New Version of GeoPosition Plugin for local searches released

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Version of GeoPosition Plugin for local searches released

Matthias Jaekle
Hi all,

we have expanded the GeoPosition Plugin.

The plugin is now able to accept zip codes as the center of a local search.

For example searching for "hotel de:70174" should bring you all the
pages sorted to the area of Stuttgart, Germany and containing the word
"hotel". 70174 is one of the zip codes of Stuttgart while de is the
ISO3166 code of Germany.

Example on our public search engine:
http://www.umkreisfinder.de/umkreisfinder.php?checkSuchbegriff=on&suchbegriff=hotel+de%3A70174


I would suggest to reserve all ISO3166 country codes infront of a colon
for local searches.


Please feel free to expand the code, add it to the official source tree,
or to do what ever you want.


More documentation: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/GeoPosition
Download: http://nutch.eventax.com/


Matthias

--
http://www.eventax.com - eventax GmbH
http://www.umkreisfinder.de - German local search engine

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Version of GeoPosition Plugin for local searches released

Zaheed Haque
Hello Matthias:

I would like to implement your plugin to my search system. My question
is how do I implement it for Sweden? I mean where do I get the
postioning code from? Also is there any relation between GEOIP and GEO
Position? Can I guess my client is comming from a postion X in Sweden
based on his IP address and serve the results that are near by him
(i.e. hotel close to his town) offcourse he probably is not searching
for hotel close to his town but just an example.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Cheers
Zaheed

On 10/14/05, Matthias Jaekle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we have expanded the GeoPosition Plugin.
>
> The plugin is now able to accept zip codes as the center of a local search.
>
> For example searching for "hotel de:70174" should bring you all the
> pages sorted to the area of Stuttgart, Germany and containing the word
> "hotel". 70174 is one of the zip codes of Stuttgart while de is the
> ISO3166 code of Germany.
>
> Example on our public search engine:
> http://www.umkreisfinder.de/umkreisfinder.php?checkSuchbegriff=on&suchbegriff=hotel+de%3A70174
>
>
> I would suggest to reserve all ISO3166 country codes infront of a colon
> for local searches.
>
>
> Please feel free to expand the code, add it to the official source tree,
> or to do what ever you want.
>
>
> More documentation: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/GeoPosition
> Download: http://nutch.eventax.com/
>
>
> Matthias
>
> --
> http://www.eventax.com - eventax GmbH
> http://www.umkreisfinder.de - German local search engine
>
>


--
Best Regards
Zaheed Haque
Phone : +46 735 000006
E.mail: [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Version of GeoPosition Plugin for local searches released

Matthias Jaekle
Hi,

> I would like to implement your plugin to my search system. My question
> is how do I implement it for Sweden?
First you need a file with domains and their locations, e.g.:
http://www.stockholm.com 62.123 15.123
...

> I mean where do I get the
> postioning code from?
There might be databases with ZIPs and their position.
For Germany we find them somewhere in the web.

> Also is there any relation between GEOIP and GEO
> Position?
What exactly do you mean with GEOIP?

> Can I guess my client is comming from a postion X in Sweden
> based on his IP address and serve the results that are near by him
> (i.e. hotel close to his town) offcourse he probably is not searching
> for hotel close to his town but just an example.
In Germany this would be very inaccurate.
This depends how IP addresses are distributed in Sweden.

The plugin is currently not ranking after the distance.
It also does not limit the results if you do not search with a position.

So you could change the code for ranking and/or limiting the results
according to geographic informations.

Matthias