Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

12

Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi,

I am using grouping and LTR together and the results are not getting
re-rank as it does without grouping.

I am passing &rq parameter.

Does LTR work with grouping on?
Solr version 6.5

Thank you,
Roopa

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Diego Ceccarelli
Hi Roopa,

LTR is implemented using RankQuery, and at the moment grouping doens't
support RankQuery.
I opened a jira item time ago
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8776) and I would be happy
to receive feedback on that.  You can find the code here
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162.

Cheers,
diego

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using grouping and LTR together and the results are not getting
> re-rank as it does without grouping.
>
> I am passing &rq parameter.
>
> Does LTR work with grouping on?
> Solr version 6.5
>
> Thank you,
> Roopa

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi Diego,

Thank you, I will look into this and see how I could patch this.

Thank you for your quick response,
Roopa

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi Roopa,
>
> LTR is implemented using RankQuery, and at the moment grouping doens't
> support RankQuery.
> I opened a jira item time ago
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8776) and I would be happy
> to receive feedback on that.  You can find the code here
> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162.
>
> Cheers,
> diego
>
> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using grouping and LTR together and the results are not getting
> > re-rank as it does without grouping.
> >
> > I am passing &rq parameter.
> >
> > Does LTR work with grouping on?
> > Solr version 6.5
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Roopa

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi I tried to apply this JIRA SOLR-8776 as a patch as this feature is
critical.

Here are the steps I took on my mac:

On branch branch_6_5

Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/branch_6_5'

patch -p1 -i 162.patch --dry-run

I am getting Failures for certain Hunks

Example:

patching file
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/search/SolrIndexSearcher.java

Hunk #1 FAILED at 1471.

Could you please give your input on how to apply this ticket as a patch for
branch_6_5 ?

Thank you,

Roopa

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Diego,
>
> Thank you, I will look into this and see how I could patch this.
>
> Thank you for your quick response,
> Roopa
>

> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roopa,
>>
>> LTR is implemented using RankQuery, and at the moment grouping doens't
>> support RankQuery.
>> I opened a jira item time ago
>> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8776) and I would be happy
>> to receive feedback on that.  You can find the code here
>> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> diego
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am using grouping and LTR together and the results are not getting
>> > re-rank as it does without grouping.
>> >
>> > I am passing &rq parameter.
>> >
>> > Does LTR work with grouping on?
>> > Solr version 6.5
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Roopa

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Diego Ceccarelli (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)
Hi Roopa,

If you look at the diff:

https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162/files

I didn't change much in SolrIndexSearcher, you can try to skip the file when applying the patch and redo the changes after.

Alternatively, the feature branch is available here:

https://github.com/bloomberg/lucene-solr/commits/master-solr-8776

you could try to merge with that or cheery-pick my changes.

Are you interested in reranking the groups or also in reranking the documents inside each group?

Cheers,
Diego

From: [hidden email] At: 12/09/17 19:07:25To:  [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Hi I tried to apply this JIRA SOLR-8776 as a patch as this feature is
critical.

Here are the steps I took on my mac:

On branch branch_6_5

Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/branch_6_5'

patch -p1 -i 162.patch --dry-run

I am getting Failures for certain Hunks

Example:

patching file
solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/search/SolrIndexSearcher.java

Hunk #1 FAILED at 1471.

Could you please give your input on how to apply this ticket as a patch for
branch_6_5 ?

Thank you,

Roopa

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Diego,
>
> Thank you, I will look into this and see how I could patch this.
>
> Thank you for your quick response,
> Roopa
>

> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roopa,
>>
>> LTR is implemented using RankQuery, and at the moment grouping doens't
>> support RankQuery.
>> I opened a jira item time ago
>> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8776) and I would be happy
>> to receive feedback on that.  You can find the code here
>> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> diego
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am using grouping and LTR together and the results are not getting
>> > re-rank as it does without grouping.
>> >
>> > I am passing &rq parameter.
>> >
>> > Does LTR work with grouping on?
>> > Solr version 6.5
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Roopa

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi Diego,

Thank you,

I am interested in reranking the documents inside one of the groups.

I will try the options you mentioned here.

