Lucene/Solr 8.1

12

Lucene/Solr 8.1

Ignacio Vera
Hi all,

Feature freeze for 8.0 was long time ago (January 29th) and there is interesting stuff that has not been released yet. In Lucene in particular there is the new BKD tree strategy for segment merging  which provides a significant performance boost for high dimensions, the new Luke module or the new query visitor API for naming a few. I see that in Solr there is as well quite a few unreleased changes.

I might not be able to be the release manager this time as I will be on holidays the next few weeks but I would like to gauge the interest in the community to have a new release soonish.

Cheers,

Ignacio

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
+1 for a 8.1 soon. I can volunteer for RM.
Does 30 April (about 2 weeks from now) sound reasonable for a branch cutting?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 1:14 PM Ignacio Vera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Feature freeze for 8.0 was long time ago (January 29th) and there is interesting stuff that has not been released yet. In Lucene in particular there is the new BKD tree strategy for segment merging  which provides a significant performance boost for high dimensions, the new Luke module or the new query visitor API for naming a few. I see that in Solr there is as well quite a few unreleased changes.
>
> I might not be able to be the release manager this time as I will be on holidays the next few weeks but I would like to gauge the interest in the community to have a new release soonish.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ignacio

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Adrien Grand
+1 to do a 8.1 soon too, thanks Ishan for volunteering! I'm expecting
you'd build a RC soon after cutting the branch?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:08 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for a 8.1 soon. I can volunteer for RM.
> Does 30 April (about 2 weeks from now) sound reasonable for a branch cutting?
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 1:14 PM Ignacio Vera <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Feature freeze for 8.0 was long time ago (January 29th) and there is interesting stuff that has not been released yet. In Lucene in particular there is the new BKD tree strategy for segment merging  which provides a significant performance boost for high dimensions, the new Luke module or the new query visitor API for naming a few. I see that in Solr there is as well quite a few unreleased changes.
> >
> > I might not be able to be the release manager this time as I will be on holidays the next few weeks but I would like to gauge the interest in the community to have a new release soonish.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Ignacio

Adrien

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> I'm expecting
> you'd build a RC soon after cutting the branch?

Sure, maybe a day or two after the branch cutting.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:51 PM Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to do a 8.1 soon too, thanks Ishan for volunteering! I'm expecting
> you'd build a RC soon after cutting the branch?
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:08 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1 for a 8.1 soon. I can volunteer for RM.
> > Does 30 April (about 2 weeks from now) sound reasonable for a branch cutting?
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 1:14 PM Ignacio Vera <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Feature freeze for 8.0 was long time ago (January 29th) and there is interesting stuff that has not been released yet. In Lucene in particular there is the new BKD tree strategy for segment merging  which provides a significant performance boost for high dimensions, the new Luke module or the new query visitor API for naming a few. I see that in Solr there is as well quite a few unreleased changes.
> > >
> > > I might not be able to be the release manager this time as I will be on holidays the next few weeks but I would like to gauge the interest in the community to have a new release soonish.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Ignacio

> Adrien

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Erick Erickson
30 Apr seems reasonable to me for cutting the branch.

Thanks!

> On Apr 18, 2019, at 9:23 AM, Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm expecting
>> you'd build a RC soon after cutting the branch?
>
> Sure, maybe a day or two after the branch cutting.
>

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:51 PM Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1 to do a 8.1 soon too, thanks Ishan for volunteering! I'm expecting
>> you'd build a RC soon after cutting the branch?
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:08 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 for a 8.1 soon. I can volunteer for RM.
>>> Does 30 April (about 2 weeks from now) sound reasonable for a branch cutting?

>> --
>> Adrien

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Joel Bernstein
+1 to April 30th timeframe.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 12:40 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
30 Apr seems reasonable to me for cutting the branch.

Thanks!

> On Apr 18, 2019, at 9:23 AM, Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm expecting
>> you'd build a RC soon after cutting the branch?
>
> Sure, maybe a day or two after the branch cutting.
>

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:51 PM Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1 to do a 8.1 soon too, thanks Ishan for volunteering! I'm expecting
>> you'd build a RC soon after cutting the branch?
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:08 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 for a 8.1 soon. I can volunteer for RM.
>>> Does 30 April (about 2 weeks from now) sound reasonable for a branch cutting?

>> --
>> Adrien

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Hi all,
I'll cut the release branch in around 12-18 hours.
Planning to build the first RC on 2nd May.
Thanks and regards,
Ishan

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 12:04 AM Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to April 30th timeframe.
>
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 12:40 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 30 Apr seems reasonable to me for cutting the branch.
>>
>> Thanks!

>> > Sure, maybe a day or two after the branch cutting.

