solr-8776 is compatible with
> branch_6_6?
>
> If this is not the case then how to proceed with using fix in
> master-solr-8776 with branch_6_6 can a new patch be created for this?
>
> Thank you,
> Roopa
>
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Diego,
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> I am interested in reranking the documents inside one of the groups.
>>
>> I will try the options you mentioned here.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Roopa
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 6:57 AM, Diego Ceccarelli (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Roopa,
>>>
>>> If you look at the diff:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162/files
>>>
>>> I didn't change much in SolrIndexSearcher, you can try to skip the file
>>> when applying the patch and redo the changes after.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, the feature branch is available here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/bloomberg/lucene-solr/commits/master-solr-8776
>>>
>>> you could try to merge with that or cheery-pick my changes.
>>>
>>> Are you interested in reranking the groups or also in reranking the
>>> documents inside each group?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Diego
>>>

>>> From: [hidden email] At: 12/09/17 19:07:25To:
>>> [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping
>>>
>>> Hi I tried to apply this JIRA SOLR-8776 as a patch as this feature is
>>> critical.
>>>
>>> Here are the steps I took on my mac:
>>>
>>> On branch branch_6_5
>>>
>>> Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/branch_6_5'
>>>
>>> patch -p1 -i 162.patch --dry-run
>>>

>>> I am getting Failures for certain Hunks
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> patching file
>>> solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/search/SolrIndexSearcher.java
>>>
>>> Hunk #1 FAILED at 1471.
>>>

>>> Could you please give your input on how to apply this ticket as a patch
>>> for
>>> branch_6_5 ?
>>>

>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Roopa

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi Diego,

Thank you for looking into it further.
We recently ported over to 6.6 version solely to use LTR feature as it is
critical for us.

Since its not working with grouping in the base version, I am trying to
evaluate if there is any alternative way to make it work in 6.6 versus
upgrading to 7.0.

Any guidance you could provide on what can be done to use 6.6 with grouping
+ LTR or any alternatives would be helpful. Do I read your response as
needing to go to 7.0 when you say upstream?

Thank you,
Roopa

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Roopa, unfortunately I can't port the patch to the branch_6_6, but
> soon I'll update to upstream. Sorry about that.
>
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > I merged the code from the bloomberg master-solr-8776 branch to
> branch_6_6
> > on Solr.
> >
> > When I tried to compile the solr source code, I am getting multiple
> > compilation errors (Attached), which seems to be due to the fact that the
> > branch master-solr-8776 may not be compatible with branch_6_6.
> >
> > Could you please provide your input if master-solr-8776 is compatible
> with
> > branch_6_6?
> >
> > If this is not the case then how to proceed with using fix in
> > master-solr-8776 with branch_6_6 can a new patch be created for this?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Roopa
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Diego,
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >>
> >> I am interested in reranking the documents inside one of the groups.
> >>
> >> I will try the options you mentioned here.
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Roopa

> doens't
> happy

> getting

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi,

Any guidance on this would be helpful.

Thank you,
Roopa

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 8:47 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Diego,
>
> Thank you for looking into it further.
> We recently ported over to 6.6 version solely to use LTR feature as it is
> critical for us.
>
> Since its not working with grouping in the base version, I am trying to
> evaluate if there is any alternative way to make it work in 6.6 versus
> upgrading to 7.0.
>
> Any guidance you could provide on what can be done to use 6.6 with
> grouping + LTR or any alternatives would be helpful. Do I read your
> response as needing to go to 7.0 when you say upstream?
>
> Thank you,
> Roopa
>

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roopa, unfortunately I can't port the patch to the branch_6_6, but
>> soon I'll update to upstream. Sorry about that.
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi -
>> >
>> > I merged the code from the bloomberg master-solr-8776 branch to
>> branch_6_6
>> > on Solr.
>> >
>> > When I tried to compile the solr source code, I am getting multiple
>> > compilation errors (Attached), which seems to be due to the fact that
>> the
>> > branch master-solr-8776 may not be compatible with branch_6_6.
>> >
>> > Could you please provide your input if master-solr-8776 is compatible
>> with
>> > branch_6_6?
>> >
>> > If this is not the case then how to proceed with using fix in
>> > master-solr-8776 with branch_6_6 can a new patch be created for this?
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Roopa

>> file

>> patch

>> doens't
>> happy

>> getting

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Solution that I implemented currently is:
Since we have a web application which takes the solr results and display in
the UI and I need LTR enabled for only one of the group,
I am executing two parallel queries to Solr from web app.
1st query Get grouped results without LTR
2nd query Get results with no grouping + LTR
Merge 1) & 2) in web app.
Doing a performance test now. Since there are only 10 results for these
queries and the queries are executed in parallel, I don't foresee any
problems.

Thanks!
Roopa

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any guidance on this would be helpful.
>
> Thank you,
> Roopa
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 8:47 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Diego,
>>
>> Thank you for looking into it further.
>> We recently ported over to 6.6 version solely to use LTR feature as it is
>> critical for us.
>>
>> Since its not working with grouping in the base version, I am trying to
>> evaluate if there is any alternative way to make it work in 6.6 versus
>> upgrading to 7.0.
>>
>> Any guidance you could provide on what can be done to use 6.6 with
>> grouping + LTR or any alternatives would be helpful. Do I read your
>> response as needing to go to 7.0 when you say upstream?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Roopa
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Roopa, unfortunately I can't port the patch to the branch_6_6, but
>>> soon I'll update to upstream. Sorry about that.

>>> branch_6_6

>>> the

>>> with

>>> file

>>> patch

>>> doens't
>>> happy

>>> getting

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Diego Ceccarelli (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)
Roopa, did you try collapsing instead of grouping? it would work with ltr..

From: [hidden email] At: 01/11/18 16:48:26To:  [hidden email]

Solution that I implemented currently is:
Since we have a web application which takes the solr results and display in
the UI and I need LTR enabled for only one of the group,
I am executing two parallel queries to Solr from web app.
1st query Get grouped results without LTR
2nd query Get results with no grouping + LTR
Merge 1) & 2) in web app.
Doing a performance test now. Since there are only 10 results for these
queries and the queries are executed in parallel, I don't foresee any
problems.

Thanks!
Roopa

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any guidance on this would be helpful.
>
> Thank you,
> Roopa
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 8:47 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Diego,
>>
>> Thank you for looking into it further.
>> We recently ported over to 6.6 version solely to use LTR feature as it is
>> critical for us.
>>
>> Since its not working with grouping in the base version, I am trying to
>> evaluate if there is any alternative way to make it work in 6.6 versus
>> upgrading to 7.0.
>>
>> Any guidance you could provide on what can be done to use 6.6 with
>> grouping + LTR or any alternatives would be helpful. Do I read your
>> response as needing to go to 7.0 when you say upstream?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Roopa
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Roopa, unfortunately I can't port the patch to the branch_6_6, but
>>> soon I'll update to upstream. Sorry about that.

>>> branch_6_6

>>> the

>>> with

>>> file

>>> patch

>>> doens't
>>> happy

>>> getting

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi Diego,

I tried collapsing, unfortunately we are using a third party tool for Query
processing, that does not support collapsing. Hence I am unable to go that
route.

Thank you,
Roopa