Thank you,
Roopa

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 6:57 AM, Diego Ceccarelli (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Roopa,
>
> If you look at the diff:
>
> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162/files
>
> I didn't change much in SolrIndexSearcher, you can try to skip the file
> when applying the patch and redo the changes after.
>
> Alternatively, the feature branch is available here:
>
> https://github.com/bloomberg/lucene-solr/commits/master-solr-8776
>
> you could try to merge with that or cheery-pick my changes.
>
> Are you interested in reranking the groups or also in reranking the
> documents inside each group?
>
> Cheers,
> Diego
>

> From: [hidden email] At: 12/09/17 19:07:25To:
> [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping
>
> Hi I tried to apply this JIRA SOLR-8776 as a patch as this feature is
> critical.
>
> Here are the steps I took on my mac:
>
> On branch branch_6_5
>
> Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/branch_6_5'
>
> patch -p1 -i 162.patch --dry-run
>

> I am getting Failures for certain Hunks
>
> Example:
>
> patching file
> solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/search/SolrIndexSearcher.java
>
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 1471.
>

> Could you please give your input on how to apply this ticket as a patch for
> branch_6_5 ?
>

> Thank you,
>
> Roopa
>
> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Diego,
> >
> > Thank you, I will look into this and see how I could patch this.
> >
> > Thank you for your quick response,
> > Roopa
> >

> > On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Roopa,
> >>
> >> LTR is implemented using RankQuery, and at the moment grouping doens't
> >> support RankQuery.
> >> I opened a jira item time ago
> >> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8776) and I would be happy
> >> to receive feedback on that.  You can find the code here
> >> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> diego

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi -

I merged the code from the bloomberg master-solr-8776 branch to branch_6_6 on Solr.

When I tried to compile the solr source code, I am getting multiple compilation errors (Attached), which seems to be due to the fact that the branch master-solr-8776 may not be compatible with branch_6_6.

Could you please provide your input if master-solr-8776 is compatible with branch_6_6?

If this is not the case then how to proceed with using fix in master-solr-8776 with branch_6_6 can a new patch be created for this?

Thank you,
Roopa

From: [hidden email] At: 12/09/17 19:07:25To:  [hidden email]

compilationerr.txt (32K) Download Attachment

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Diego Ceccarelli
Hi Roopa, unfortunately I can't port the patch to the branch_6_6, but
soon I'll update to upstream. Sorry about that.

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I merged the code from the bloomberg master-solr-8776 branch to branch_6_6
> on Solr.
>
> When I tried to compile the solr source code, I am getting multiple
> compilation errors (Attached), which seems to be due to the fact that the
> branch master-solr-8776 may not be compatible with branch_6_6.
>
> Could you please provide your input if master-solr-8776 is compatible with
> branch_6_6?
>
> If this is not the case then how to proceed with using fix in
> master-solr-8776 with branch_6_6 can a new patch be created for this?
>
> Thank you,
> Roopa
>
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Diego,
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> I am interested in reranking the documents inside one of the groups.
>>
>> I will try the options you mentioned here.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Roopa
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 6:57 AM, Diego Ceccarelli (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Roopa,
>>>
>>> If you look at the diff:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/162/files
>>>
>>> I didn't change much in SolrIndexSearcher, you can try to skip the file
>>> when applying the patch and redo the changes after.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, the feature branch is available here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/bloomberg/lucene-solr/commits/master-solr-8776
>>>
>>> you could try to merge with that or cheery-pick my changes.
>>>
>>> Are you interested in reranking the groups or also in reranking the
>>> documents inside each group?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Diego
>>>

>>> From: [hidden email] At: 12/09/17 19:07:25To:
>>> [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping
>>>
>>> Hi I tried to apply this JIRA SOLR-8776 as a patch as this feature is
>>> critical.
>>>
>>> Here are the steps I took on my mac:
>>>
>>> On branch branch_6_5
>>>
>>> Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/branch_6_5'
>>>
>>> patch -p1 -i 162.patch --dry-run
>>>

>>> I am getting Failures for certain Hunks
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> patching file
>>> solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/search/SolrIndexSearcher.java
>>>
>>> Hunk #1 FAILED at 1471.
>>>

>>> Could you please give your input on how to apply this ticket as a patch
>>> for
>>> branch_6_5 ?
>>>

>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Roopa

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi Diego,

Thank you for looking into it further.
We recently ported over to 6.6 version solely to use LTR feature as it is
critical for us.

