Multiple schemas?

timrobertson100
Hi,
Would I be correct in thinking that for each schema I want, I need a new
SOLR instance running?

Thanks

Tim

Re: Multiple schemas?

Daniel Papasian
tim robertson wrote:
> Hi,
> Would I be correct in thinking that for each schema I want, I need a new
> SOLR instance running?

Hey Tim,

Documents aren't required to have all of the fields (it's not a
database), so what I would do is just have all of the field definitions
in a single schema.xml file.

That approach would only be a problem if you needed to have a field name
mean one thing some of the time and something else another -- I'd
suggest using consistent naming so that fields named the same way were
treated the same way, and then using a single solr instance.

Daniel

Re: Multiple schemas?

Yonik Seeley-2
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 3:47 PM, tim robertson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Would I be correct in thinking that for each schema I want, I need a new
>  SOLR instance running?

For different search collections, it's generally best to run a
separate Solr instance.
If you need to run multiple in the same servlet container, or need
automated creation of collections, the multicore feature might be what
you are looking for.

Re: Multiple schemas?

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Or use the JNDI approach that's described on the Wiki.  I've used it with Jetty and it works nicely.  Multiple webapp contexts, multiple Solr indices, but a single JVM.

Otis

<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Would I be correct in thinking that for each schema I want, I need a new
>  SOLR instance running?

For different search collections, it's generally best to run a
separate Solr instance.
If you need to run multiple in the same servlet container, or need
automated creation of collections, the multicore feature might be what
you are looking for.

Re: Multiple schemas?

Yonik Seeley-2
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Or use the JNDI approach that's described on the Wiki.  I've used it with Jetty and it works nicely.  Multiple webapp contexts, multiple Solr indices, but a single JVM.

With multiple smaller collections, one might want this (or multicore).
If the collections are big, it's best to use a separate JVM.  Among
other benefits, GC pause times will be shorter for a smaller heap.

Re: Multiple schemas?

timrobertson100
Thanks all, for the answers