Lucene/Solr 7.6

12

Lucene/Solr 7.6

Nicholas Knize
Hi all,

To follow up from our discussion on the 8.0 thread, I would like to cut the 7.6 branch on either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Since this implies feature freeze I went ahead and had a look at some of the issues that are labeled for 7.6.

It looks like we only have one active issue listed as a blocker for Solr. The upgrade notes in SOLR-12927

For Lucene we have five active issues (each with a patch provided) listed as blockers targeted for 7.6.

If there are any other issues that need to land before cutting the branch, and they are not already labeled, please either mark them as blockers accordingly or let me know prior to cutting the branch next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thank you!

- Nick
--

Nicholas Knize, Ph.D., GISP
Geospatial Software Guy  |  Elasticsearch

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

Erick Erickson
Hmmmm, my off-the-cuff reaction is that this feels too early.

In the back of my mind I had the 7.6 release roughly coinciding with
8.0 to tie the 7x code line up in a bow. I suppose it doesn't really
matter if it is Solr 7.7 or later if we want something coincident with
8.0 though.
On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 1:38 PM Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To follow up from our discussion on the 8.0 thread, I would like to cut the 7.6 branch on either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Since this implies feature freeze I went ahead and had a look at some of the issues that are labeled for 7.6.
>
> It looks like we only have one active issue listed as a blocker for Solr. The upgrade notes in SOLR-12927
>
> For Lucene we have five active issues (each with a patch provided) listed as blockers targeted for 7.6.
>
> If there are any other issues that need to land before cutting the branch, and they are not already labeled, please either mark them as blockers accordingly or let me know prior to cutting the branch next Tuesday or Wednesday.
>
> Thank you!
>
> - Nick
> --
>
> Nicholas Knize, Ph.D., GISP
> Geospatial Software Guy  |  Elasticsearch
> Apache Lucene Committer

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

Gus Heck
I think SOLR-12891 might want to get into 7.6

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 9:27 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hmmmm, my off-the-cuff reaction is that this feels too early.

In the back of my mind I had the 7.6 release roughly coinciding with
8.0 to tie the 7x code line up in a bow. I suppose it doesn't really
matter if it is Solr 7.7 or later if we want something coincident with
8.0 though.
On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 1:38 PM Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To follow up from our discussion on the 8.0 thread, I would like to cut the 7.6 branch on either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Since this implies feature freeze I went ahead and had a look at some of the issues that are labeled for 7.6.
>
> It looks like we only have one active issue listed as a blocker for Solr. The upgrade notes in SOLR-12927
>
> For Lucene we have five active issues (each with a patch provided) listed as blockers targeted for 7.6.
>
> If there are any other issues that need to land before cutting the branch, and they are not already labeled, please either mark them as blockers accordingly or let me know prior to cutting the branch next Tuesday or Wednesday.
>
> Thank you!
>
> - Nick
> --
>
> Nicholas Knize, Ph.D., GISP
> Geospatial Software Guy  |  Elasticsearch
> Apache Lucene Committer

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

Nicholas Knize
+1 for a 7.7 release to coincide with 8.0 which sounds like will happen around January time frame.

If needed I can hold off on cutting the 7.6 branch and feature freezing until Friday of next week. That would still give at least two weeks of jenkins testing & bug fixing before a target release the last week of November.

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 8:40 PM Gus Heck <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think SOLR-12891 might want to get into 7.6

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 9:27 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hmmmm, my off-the-cuff reaction is that this feels too early.