Since its not working with grouping in the base version, I am trying to
evaluate if there is any alternative way to make it work in 6.6 versus
upgrading to 7.0.

Any guidance you could provide on what can be done to use 6.6 with grouping
+ LTR or any alternatives would be helpful. Do I read your response as
needing to go to 7.0 when you say upstream?

Thank you,
Roopa

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Roopa, unfortunately I can't port the patch to the branch_6_6, but
> soon I'll update to upstream. Sorry about that.
>
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > I merged the code from the bloomberg master-solr-8776 branch to
> branch_6_6
> > on Solr.
> >
> > When I tried to compile the solr source code, I am getting multiple
> > compilation errors (Attached), which seems to be due to the fact that the
> > branch master-solr-8776 may not be compatible with branch_6_6.
> >
> > Could you please provide your input if master-solr-8776 is compatible
> with
> > branch_6_6?
> >
> > If this is not the case then how to proceed with using fix in
> > master-solr-8776 with branch_6_6 can a new patch be created for this?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Roopa
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Diego,
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >>
> >> I am interested in reranking the documents inside one of the groups.
> >>
> >> I will try the options you mentioned here.
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Roopa

> doens't
> happy

> getting

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi,

Any guidance on this would be helpful.

Thank you,
Roopa

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 8:47 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Diego,
>
> Thank you for looking into it further.
> We recently ported over to 6.6 version solely to use LTR feature as it is
> critical for us.
>
> Since its not working with grouping in the base version, I am trying to
> evaluate if there is any alternative way to make it work in 6.6 versus
> upgrading to 7.0.
>
> Any guidance you could provide on what can be done to use 6.6 with
> grouping + LTR or any alternatives would be helpful. Do I read your
> response as needing to go to 7.0 when you say upstream?
>
> Thank you,
> Roopa
>

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roopa, unfortunately I can't port the patch to the branch_6_6, but
>> soon I'll update to upstream. Sorry about that.
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi -
>> >
>> > I merged the code from the bloomberg master-solr-8776 branch to
>> branch_6_6
>> > on Solr.
>> >
>> > When I tried to compile the solr source code, I am getting multiple
>> > compilation errors (Attached), which seems to be due to the fact that
>> the
>> > branch master-solr-8776 may not be compatible with branch_6_6.
>> >
>> > Could you please provide your input if master-solr-8776 is compatible
>> with
>> > branch_6_6?
>> >
>> > If this is not the case then how to proceed with using fix in
>> > master-solr-8776 with branch_6_6 can a new patch be created for this?
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Roopa

>> file

>> patch

>> doens't
>> happy

>> getting

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Solution that I implemented currently is:
Since we have a web application which takes the solr results and display in
the UI and I need LTR enabled for only one of the group,
I am executing two parallel queries to Solr from web app.
1st query Get grouped results without LTR
2nd query Get results with no grouping + LTR
Merge 1) & 2) in web app.
Doing a performance test now. Since there are only 10 results for these
queries and the queries are executed in parallel, I don't foresee any
problems.

Thanks!
Roopa

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any guidance on this would be helpful.
>
> Thank you,
> Roopa
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 8:47 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Diego,
>>
>> Thank you for looking into it further.
>> We recently ported over to 6.6 version solely to use LTR feature as it is
>> critical for us.
>>
>> Since its not working with grouping in the base version, I am trying to
>> evaluate if there is any alternative way to make it work in 6.6 versus
>> upgrading to 7.0.
>>
>> Any guidance you could provide on what can be done to use 6.6 with
>> grouping + LTR or any alternatives would be helpful. Do I read your
>> response as needing to go to 7.0 when you say upstream?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Roopa
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Roopa, unfortunately I can't port the patch to the branch_6_6, but
>>> soon I'll update to upstream. Sorry about that.

>>> branch_6_6

>>> the

>>> with

>>> file

>>> patch

>>> doens't
>>> happy

>>> getting

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Diego Ceccarelli (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)
Roopa, did you try collapsing instead of grouping? it would work with ltr..

