Metrics 4 upgrade and Ganglia reporter removal

Metrics 4 upgrade and Ganglia reporter removal

Andrzej Białecki-2
Hi all,

I’d like to draw your attention to SOLR-12461: Upgrade Dropwizard Metrics to 4.0.5 release.

The upgrade would've been straightforward if not for the fact that Dropwizard removed support for Ganglia reporter in 4x due to a transitive LGPL dependency (on remotetea).

We have to upgrade this library on master - version 3x is not compatible with Java 11 (due to the internal use of sun.misc.Unsafe), so the Ganglia reporter on master is a goner either way. The question remains what to do about 8x.

We could stick to Metrics 3 on branch 8x in order to preserve back-compat, but Metrics 4 contains many important bug fixes and improvements so it’s a shame to have to keep using Metrics 3 for the complete lifecycle of 8x... I’m rather inclined to break the back-compat (ever so slightly ;) ) for the greater good - do the upgrade and remove Ganglia in 8x, and put a note in CHANGES to that effect.

What do people think about this?

Andrzej Białecki

Re: Metrics 4 upgrade and Ganglia reporter removal

Andrzej Białecki-2
Judging from the resounding silence ;) it’s not a topic that people lose sleep over… I’ll go ahead then and do the upgrade + removal, both in master and in branch_8x. Feel free to chime in if you feel otherwise.