Not grokking a step in the Nutch tutorial

S L

Not grokking a step in the Nutch tutorial

S L
Hi,

I'm setting up my first nutch environment. I'm following the steps in this
doc:

https://wiki.apache.org/nutch/NutchTutorial

 I'm not grokking this last line in the "Setup Solr for search" section:

   -

   add the core name to the Solr server URL: -Dsolr.server.url=
   http://localhost:8983/solr/nutch

Am I supposed to be editing some file? Should I be adding something to
Solr's server/solr/configsets/nutch/conf/solrconfig.xml file?

Thanks.

Re: Not grokking a step in the Nutch tutorial

Sebastian Nagel
Hi Sol,

if you followed the instructions in
  https://wiki.apache.org/nutch/NutchTutorial#Setup_Solr_for_search
then just add
  -Dsolr.server.url=http://localhost:8983/solr/nutch
as command-line argument to "bin/nutch index ..."  In case, host, port
or Solr "core" are changed you have to modify the solr.server.url property.

Best,
Sebastian

S L

Re: Not grokking a step in the Nutch tutorial

S L
Thanks for your help, Sebastian. Their example of indexing into Solr is
"bin/nutch index http://localhost:8983/solr ..." without the -D
solr.server.url=
part. I get it now.

Thanks, again.

Sol

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Sebastian Nagel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sol,
>
> if you followed the instructions in
>   https://wiki.apache.org/nutch/NutchTutorial#Setup_Solr_for_search
> then just add
>   -Dsolr.server.url=http://localhost:8983/solr/nutch
> as command-line argument to "bin/nutch index ..."  In case, host, port
> or Solr "core" are changed you have to modify the solr.server.url property.
>
> Best,
> Sebastian
>

> On 09/11/2017 07:38 PM, Sol Lederman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm setting up my first nutch environment. I'm following the steps in
> this
> > doc:
> >
> > https://wiki.apache.org/nutch/NutchTutorial
> >

> >  I'm not grokking this last line in the "Setup Solr for search" section:
> >
> >    -
> >
> >    add the core name to the Solr server URL: -Dsolr.server.url=
> >    http://localhost:8983/solr/nutch
> >
> > Am I supposed to be editing some file? Should I be adding something to
> > Solr's server/solr/configsets/nutch/conf/solrconfig.xml file?
> >
> > Thanks.

Re: Not grokking a step in the Nutch tutorial

Sebastian Nagel
Hi Sol!

thanks. Good catch! That's wrong now since Nutch supports not only Solr but also many more indexing
backends.  I'll update the wiki page. But if you're interested in helping to improve the
docs, we're happy to grant you permissions to edit the wiki.

Thanks,
Sebastian

S L

Re: Not grokking a step in the Nutch tutorial

S L
Sebastian,

If you and others will help to clarify things I'm happy to improve the Wiki.

Thanks!

Sol

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Sebastian Nagel <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi Sol!
>
> thanks. Good catch! That's wrong now since Nutch supports not only Solr
> but also many more indexing
> backends.  I'll update the wiki page. But if you're interested in helping
> to improve the
> docs, we're happy to grant you permissions to edit the wiki.
>
> Thanks,
> Sebastian
>
> On 09/11/2017 09:06 PM, Sol Lederman wrote:
> > Thanks for your help, Sebastian. Their example of indexing into Solr is
> > "bin/nutch index http://localhost:8983/solr ..." without the -D
> > solr.server.url=
> > part. I get it now.
> >
> > Thanks, again.
> >
> > Sol
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Sebastian Nagel <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Sol,
> >>
> >> if you followed the instructions in
> >>   https://wiki.apache.org/nutch/NutchTutorial#Setup_Solr_for_search
> >> then just add
> >>   -Dsolr.server.url=http://localhost:8983/solr/nutch
> >> as command-line argument to "bin/nutch index ..."  In case, host, port
> >> or Solr "core" are changed you have to modify the solr.server.url
> property.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Sebastian

> >> this

> section:

Re: Not grokking a step in the Nutch tutorial

Sebastian Nagel
Great! Please, create an account on
  https://wiki.apache.org/nutch/FrontPage?action=newaccount

And send us your wiki user name to grant you write permissions.
The wiki has been flooded by spam a while ago, that's why we need
this slow verification step.

Thanks,
Sebastian