In the back of my mind I had the 7.6 release roughly coinciding with
8.0 to tie the 7x code line up in a bow. I suppose it doesn't really
matter if it is Solr 7.7 or later if we want something coincident with
8.0 though.
On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 1:38 PM Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To follow up from our discussion on the 8.0 thread, I would like to cut the 7.6 branch on either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Since this implies feature freeze I went ahead and had a look at some of the issues that are labeled for 7.6.
>
> It looks like we only have one active issue listed as a blocker for Solr. The upgrade notes in SOLR-12927
>
> For Lucene we have five active issues (each with a patch provided) listed as blockers targeted for 7.6.
>
> If there are any other issues that need to land before cutting the branch, and they are not already labeled, please either mark them as blockers accordingly or let me know prior to cutting the branch next Tuesday or Wednesday.
>
> Thank you!
>
> - Nick
> --
>
> Nicholas Knize, Ph.D., GISP
> Geospatial Software Guy  |  Elasticsearch
> Apache Lucene Committer

Nicholas Knize, Ph.D., GISP
Geospatial Software Guy  |  Elasticsearch
Apache Lucene Committer

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

Bram Van Dam
On 02/11/2018 15:41, Nicholas Knize wrote:
> If needed I can hold off on cutting the 7.6 branch and feature freezing
> until Friday of next week. That would still give at least two weeks of
> jenkins testing & bug fixing before a target release the last week of
> November.

If you're cutting 7.6 soon, could you be so kind as to have a look at
including SOLR-12953?

Thanks!

 - Bram

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

Nicholas Knize
Hello all,

It looks like we only have two remaining blockers for Solr: SOLR-12927 and SOLR-12927
and two remaining blockers for Lucene: LUCENE-8556 and LUCENE-8559

Let me know if there are any other blockers that need to be resolved prior to cutting the branch. If not, I will plan to cut the branch on Friday or (provided they are close to resolution) whenever these issues are resolved.

Thanks!

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:53 AM Bram Van Dam <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02/11/2018 15:41, Nicholas Knize wrote:
> If needed I can hold off on cutting the 7.6 branch and feature freezing
> until Friday of next week. That would still give at least two weeks of
> jenkins testing & bug fixing before a target release the last week of
> November.

If you're cutting 7.6 soon, could you be so kind as to have a look at
including SOLR-12953?

Thanks!

 - Bram
--

Nicholas Knize, Ph.D., GISP
Geospatial Software Guy  |  Elasticsearch
Apache Lucene Committer

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

Tim Underwood
Hello,

I have 2 small simple changes (that are not blockers) that would be nice to get into 7.6 if anybody has a chance to review:

SOLR-12880 - Updates JSON Facets debug output to show something like "FacetFieldProcessorByHashDV" instead of just "FacetField" for the "processor" field
SOLR-12964 - Switch to using advanceExact for a few JSON facet use cases

Thanks,
-Tim

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 1:42 PM Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

It looks like we only have two remaining blockers for Solr: SOLR-12927 and SOLR-12927
and two remaining blockers for Lucene: LUCENE-8556 and LUCENE-8559

Let me know if there are any other blockers that need to be resolved prior to cutting the branch. If not, I will plan to cut the branch on Friday or (provided they are close to resolution) whenever these issues are resolved.

Thanks!

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:53 AM Bram Van Dam <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02/11/2018 15:41, Nicholas Knize wrote:
> If needed I can hold off on cutting the 7.6 branch and feature freezing
> until Friday of next week. That would still give at least two weeks of
> jenkins testing & bug fixing before a target release the last week of
> November.

If you're cutting 7.6 soon, could you be so kind as to have a look at
including SOLR-12953?

Thanks!

 - Bram
--

Nicholas Knize, Ph.D., GISP
Geospatial Software Guy  |  Elasticsearch
Apache Lucene Committer

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

Chris Hostetter-3

: Let me know if there are any other blockers that need to be resolved prior
: to cutting the branch. If not, I will plan to cut the branch on Friday or
: (provided they are close to resolution) whenever these issues are resolved.

nknize:  I'd like to try and get SOLR-12962 into 7.6...

It's a new "opt in" feature, but one that should help prevent a lot of
performance problems for people who want to try it out -- so I'd really
like to release it ASAP so we can hopefully get feedback from folks who
try it in time to consider changing the default to "opt out" ~8.0 (see
SOLR-12963 and parent SOLR-8273 for background)

The patch is currently feature complete -- the only 'nocommits' are for
updating a small amount of documentation, which I should have done
sometime thursday morning (GMT-0700).

