Need Support - Apache Solr - 20180914

senthil-3

Dear Team,

We need the below clarifications and doubts in the “Apache Solr” and please give us the solution.

1.      Apache Solr is the Database or not ?

2.      The limitation for Apache Solr is 2 billion records and how can we increase it (unlimitted) ?

3.      How many users can use / access Apache Solr through web application at a time ?

Thanks & Regards

SENTHIL KUMAR P

Team Leader

Office: +91-4362-243433

Skype: syxsenthilp

Sardonyx Technologies Pvt. Ltd.,

Thanjavur - 613007

www.sardonyx.in

sardonyx_logo

signature-1

Re: Need Support - Apache Solr - 20180914

Shawn Heisey-2
On 9/14/2018 1:09 AM, senthil wrote:
> We need the below clarifications and doubts in the “*Apache Solr*” and
> please give us the solution.
>
> 1.Apache Solr is the Database or not ?

Solr is a search index.  It is not database software.  In the broadest
terms, you could CALL the on-disk binary representation a database, but
Solr is not designed to fill a data storage role.

> 2.The limitation for Apache Solr is 2 billion records and how can we
> increase it (unlimitted) ?

Run SolrCloud and use a sharded index.  The limit will increase
depending on the number of shards.  If you have two shards, the index
will be limited to a little over 4 billion documents.

This limit is not in Solr, it is in Lucene, which is the search library
that provides most of Solr's functionality.

> 3.How many users can use / access Apache Solr through web application
> at a time ?

There is no hard limit.  What Solr can handle will depend on the
available system resources.  If you have an extremely high query rate,
then you need many copies of your index and a way to balance your
queries across those copies.  SolrCloud itself provides load balancing,
but there are still situations even with SolrCloud where you will need a
separate load balancer.

One final thought: This mailing list is not appropriate for these
questions.  This list is for discussion about the development of Lucene
and Solr.  Your question belongs on the solr-user mailing list.

Thanks,
Shawn