From: [hidden email] At: 01/11/18 16:48:26To:  [hidden email]

Solution that I implemented currently is:
Since we have a web application which takes the solr results and display in
the UI and I need LTR enabled for only one of the group,
I am executing two parallel queries to Solr from web app.
1st query Get grouped results without LTR
2nd query Get results with no grouping + LTR
Merge 1) & 2) in web app.
Doing a performance test now. Since there are only 10 results for these
queries and the queries are executed in parallel, I don't foresee any
problems.

Thanks!
Roopa

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any guidance on this would be helpful.
>
> Thank you,
> Roopa
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 8:47 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Diego,
>>
>> Thank you for looking into it further.
>> We recently ported over to 6.6 version solely to use LTR feature as it is
>> critical for us.
>>
>> Since its not working with grouping in the base version, I am trying to
>> evaluate if there is any alternative way to make it work in 6.6 versus
>> upgrading to 7.0.
>>
>> Any guidance you could provide on what can be done to use 6.6 with
>> grouping + LTR or any alternatives would be helpful. Do I read your
>> response as needing to go to 7.0 when you say upstream?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Roopa
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Diego Ceccarelli <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Roopa, unfortunately I can't port the patch to the branch_6_6, but
>>> soon I'll update to upstream. Sorry about that.

>>> branch_6_6

>>> the

>>> with

>>> file

>>> patch

>>> doens't
>>> happy

>>> getting

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi Diego,

I tried collapsing, unfortunately we are using a third party tool for Query
processing, that does not support collapsing. Hence I am unable to go that
route.

Thank you,
Roopa

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 2:59 PM, Diego Ceccarelli (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Roopa, did you try collapsing instead of grouping? it would work with ltr..
>
> From: [hidden email] At: 01/11/18 16:48:26To:
> [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping
>
> Solution that I implemented currently is:
> Since we have a web application which takes the solr results and display in
> the UI and I need LTR enabled for only one of the group,
> I am executing two parallel queries to Solr from web app.
> 1st query Get grouped results without LTR
> 2nd query Get results with no grouping + LTR
> Merge 1) & 2) in web app.
> Doing a performance test now. Since there are only 10 results for these
> queries and the queries are executed in parallel, I don't foresee any
> problems.
>
> Thanks!
> Roopa
>

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Any guidance on this would be helpful.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Roopa
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 8:47 PM, Roopa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Diego,
> >>
> >> Thank you for looking into it further.
> >> We recently ported over to 6.6 version solely to use LTR feature as it
> is
> >> critical for us.
> >>
> >> Since its not working with grouping in the base version, I am trying to
> >> evaluate if there is any alternative way to make it work in 6.6 versus
> >> upgrading to 7.0.
> >>
> >> Any guidance you could provide on what can be done to use 6.6 with
> >> grouping + LTR or any alternatives would be helpful. Do I read your
> >> response as needing to go to 7.0 when you say upstream?
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Roopa

> LONDON)

> is

> be

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

ilayaraja
This post was updated on .
Hi Roopa & Diego,

 I am facing same issue with grouping. Currently, am on Solr 7.2.1 but still
see that grouping with LTR is not working. Did you apply it as patch or the
latest solr version has the fix already?

Ilay

-----
--Ilay
--Ilay

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Roopa Rao
Hi Ilay,

I am still on Solr 6.6.0 and did not patch the grouping fix.
I implemented a temporary workaround solution to have 2 async request from
the web application 1st with grouping 2nd without grouping and merged the
results.
This solution worked for my case as we were getting grouping results for
specific tiles in the page.

Roopa

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 2:57 AM, ilayaraja <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Roopa & Deigo,
>
>  I am facing same issue with grouping. Currently, am on Solr 7.2.1 but
> still
> see that grouping with LTR is not working. Did you apply it as patch or the
> latest solr version has the fix already?
>
> Ilay
>

> -----
> --Ilay

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

ilayaraja
Thanks Roopa.

I was expecting that the issue has been fixed in solr 7.0 as per here
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8776.

Let me see why it is still not working on solr-ltr-7.2.1

-----
--Ilay
--Ilay

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Erick Erickson
People sometimes fill in the Fix/Version field when they're creating
the JIRA, since anyone can open a JIRA it's hard to control. I took
that out just now.