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
I've cut the release branch, branch_8_1.
Seems like I don't have authorization to create a new Jenkins job for
8.1. Can someone with the access please help?

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 9:48 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'll cut the release branch in around 12-18 hours.
> Planning to build the first RC on 2nd May.
> Thanks and regards,
> Ishan
>
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 12:04 AM Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1 to April 30th timeframe.
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 12:40 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> 30 Apr seems reasonable to me for cutting the branch.
> >>
> >> Thanks!

RE: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Uwe Schindler
I can help out later!

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de
> I've cut the release branch, branch_8_1.
> Seems like I don't have authorization to create a new Jenkins job for
> 8.1. Can someone with the access please help?
>
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 9:48 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I'll cut the release branch in around 12-18 hours.
> > Planning to build the first RC on 2nd May.
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Ishan
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 12:04 AM Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > +1 to April 30th timeframe.

> branch cutting?

> is interesting stuff that has not been released yet. In Lucene in particular
> there is the new BKD tree strategy for segment merging  which provides a
> significant performance boost for high dimensions, the new Luke module or
> the new query visitor API for naming a few. I see that in Solr there is as well
> quite a few unreleased changes.

> on holidays the next few weeks but I would like to gauge the interest in the
> community to have a new release soonish.

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
FYI today in some hours I plan to commit a solr-ref-guide documentation update to 8.1 -- https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/647 so that an 8.1 feature is properly documented RE nested docs and partial/atomic updates.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 7:19 AM Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can help out later!

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de
> I've cut the release branch, branch_8_1.
> Seems like I don't have authorization to create a new Jenkins job for
> 8.1. Can someone with the access please help?
>
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 9:48 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I'll cut the release branch in around 12-18 hours.
> > Planning to build the first RC on 2nd May.
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Ishan
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 12:04 AM Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > +1 to April 30th timeframe.

> branch cutting?

> is interesting stuff that has not been released yet. In Lucene in particular
> there is the new BKD tree strategy for segment merging  which provides a
> significant performance boost for high dimensions, the new Luke module or
> the new query visitor API for naming a few. I see that in Solr there is as well
> quite a few unreleased changes.

> on holidays the next few weeks but I would like to gauge the interest in the
> community to have a new release soonish.

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
+1, David.

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 7:07 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FYI today in some hours I plan to commit a solr-ref-guide documentation update to 8.1 -- https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/647 so that an 8.1 feature is properly documented RE nested docs and partial/atomic updates.
>
> ~ David Smiley
> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>

> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 7:19 AM Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I can help out later!
>>
>> Uwe
>>
>> -----
>> Uwe Schindler
>> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
>> https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Due to failing tests (esp. PeerSyncTest and TestInPlaceUpdatesDistrib,
among others), I'm postponing the RC (which I was supposed to spin
today).
Assuming we know the cause of these failures (SOLR-12833?) and we can
fix it soon enough, I'll spin up the RC1 around 48-72 hours from now.
Let me know if there are any objections.

If there are any bugfixes whose inclusion into 8.1 would be nice (and
doesn't impact the stability of the release or tests), please feel
free to commit to the 8.1 branch.
Thanks,
Ishan

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 1:02 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, David.
>
> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 7:07 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > FYI today in some hours I plan to commit a solr-ref-guide documentation update to 8.1 -- https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/647 so that an 8.1 feature is properly documented RE nested docs and partial/atomic updates.
> >
> > ~ David Smiley
> > Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
> > http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
> >

> > On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 7:19 AM Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I can help out later!
> >>
> >> Uwe
> >>
> >> -----
> >> Uwe Schindler
> >> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> >> https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
I have a fix for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12120 that I'll commit also to 8_1 since it fixes a real bug that has caused test failures 20% of the time. Thus it will stabilize the tests.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

<[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Feature freeze for 8.0 was long time ago (January 29th) and there
is interesting stuff that has not been released yet. In Lucene in particular
there is the new BKD tree strategy for segment merging  which provides a
significant performance boost for high dimensions, the new Luke module or
the new query visitor API for naming a few. I see that in Solr there is as well
quite a few unreleased changes.

I might not be able to be the release manager this time as I will be
on holidays the next few weeks but I would like to gauge the interest in the
community to have a new release soonish.

Cheers,

Ignacio

Adrien

For additional commands, [hidden email]

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
+1, thanks Jan! :-)

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 3:08 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a fix for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12120 that I'll commit also to 8_1 since it fixes a real bug that has caused test failures 20% of the time. Thus it will stabilize the tests.

> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>
> 2. mai 2019 kl. 21:36 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]>:
>
> Due to failing tests (esp. PeerSyncTest and TestInPlaceUpdatesDistrib,
> among others), I'm postponing the RC (which I was supposed to spin
> today).
> Assuming we know the cause of these failures (SOLR-12833?) and we can
> fix it soon enough, I'll spin up the RC1 around 48-72 hours from now.
> Let me know if there are any objections.
>
> If there are any bugfixes whose inclusion into 8.1 would be nice (and
> doesn't impact the stability of the release or tests), please feel
> free to commit to the 8.1 branch.
> Thanks,
> Ishan
>
> On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 1:02 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> +1, David.
>
> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 7:07 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> FYI today in some hours I plan to commit a solr-ref-guide documentation update to 8.1 -- https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/647 so that an 8.1 feature is properly documented RE nested docs and partial/atomic updates.
>
> ~ David Smiley
> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>

> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 7:19 AM Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I can help out later!
>
> Uwe
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> https://www.thetaphi.de

RE: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Uwe Schindler
8.1 Jobs are running on Jenkins since this morning - sorry for the delay.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de
> I've cut the release branch, branch_8_1.
> Seems like I don't have authorization to create a new Jenkins job for
> 8.1. Can someone with the access please help?
>
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 9:48 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I'll cut the release branch in around 12-18 hours.
> > Planning to build the first RC on 2nd May.
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Ishan
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 12:04 AM Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > +1 to April 30th timeframe.

> branch cutting?

> is interesting stuff that has not been released yet. In Lucene in particular
> there is the new BKD tree strategy for segment merging  which provides a
> significant performance boost for high dimensions, the new Luke module or
> the new query visitor API for naming a few. I see that in Solr there is as well
> quite a few unreleased changes.

> on holidays the next few weeks but I would like to gauge the interest in the
> community to have a new release soonish.

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
No problem and thanks Uwe!

On Fri, 3 May, 2019, 5:33 PM Uwe Schindler, <[hidden email]> wrote:
8.1 Jobs are running on Jenkins since this morning - sorry for the delay.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de
> I've cut the release branch, branch_8_1.
> Seems like I don't have authorization to create a new Jenkins job for
> 8.1. Can someone with the access please help?
>
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 9:48 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I'll cut the release branch in around 12-18 hours.
> > Planning to build the first RC on 2nd May.
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Ishan
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 12:04 AM Joel Bernstein <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > +1 to April 30th timeframe.

> branch cutting?

> is interesting stuff that has not been released yet. In Lucene in particular
> there is the new BKD tree strategy for segment merging  which provides a
> significant performance boost for high dimensions, the new Luke module or
> the new query visitor API for naming a few. I see that in Solr there is as well
> quite a few unreleased changes.

> on holidays the next few weeks but I would like to gauge the interest in the
> community to have a new release soonish.

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Provided there are no reproducible failures, I'll spin up an RC in
12-16 hours time.

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 5:35 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> No problem and thanks Uwe!
>
> On Fri, 3 May, 2019, 5:33 PM Uwe Schindler, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 8.1 Jobs are running on Jenkins since this morning - sorry for the delay.
>>
>> Uwe
>>
>> -----
>> Uwe Schindler
>> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
>> https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
I'll spin the RC as soon as SOLR-13276 is pushed to the branch.

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 1:03 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Provided there are no reproducible failures, I'll spin up an RC in
> 12-16 hours time.
>
> On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 5:35 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > No problem and thanks Uwe!
> >
> > On Fri, 3 May, 2019, 5:33 PM Uwe Schindler, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> 8.1 Jobs are running on Jenkins since this morning - sorry for the delay.
> >>
> >> Uwe
> >>
> >> -----
> >> Uwe Schindler
> >> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> >> https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
As Đạt mentioned in this issue, nothing more needs to be done for 8.1.
I'm starting with the RC building.

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 2:58 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll spin the RC as soon as SOLR-13276 is pushed to the branch.
>
> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 1:03 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Provided there are no reproducible failures, I'll spin up an RC in
> > 12-16 hours time.
> >
> > On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 5:35 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > No problem and thanks Uwe!

Re: Lucene/Solr 8.1

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
On my systems (JDK 8), the following test is failing 100% in branch_8x
and branch_8_1. Seems like this is not the case in Jenkins.

ant -Dtestcase=TestSolrCloudWithHadoopAuthPlugin test

Looking into what could be wrong with my system. Has anyone
seen/experienced this before?

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 3:04 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> As Đạt mentioned in this issue, nothing more needs to be done for 8.1.
> I'm starting with the RC building.
>
> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 2:58 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'll spin the RC as soon as SOLR-13276 is pushed to the branch.
> >
> > On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 1:03 AM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Provided there are no reproducible failures, I'll spin up an RC in
> > > 12-16 hours time.

12