I'm currently having my machine hammer on the tests, and waiting/hoping
for some patch review / sanity checks.

My typically "personal workflow based on comfort level" for a change like
this would be to do nothing but testing & self-review for at least a day
before committing & backporting ... which would mean wrapping it up
sometime friday afternoon (GMT-0700).

Unless there are any objections, I'd appreciate knowing if either:

 1) You would be ok holding off on cutting branch_7_6 until
    sometime *after* friday ?

 2) Folks would be ok w/me backporting SOLR-12962 to banch_7_6 after
    you fork it (even though it's a new feature, not a blocker bug fix) ?

Thoughts? Concerns?

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

Toke Eskildsen-2
On Tue, 2018-11-06 at 15:41 -0600, Nicholas Knize wrote:
> Let me know if there are any other blockers that need to be resolved
> prior to cutting the branch. If not, I will plan to cut the branch on
> Friday or (provided they are close to resolution) whenever these
> issues are resolved.

Not a blocker, but I have LUCENE-8374 (DocValues performance
optimization) which I expect would be very beneficial for 7.6.

It needs back porting from master (30 minutes by me as the relevant
code paths are virtually the same between 7.6 & master), but the main
problem is that it is a 2000+ line patch that has not been reviewed.

It seems a bit forced to add it to 7.6, but on the other hand it will
be tested thoroughly as part of the release process. What is the best
action here?

- Toke Eskildsen, Royal Danish Library

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

jim ferenczi
That's a big patch and as you said it needs a proper review. Considering that the release should be in two weeks I think we shouldn't rush this in 7.6. That's my 2 cents but it also depends if we do a 7.7 or not. Otherwise I don't know if this could go in a patch release (assuming that 7.6 is the last 7x release).

jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's a big patch and as you said it needs a proper review.

Reviewing large patches is a problem in itself. I guess some baking time on master is a secondary alternative, which unfortunately does not fit into the idea of getting this in 7.6.

> Considering that the release should be in two weeks I think we
> shouldn't rush this in 7.6. That's my 2 cents but it also depends
> if we do a 7.7 or not.

That is one reason I am pushing this a bit. It would be quite a missed opportunity to not get this into 7.x at some point, as I know the reluctance to upgrade to new major versions.

Thanks,
Toke Eskildsen

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

Nicholas Knize
Seems this would be one reason to have a 7.7 release at the same time as 8.0. Aside from also tying the 7.x code line off with a bow, as Erick had suggested, are there other features / improvements that warrant a 7.7 release around the January time frame?

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 2:46 PM Toke Eskildsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's a big patch and as you said it needs a proper review.

Reviewing large patches is a problem in itself. I guess some baking time on master is a secondary alternative, which unfortunately does not fit into the idea of getting this in 7.6.

> Considering that the release should be in two weeks I think we
> shouldn't rush this in 7.6. That's my 2 cents but it also depends
> if we do a 7.7 or not.

That is one reason I am pushing this a bit. It would be quite a missed opportunity to not get this into 7.x at some point, as I know the reluctance to upgrade to new major versions.

Thanks,
Toke Eskildsen

Nicholas Knize, Ph.D., GISP
Geospatial Software Guy  |  Elasticsearch
Apache Lucene Committer

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

Chris Hostetter-3

: I don't have any problem waiting until tomorrow to cut the branch. I
: noticed a patch was just committed so let me know if you happen to resolve
: this sooner than expected.

Heh .. yeah, since I didn't hear back from you I stayed up a little later
then usual the last 2 nights re-reviewing everything (that and the
patch review from smiley gave me some re-assurance.)

(As far as SOLR-12962 is concerned) Feel free to cut branch_7_6 whenever
you're ready.

: On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 3:59 PM Chris Hostetter <[hidden email]>
: wrote:
:
: >
[...]
: > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
: > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
: >
: > --
:
: Nicholas Knize, Ph.D., GISP
: Geospatial Software Guy  |  Elasticsearch
: Apache Lucene Committer
: [hidden email]
:

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

Walter Underwood
Should I try and get a new patch for SOLR-629 working with 7.x?