Basically if the "Resolution" field doesn't indicate it's fixed, you
should assume that it hasn't been addressed.

Patches welcome.

Best,
Erick

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 9:11 AM, ilayaraja <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Roopa.
>
> I was expecting that the issue has been fixed in solr 7.0 as per here
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8776.
>
> Let me see why it is still not working on solr-ltr-7.2.1
>

> -----
> --Ilay

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Alessandro Benedetti
Hi Erick,
I have a curiosity/suggestion regarding how to speed up pending( or
forgotten ) Jiras,
is there a way to find out the most suitable committer(s) for the task and
tag them ?

Apache Lucene/Solr is a big project, is there anywhere in the official
Apache Lucene/Solr website where each committer list the modules of
interest/expertise ?
In this way when a contrbutor create a Jira and attach a patch, the
committers could get a notification if the module involving the Jira is one
of their interest.
This could be done manually ( the contributor check the committers interests
and manually tag them in the Jira) or automatically ( integrating Jira
modules with this "Interests list" in some way) .
Happy to help in this direction.

I understand that all of us contributors ( and committers) are just
volunteers, so no SLA is expected at all, but did the fact of the fixed
version already assigned affect the address of that Jira issue ?

Cheers

-----
---------------
Alessandro Benedetti
Sease Ltd. - www.sease.io
---------------
Alessandro Benedetti
Sease Ltd. - www.sease.io

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Shawn Heisey-2
On 4/17/2018 5:35 AM, Alessandro Benedetti wrote:
> Apache Lucene/Solr is a big project, is there anywhere in the official
> Apache Lucene/Solr website where each committer list the modules of
> interest/expertise ?

No, there is no repository like that.  Each committer knows what their
own expertise is of course, and sometimes may know a little bit about
the expertise of a few others, but there is nothing documented.  I feel
fairly sure that most of them are unwilling to document their skills.
If information like that is documented, it might saddle a committer with
an obligation to work on issues affecting those areas when they may not
have the free time available to cover that obligation.

> I understand that all of us contributors ( and committers) are just
> volunteers, so no SLA is expected at all, but did the fact of the fixed
> version already assigned affect the address of that Jira issue ?

The fix version is initially assigned by the person who opens the jira.
When an issue is opened, that field should not be populated, but we
can't expect everybody to know that.

If one of the committers happens to notice that there is a fix version
but nobody is actually working on the issue, that may get cleared out.
A committer will usually only enter one or more values in the fix
version field if they are reasonably certain that they will actually get
a fix committed to those specific releases.  For this reason, that field
is often left blank until the change is actually ready.  Releases are
not scheduled in advance, so until a release manager has volunteered and
started work on a release, we never know when it's going to happen.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Learning to Rank (LTR) with grouping

Alessandro Benedetti
Thanks for the response Shawn !

In relation to this :
"I feel fairly sure that most of them are unwilling to document their
skills.
If information like that is documented, it might saddle a committer with
an obligation to work on issues affecting those areas when they may not
have the free time available to cover that obligation. "

I understand your point.
I was referring to pure Lucene/Solr modules interest/expertise more than
skills but I get that "it might saddle a committer with
an obligation to work on issues affecting those areas when they may not
have the free time available to cover that obligation."

It shouldn't transmit an obligation ( as no contributor operates under any
SLA but purely passion driven ) but it might be a "suggestion" .
I was thinking to some way to avoid such long standing Jiras.
Let's pick this issue as an example.
From the little of my opinion I believe it is quite useful.
The last activity is from 22/May/17 15:23 and no committer commented after
that.
I would assume that committers with interest or expertise on Learning To
Rank or Grouping initially didn't have free time to evaluate the patch and
then maybe they just forgot.
Having some sort of tagging based on expertise could at least avoid the
"forget" part ?
Or the contributor should viralize the issue and get as much "votes" from
the community as possible to validate an issue to be sexy ?
Just thinking loudly, it was just an idea ( and I am not completely sure it
could help) but I believe as a community we should manage a little bit
better contributions, of course I am open to any idea and perspective.

Cheers

-----
Alessandro Benedetti
Sease Ltd. - www.sease.io