Previous patches have been ignored, so I’d like somebody to promise to look at it. Getting those changes into the edismax code makes my brain hurt.

wunder
Walter Underwood
[hidden email]
http://observer.wunderwood.org/  (my blog)

On Nov 9, 2018, at 9:43 AM, Chris Hostetter <[hidden email]> wrote:

: I don't have any problem waiting until tomorrow to cut the branch. I
: noticed a patch was just committed so let me know if you happen to resolve
: this sooner than expected.

Heh .. yeah, since I didn't hear back from you I stayed up a little later
then usual the last 2 nights re-reviewing everything (that and the
patch review from smiley gave me some re-assurance.)

(As far as SOLR-12962 is concerned) Feel free to cut branch_7_6 whenever
you're ready.

: On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 3:59 PM Chris Hostetter <[hidden email]>
: wrote:
:
: >
[...]

Great work guys, and thanks!

branch_7_6 has been cut and versions updated to 7.7 on branch_7x.  Just the normal reminder:
  • No new features may be committed to the branch.
  • Documentation patches, build patches and serious bug fixes may be committed to the branch. However, you should submit all patches you want to commit to Jira first to give others the chance to review and possibly vote against the patch. Keep in mind that it is our main intention to keep the branch as stable as possible.

  • All patches that are intended for the branch should first be committed to the unstable branch, merged into the stable branch, and then into the current release branch.
  • Normal unstable and stable branch development may continue as usual. However, if you plan to commit a big change to the unstable branch while the branch feature freeze is in effect, think twice: can't the addition wait a couple more days? Merges of bug fixes into the branch may become more difficult.
  • Only Jira issues with Fix version "X.Y" and priority "Blocker" will delay a release candidate build.

Also, a quick request. It doesn't look like I have Jenkins admin rights. Would someone (with the power) either mind granting me admin privileges or add/update the Jenkins build tasks for the new branch?

Thank you,

- Nick

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 11:43 AM Chris Hostetter <[hidden email]> wrote:

: I don't have any problem waiting until tomorrow to cut the branch. I
: noticed a patch was just committed so let me know if you happen to resolve
: this sooner than expected.

Heh .. yeah, since I didn't hear back from you I stayed up a little later
then usual the last 2 nights re-reviewing everything (that and the
patch review from smiley gave me some re-assurance.)

(As far as SOLR-12962 is concerned) Feel free to cut branch_7_6 whenever
you're ready.

: On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 3:59 PM Chris Hostetter <[hidden email]>
: wrote:
:
: >
[...]

sarowe
Hi Nick,

> On Nov 9, 2018, at 3:24 PM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> branch_7_6 has been cut and versions updated to 7.7 on branch_7x.
> [...]
> Also, a quick request. It doesn't look like I have Jenkins admin rights. Would someone (with the power) either mind granting me admin privileges or add/update the Jenkins build tasks for the new branch?

Repeating myself from the 7.5 release thread:

> Each project's PMC Chair is responsible for granting job creation/modification permissions on Jenkins: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Jenkins#Jenkins-HowdoIgetanaccount

In case it's not clear, only Adrien can do this ^^.

I have created the 7.6 jobs on ASF Jenkins.

Steve

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

sarowe
Hi Cassandra,

> On Nov 9, 2018, at 3:47 PM, Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't know if it's on the Release ToDo list, but we need a Jenkins job for the Ref Guide to be built from branch_7x  also.

I assume you mean a branch_7_6 ref guide job, since there already is one for branch_7x; I created it along with the others.

FYI the ref guide job is listed among those to create on https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/JenkinsReleaseBuilds , which is linked from https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseTodo#Jenkins_Release_Builds .

Steve

Re: Lucene/Solr 7.6

caomanhdat
Hi guys,

Is it ok for backporting SOLR-12969 to branch_7_6?